Personal View site logo
Video/audio professionals are a***oles?
  • 33 Replies sorted by
  • Psychology Today: Internet Trolls Are Narcissists, Psychopaths, and Sadists

by Jennifer Golbeck, Ph.D.

In this month's issue of Personality and Individual Differences, a study was published that confirms what we all suspected: internet trolls are horrible people.

Let's start by getting our definitions straight. An internet troll is someone who comes into a discussion and posts comments designed to upset or disrupt the conversation. Often, it seems like there is no real purpose behind their comments except to upset everyone else involved. Trolls will lie, exaggerate, and offend to get a response.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/your-online-secrets/201409/internet-trolls-are-narcissists-psychopaths-and-sadists

• The only forums I've visited that I I haven't seen this sort of thing are related to Ferrari ownership and drumming.

I saw another very friendly forums. It also depends on owner and moderators team.

• The only forums I've visited that I I haven't seen this sort of thing are related to Ferrari ownership and drumming. Maybe passion vs professional career also plays a part?

• Though to be honest, after spending a few years on a 3D forum - you WILL get to the point that you're tired of newbies ignoring Stickies and Search, endlessly asking "how do I make XYZ effect?"... especially when the effect they're asking about took a team of 10 people and 2 months of work. ;)

Nothing new or forum specific. With time forum become like company of people who know each other for long, have their own habits and shared knowledge. In usual life it is always some strong barrier preventing new people to join such group. It is hard. On forums it is easy. Absence of real life communication (ability to see face and intonations) removes last barrier that is always present in usual communications.

• It's not just camera forums; spend a few years on 3D forums, and you'll see the same thing.

Though to be honest, after spending a few years on a 3D forum - you WILL get to the point that you're tired of newbies ignoring Stickies and Search, endlessly asking "how do I make XYZ effect?"... especially when the effect they're asking about took a team of 10 people and 2 months of work. ;)

• It's so unprofessional to troll at the forums with hobbyists, sometimes with your real name.

If you can't troll in real life, you troll at forums. In usual life most of this guys are afraid even to touch a fly.

• I make my living with something else. And it's extremely rare to find those assholes in my business. It's so unprofessional to troll at the forums with hobbyists, sometimes with your real name. Of course there are exceptions, but among video/audio professionals, it's definitely more common from what I have seen.

• Being asshole has nothing to do about being professional or video/audio professional. If someone became asshole - he is asshole, without relation to this qualities. :-)