Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 Firmware 2.3, V-log for $99, Epic Panasonic marketing fail
  • 1451 Replies sorted by
  • @discomandavis I agree but I feel this is going to be like Cine-D / Cine-V when people first tried it out. It's going to take a few weeks/months in the community to figure out the best settings and workflow. I hope this is the case.

• Nick Driftwood tweeted that the zebra problem is to do with the workaround, sounds like it shouldn't be an issue in the paid for version.

• Oh @discomandavis I thought you meant vertical noisy banding (not sure why), but you mean color banding right? I haven't shot anything that it would've shown up in, but that is something that I do expect.

• OMG, after over an hour, no luck downloading a workable 2.3 even off of Panasonic's site, I think they have caught on and are blocking it... Thank you Vitaliy for that link: http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SCANNER-Digital-CAMERA-WEBCAM/Panasonic/Panasonic-DMC-GH4-Camera-Firmware-23.shtml finally got it installed!!!! Can't wait to test this tomorrow!

• many are reporting vastly improved skin tones.

• I should know this by now, but is IRE equal to percentages on zebras? If Vlog clips at 79 IRE is it best to set zebra to 80% and back off a bit? What about skin tones?

• Skin tones are so much nicer. I think it might be worth playing with iResolution set to Low to reduce banding.

• 80 percent zebras will never kick in... at least not now.

• Strange - 80% zebras are working for me.

• oh, wow... I forgot to check my settings, I thought I was still set at 80%, you are right. AND you can set zebras just about whereever you want, now. I have mine set now at ZEBRA 1 - 70% and Zebra 2 and 75%, that's a nice new feature. [my apologies if this isn't new, I hardly ever use them]

• @shian - Pedestal and Luminance Level are greyed out using this. I wonder which the luminance level is actually set to?

• @nobbystylus The skin tones look great. In a well lit room I am also seeing very slight banding on screen, in camera recording and even over 10-bit HDMI.

• So what LUTs are people using with vlog ? , seeing as there are no official ones for the vlog profile out there yet from the likes of filmconvert and impulz

• Some people use the Varicam35 VLog LUT:

http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/varicam/35/dl.html

Also some people have made custom ones:

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/9419-v-log-unlocked-for-free/?do=findComment&comment=107049

Or just use an Alexa log to Rec709 LUT.

(Edit - mind blown about second link name...)

• @dial that's because banding is mostly caused by codec compression and not color depth.

• I wonder why there is banding even with 10 bit uncompressed output.

• I shot this yesterday, and I've noticed some sky banding in 4K, and alot in 96fps HD. The DR and color is awesome though. Much improved.

• @GeoffreyKenner I'm seeing slight banding on the LCD display as well as the clips.

Overall I'm surprised with the results on a 8-bit 264 codec and will be further testing it at a shoot this weekend.

• @aaronchicago that is awesome footage, and is very encouraging. There is banding just like you said. But that DR is very very encouraging! I havent gotten a chance to play with DR yet. But I guess I know what I will be doing today... I am also digging the highlight roll off very very much, this straight up looked like Alexa footage. Wood you mind telling us how you approached grading? Luts and all that goodness.

• @discomandavis thanks. I used the Cineon converter in Premiere. LOG to Linear setting. After that a little bit of contrast and saturation but thats pretty much it.

• Liking the grade @aaronchicago . With such impressive color science in V-Log mode, it makes me wonder why the other profiles are so different to begin with. I hope all the [movie] profiles lean this direction on a future GH5. They could sell those cameras for the 4K 60P and sweet skin tones all day long.

• @aaronchicago. Nice work! The cineon converter certainly brings it into a nice look. Less magenta and washed out that any of the Varicam or Arri Luts. V-Log L is definitely shaping up.

• To Vitaliy will like this. ;-)

• Thanks @tron and @nobbystylus. Yeah Cineon has the best color from what I've seen. Varicam LUT has a little bit better exposure control. It's brighter and more saturated, but has a pink tint. The Alexa LUT is just too yellow.

• @aaronchicago lots of underexposed shots, but I guess if you are going for that highlight protected low key look it works well. Colors are great.