Personal View site logo
Sony A7r II new 4K FF beast with 5 axis stabilizer
  • 376 Replies sorted by
  • For me 1080p - 14Bit Color Depth over any 4k 4:2:0 Camera, but it seems to be a great camera.

• Gear won't save anyone. Want to make a movie, buy a Black Magic camera. Want to take photos buy a DSLR. Want hands free stabilised shots you buy an Olympus EM5. The 5 axis stabilisation is shit going on past record, may as well not be on there....you will need external stabilisation or post.

• Gear won't save anyone. Want to make a movie, buy a Black Magic camera.

Logic...

The 5 axis stabilisation is shit going on past record, may as well not be on there....you will need external stabilisation or post.

What?

• I saw a mention that lens stabilization and in camera stabilization will work together? Was that the case in previous Sonys? Maybe this will be interesting especially in crop mode super 35. That being said it's to much money for me :( so hopefully it has some fatal flaw to make me feel better : )

• Very interested in seeing how Sony moves forward with the next A7S model...faster read out/less rolling shutter and overcranking (120fps @ 1080p and 4k 60fps would make me a happy camper). I wonder how the A7R's 4k image will stack up against my A7S+Shogun. Let's all remember that these are tools! Quality of content is always going to be key regardless of what camera you own.

• Uses the same battery as the a7s, rated for only 290 shots. Breathtakingly bad.

So yeah that just made this camera completely unusable for weddings and event shooting unless you rig it with an external battery.

Also on the photo side it still uses heavily compressed raw and doesn't have a second card slot.

• Well, the A7S comes very close to the Red Scarlet in quality when recorded externally. The Scarlet runs maximum 25 minutes with it's battery in the handgrip, about half as long as the Sony. It needs to be rigged with an external, heavy V-mount holder and battery for reasonable running times.

How big is a decent external battery for the Sony? Just saying…

• Sony should talk to the Panasonic engineers about their secret sauce for extended battery life. The GH4 has crazy long battery life compared to my A7s.

• If Sony would just change their cameras to allow them to shoot while on USB power (maybe the camera's power demands exceed what the USB port can take in), it'd be possible to use extremely inexpensive/small USB battery packs not much bigger than a pack of gum to power them.

• So yeah that just made this camera completely unusable for weddings and event shooting unless you rig it with an external battery.

Or, I don't know, put an extra battery in your pocket? Or use the battery grip with two batteries?

It's a small camera with a small battery, smaller than any DSLR. I think your expectations are unrealistic. Anyway I get 90 minutes of video shooting on one charge. Not terrible.

• I'm kind of surprised to see Slog2 and not SLog3 here. Is Sony reserving Slog3 for only their high end cameras? I thought they would be pushing it for all their cameras capable of shooting log.

• S-Log3 is appropriate for a camera with a larger dynamic range than this. Plus S-Log3 is only good if you have 10 bits. S-Log3 wouldn't have enough precision with 8 bits. L-Log2 is ok with 8 bits.

• Ah that makes sense, I hadn't considered the bit depth.

• My generic batteries last 72 minutes when I'm shooting to the Shogun. Less if shooting internally.

• Only pros left for Panny right now: fully articulated screen with touch and a proper record button.

Sony is closing the gap and leading in all other features.

• http://www.eoshd.com/2015/06/finally-something-worth-talking-about-sony-a7r-ii-with-internal-4k-rx10-ii-with-980fps-slow-mo-watch-the-sample-footage/

One thing is clear – almost all out cameras are made firmly obsolete in a technological sense by the A7R II. Whether that power on paper translates into feelings and ideas however, is not always the case.

• Proper form

One thing is clear – almost all out cameras are made firmly obsolete in a technological sense by the X.

P.S. Please replace X with any latest camera name.

• What did you not understand about Stabilization. The Sony A7II 5 axis is awful, you think its gonna be radically different?

• What does everyone think of the sample 4K video by Sony: Is it indicative of a decent dynamic range and low light sensitivity? How does the video seem as compared against the A7s?

• The Sony A7II 5 axis is awful, you think its gonna be radically different?

Let's just stop it, ok?

• Voldemort's main point is that we have been whining for one camera that does it all, and , for the first time, we have it. But, Sony giveth and they taketh away. With the introduction of the latest RX cameras, we are back to wanting two cameras, one for everything we used to want, and an RX for slow motion. Pretty good trick. BTW, the reason I post this here rather than on Voldemort's cave wall is because PV allows a lively exchange, and, in particular, allows its members to initiate new topics.

• Main issue with this camera is lack of 60fps 4K mode and lack of H.265 may be even 10 bit one, two technologies that will be standard for all cameras soon.

And it is pricey, hence very big potential for discounts (we will have it at the $1000-1200 body area in 1.5 years).

• Sony knows what they are doing. They want us to buy one main camera for the heavy lifting and an a7 model for where lite cameras come in handy. My prediction is the a7SII will have 4K 60fps, but will still be 8-bits and no S-log3. They have to protect their video cameras and they can hold onto their cards with another update for next time.

• we will have it at the $1000-1200 body area in 1.5 years

... and 8K cameras so no one will care about this by then