Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • if it will comes up... no news about it?

• BMPCC Speedbooster in stock at B&H. Mine just shipped out.

• @last_SHIFT

We have topic about this product, use it, please.

• Hey guys, here is a trailer to a short film I shot/edited. The talking heads were shot on the BMPCC with the 7-14mm, all the action shots were 60d's, with a GH2 (Moon T7) slipped in occasionally. I'd love to know what you think and thanks to Captain Hook for the LUT and to all of you guys for the knowledge sharing.

• @vicharris Those shots look damn good. 1st one in particular does have a "pro cinematic" look to it. Very cool.

• As some of you may know I have been squirrelling away in my own little SkunkWorks tinkering about creating a wireless remote control system for operating the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera.

In an effort to move the development to the next level I now proudly announce the commencement of a new CrowdFunding Kickstarter campaign to raise the funds to build and refine the prototype and the associated software and Android App.

• @DocoDocoMan Can't wait to see what you've been working on. As soong as the link is available, I'll be donating!

• @DocoDocoMan I got curious so I found the kickstarter. The audio on your video sounds really funky like it was recorded inside a silo or something. Otherwise, it looks pretty neat!

• @matt_gh2 Thanks man. I really love that first one too. The natural grain in it is just tits! Though it was lit professionally and I'm starting to get the hang of Resolve.

• @vicharris Actually that 1st shot reminds me of the look of Breaking Bad - really well done.

• @derek You have some pretty bad sensor pattern going on in that graded version. Is that what you were trying to show us here?

• Quick grade of frames from an upcoming shoot I did with My GH2 (Moon T7) and BMPCC RAW... GH2 still holds its own;) I'll post the video soon:

00036-001 (15-17-51-08).jpg
    1280 x 720 - 714K
    ehutsqa_1.10.1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    elephant (79) (13-40-00-11).jpg
    936 x 527 - 278K
    heit_1.9.1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    onatop_1.20.1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • Is there anybody who use raw4pro? It looks usefull to me, because I can have compressed video (less space, but preserving the power of raw) and I can use the files directely in Premiere (so I can use LUT and other grading plugins). DNXhd is open source, but it seem that it try to aply a AWB... I will apreciate if someboty that has/use this will share some toughts. If I have to pay 30$ for it, I want to be sure it worhs... Thank you!

• @lunalobo75

Attachments are not made for big amount of images, image hostings are for this.

• @crispvpl

I bought the program wich is actually kind of buggy, did not put a lot effort into it. Doesn't seem to do anything better then the free resolve version (with wich you can convert into a compressed video format, also DNxHD, faster then any other program).

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev My apologies, Vitaly. Thanks for letting me keep a few frames up; I'll make sure to use image hosting next time. @crisvpl I have Raw4Pro and it's a pretty good program. It will also convert your Compressed .DNG to uncompressed so you can use it in Premiere, or just export out a proxies or DnxHD 175x, etc. Pretty nifty program Alex made adn it's a pretty fast transcoder too.

• Hello once again pocket camera users and personal view peeps! Just going to share another video and an experience with the camera. My production team and I had our last wedding of 2013 on the 21st of December. Being here in BC Canada, it was gloomy, dark and depressing to the eyes. Not the best conditions to film a wedding in.

So I shot the wedding with the pocket camera the whole day with ProResHQ. I pulled out the GH3 on a few shots for steadicam and long speeches for the DVD. One of the hardest things for me to deal with that day was lighting. It was difficult to get light into the hotel rooms, bedrooms, church and reception. (for some reason wedding planners like to turn down the lights ALL THE TIME at receptions... BLEH!!) I rolled with the Lumix 14 and 20mm, Canon FD 28mm 2.8, Nikon 50mm 1.4, and it still was hard to get any light. Thank god for ProresHQ being very robust!

The 2nd bugger of the day was the fact that I only had two 64GB cards the whole day. But me being a story teller by eye kind of guy, i just picked pretty angles, important moments and stuff like that for filming and always rehearsed moves with my trusty konova slider. (Always have a laptop handy for dropping off footage! I learned the hard way! I filmed so little at times worrying i won't have enough memory.)

Its such a shame the camera can't tell you how much footage or room you have left on your card. But the handy thing is that the warning that says "Card Full" actually comes up at around 40+ GBs used. So you don't have to panic as much because you have quite a reasonable 20gb safe zone in case the scene you were filming was going longer than you had hoped for.

Conclusion, I am a crazy fool to try filming a whole day with 1 hour of memory on a gloomy day, with a run and gun setup on a camera not really designed for it. BUT, I love the experience and the learning curve and the feeling of preserving memory to wait for that perfect shot. Its exhilarating but also freaking nerve wracking! Editing was fun because I got to make the look I wanted (retro homey film look).

I learned it is Possible to use as a wedding film camera. You just have to have the tools to back you up on the way! I can't wait to make more with this lil bugger and I hope that they make a new menu system and proper audio levels, card space and perhaps a exposure meter to see if you're way underexposed trying to save highlights! GAAH! Anyway I hope you guys are loving you're camera like I am. Below is the video and I hope you like it and I hope to see more of your work!

• @stanlymanly2 interesting stuff! I am going to use my Pocket for a wedding in April and am already worrying about the same things...how many cards I am going to need and such like.

I have the sigma 18-35 1.8 lens with the bmpcc speedbooster so as a lens choice I am pretty much sorted for wide angle, medium shots and also low light work. I will be using the kinotechnik lcd loupe to see the screen better in bright light and also a genustech nd filter. I have a manfrotto monopod for stability and will be using a rode videomic pro for sound.

As for cards..I plan to have 2 64gb 95mbs cards, 3 32gb 95mbs cards and 2 128gb 80mbs cards...which altogether should give me around 5 hours of shooting time. I have 5 official blackmagic camera batteries that should last 5 hours and another half a dozen third part batteries to give me some backup juice!

I still am not sure if the above is adequate for a days filming. I also have a sony rx100 which I may stick on a tripod for long shots like the vows and speeches, and try to integrate that footage with the bmpcc stuff in edit.

• @lmackreath - that's a good idea. I've always stuck an HDTV camcorder on the vows and speeches and then picked up reactions with dslrs

• @mrbill Yeah I am one man team so it gives me the option of alternate angles as wells as saving precious space on my high end sd cards for the bmpcc for pick up shots and reactions. The RX100 can quite happily accept one single 64gb Class 10 Card and film for around 3 hours!

• I don't see the BMDPCC as a good choice for events esp. for weddings. Why? You will end up in a lot of low light situations and the pocket is limited to 1600 ISO where you already will find a lot of noise. You will shoot a lot of footage and even the uncompressed ProRes will bring you tons of GB. You don't have control over audio and a very low audio quality too. If you shoot in video mode you give up flexibility of flat film mode, if you shoot in film mode you will have a lot of work in color grading...

Off course you can shoot a wedding with a pocket but as a professional for whom time means earning money (or not) it would not be the tool of my choice. A C100 will bring you nice skin tones out of camera, it has way better low light images, it has a good image quality even in 4-2-0 but small files, it has XLR audio input with auto setting and limiter, not to forget autofocus which can be very helpful too. I wood even prefer a D60 or a 5DM3 over a BMPCC. just my 2 cts.. (I own a pocket!!)

• @lmackreath Hey hey! you're memory cards appear to be more than enough! if i lasted with 2 64gb cards you're way fine. the batteries are where id be worried though. I brought 3 of the cheap 12v batteries from ebay. it was cold so 1 drained really fast. then as the day went by i only used 1 for the rest of the day. the small batteries, i recommend to only bring as the backup option.

• @peaceonearth If I am honest I would have to agree with you that the bmpcc is not probably the best tool for weddings and I sold my GH2 (which is probably more suited to run and gun) to fund my bmpcc!

I am invested too deep into it now though, with all the extras I have bought, lenses, adapters etc so I will need to learn this new craft of grading and shooting without ois and without baked in images. This is more of a hobby for me than anything so the idea of time wasting for paid gigs is not a problem for me...I have however so far struggled to get the best out of the camera and hope soon I will be producing better results.

• @stanlymanly2 I have 5 official batteries from blackmagic and then 6 ebay ones that dont last half as long, as well as a dual charger so I should be good.