Personal View site logo
Small skater dollies
  • 37 Replies sorted by
  • @Rambo

I know about it for long.
    Idea is interesting, but approach has numerous flaws.
  • I found one a week ago that runs $60. I'll edit this post with a link as soon as I get home in front on my computer.
  • I find my self using a skater dolly the most out of the slider and jib that I own ..I like that its compact and nearly works on every flat surface ..The one you posted here looks great
  • What the typical use case for a skater dolly? Isn't the lack of height adjustment a very limiting factor?
  • good for table top shot I reckoned.
  • @PixCanFly Yeah, I get that :) But what if you want a creep / side at eye level? I dunno, I've only got a standard dolly at the moment and in all honestly I can't see myself using a skater dolly that much, so I'm surprised to see sammy say he uses it the most. It makes me wonder if I'm missing some obvious here!
  • Ditto on any flat surface, even vertical walls, round steel poles, street signs, car roof/hood etc, so quick and easy to get a steady motion effect and fits in the suitcase for travel.
  • Here's an idea to get more height an infinite adjustment. The arms are from this post.
    http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/71/mounting-your-accessories.-arms.-clamps.#Item_16
    PicoPico-15-of-19-300x200.jpg
    300 x 200 - 19K
  • guys,there is many ways to get height, just need to think outside the box a little bit..how about a moveable portable flat surface with adjustable height ...you got options ..it wont be the most stable option *between large dolly,slider,or crane, but with careful movement it will be very close ..
  • The Proaim Skater Dolly is only good as long as you drive straight. If you're trying to do curves with it, it becomes pretty much unprecise. I have tested it and I can not recommend it.

The best one I have seen on IBC 2011 was one from Konova (there were more manufactures, but Konova performed best). I don't know if it was just a very good sample, but it was able to drive in circles around a center spot without drifting to the side.

BTW: The accessory arm solution for mounting the camera is good. If you need more stability, you should buy a small weight for a dumbbell and simply add it to the centre where the accessory arm is located (make sure it's not too big, else it will block the wheels).

Cheers
    Tony
  • I use my slider lots, never used the skater on 6 years. YMMV.

• I just got a Pico Dolly with a 7" arm, and used it on a project this weekend with my GH2. I'm a little disappointed. I would have loved to mount the camera right in the middle of the dolly, so the lens was maybe half an inch from the ground... but the dolly's not long enough, and the central screw isn't easily removed.

Using the arm was difficult, as the weight of the camera was a bit much for it, and the 7" arm doesn't have a lot of play so that one might, perhaps, attach the camera via the hotshoe. It's also tricky to attach the arm, as you have to twist it on the screw at both ends-- attaching the arm to the camera on the tripod mount, and then, attaching the arm to the camera.

It's well made, and with a ballhead mount or a small monopod, it's great for shots where you can use a table for the "track." I'd hoped to get shows that were very close to the ground; and while I managed to do it, it was very difficult. I

If anyone has suggestions for getting those very-low dolly shots, let me know.

• I use cine skater, very stable ...

WP1000536.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 136K
  • I have this kind of dolly (as pictured in the first post).

Not so happy about it. Micro vibrations transmits to the camera and I have to apply stabilization in post.

And yes, I had very smooth surface.

• I'm actually working on a commercial for a Cinetics Cine Skater as I type this. I should be getting their MOCO rig, which uses this dolly as its basis perhaps, any day now.

I've also got the Pico Dolly, which I like a lot. I've been meaning to construct a stable, smooth track that I can elevate for it to do higher shots where a table or counter isn't available. I must admit, I wanted to smack myself in the head when I read the above post about using it on walls, poles, etc. and thinking outside the box. Great idears.

• Here's the completed spot for Cinetics (FS700)...

...I did all of the "digital opticals", the glows and such, not the motion graphics which, AFAIK, were provided to the director by Cinetics themselves. I'm gonna have to talk to them about upgrading those, or at least their logo portion.

• hi, 49 $ bit changed runs fine. Thanks for watching

• I bought a neoprene mat made especially for table dollies. This on top of a simple plank of wood and some levelling wedges made from timber off cuts makes for great lo-level shots. I have a decent ball and socket mount on mine - found a magic arm a bit flimsy - and it's a great way to use a macro lens too.

• I'd like to investigate the possibility of moving my table dolly using a small electric motor to winch the dolly along. This would be especially useful for macro work, where any variation in dolly speed really shows up. Ideally I'd be able to vary voltage and thus utilise different speeds. Splining the moves isn't important but a constant speed would be. I'm pretty clueless in terms of electrics, so any model hobbyists or similar out there who could chime in - much appreciated. I got as far as considering adapting the axle of a miniature slot racing car as one possible avenue..

• http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=117&cp_id=11701&cs_id=1170103&p_id=10274&seq=1&format=2

new product to Monoprice, I dont think I ever seen any dolly listed close to $25, i will give one try, I have bought many cables for my recording studio via monoprice, they are located in my city, i will give this one a try , for only $25 this is worth the try

• @sammy

Plenty of them on ebay or amazon :-) Prices are low today.

• oh k )