Personal View site logo
GH3 Best Video Settings
  • 814 Replies sorted by
  • @konjow

Agree with maddog15, pretty decent work on grading/color. A hint here and there as noted of the flattened pink-skin things GH3's can do, but mostly you avoided it. Mostly comes out in the up-looking shots "grazing" the side of his cheek a couple times, where you've a single large-ish and similarly lit bit of skin. GH3's seem to want to flatten that sort of "materiel" and add some pink (pale magenta) to the color. Not bad on the shooting editing too. :)

Neil

• sorry, wrong topic///

• @maddog15

Sorry for harsh comment of your grading. On the second thought it looks OK. Just a little too contrasty to my taste and maybe for my monitors. Merry Christmas to you and all others.

• @maddog15 how did you made ​​the color correction?

• @lumixmaxgh3 I used the tools within Premiere Pro CC. Fast Color Corrector, RGB Curves and Three Way Color Corrector. @Vesku Hey no worries. Personal taste and opinion is the reason I started this thread. I'm here to learn just as much as the next person. Personally I appreciate ALL comments especially critiques on how to improve or see things differently. :)

• I think I found the reason why the skin looks muddy on the GH3 at -5 (mostly).

Here's one of the worst case of weird looking skin I saw, the shadow part of the skin is very bright and clay like.

To get a more natural look( still think the footage is garbage) I just removed some magenta hue brightness, might have overdone it...

Looks like the reds on the GH3 might be too bright...

image-000000.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    image-000000.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    image-000000B.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 401K
  • Here is another example, by default the red seems to glow way too much. What do you guys think?

A : Default -5 B : Magenta Hue Brightness down

a.png
    1388 x 780 - 2M
    b.jpg
    1388 x 780 - 1M
  • Huh, that does look a lot better. Maybe do a full grade and then take a look at that with and without the magenta adjustment.

• That's exactly what I was doing...

May not be the best shot to grade as everything in the background was frozen and not so vibrant.

Graded with normal magenta.jpg
    1388 x 780 - 1M
    Graded with the hue ajustment.jpg
    1388 x 780 - 1M
  • Oh, ok, I thought that was just with the magenta adjustment. Then what does it look like with just the magenta adjustment and nothing else?

• @yak

Do you use 0 EV. I almost always underexposure a little with natural, contr -5. Then there is no oversaturated areas because lower exposure brings stuff to highlights and colors. Blacks are still OK because of ligher tone curve.

• @wgtwo The post I made after yours the stills are graded, but like I said there was not much to grade. First post was ungraded, only magenta brightness down

@Vesku I try to shot at 0 EV, I've tried under exposing and over exposing and I always struggle with skin tones. After seeing almost every gh3 video on vimeo, I have not seen good skin tones in any. Almost everyone shoots Natural -4 or -5. When I shoot 0 I'm happy (or just ok) with my tones but the black level looks very harsh.

• @wgtwo Here is a better exemple. Two graded with and without hue and two ungraded with and without hue.

Graded -Hue.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Graded +Hue.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Ungraded -Hue.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 988K
    Ungraded +hue.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1012K
  • Did you guys know about this thread discussing the effect of a magenta filter placed over the sensor? It's very easy to put the gel over the sensor, btw. http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2663/purple-filter-can-improve-image-on-gh1gh2..-project-blue-light/p1

Also, this post by a talented colorists explain some post tricks for skin tones. He uses BMCC but the principle applies to GH3 as well. http://juanmelara.com.au/blackmagic-cinema-camera-davinci-resolve-colour-grading-breakdown/

• Hm, I'll trawl through my footage and find some stuff to test this on myself. A little worried that it might throw the rest of the image out of whack, but I'm guessing it'll be fine.

• @flablo Never saw that post before, makes so much sense now... The magenta would carry more noise being the most luminescent. For my point of view, I cracked the skin tones issue. I've been applying the same hue brightness setting on lots of different footage, always came up with a more uniform and natural looking image (not only in the skin tones)

@wgtwo I'm sure it will better the rest of the image too

Here one last test, one a "red room" the wood having lots of the red hue. Look at A the skin tones being more natural looking and B the way the light falls off very nicely on the corrected image.

first image corrected, second straight from cam.

21.jpg
    1374 x 776 - 1M
    22.png
    1374 x 776 - 1M
    Graded A.jpg
    1382 x 773 - 1M
    Graded B.jpg
    1382 x 773 - 1M
  • Video test GH3 natural -5 -5 -2 -2 grade with davinci resolve 10

please comment anything

• @yak having quickly done a grade test on some footage, I definitely think that Magenta highlights need reducing for correct skin tones on GH3 footage. i still feel that some essential 'detail' is lost in skin tones colour when using -5s across the board so i've gone to -2s for now (apart from NR), but reducing Magenta Highlights by about 7% has certainly brought back a better looking skin tones for me.

• Have to correct something, it's not magenta, the problem is the red channel, to get the skin tones back you need the desaturate and reduce the exposition of the red channel.

• when you say 'reduce the exposition' do you mean nudge down the highlights of the Red channel? With a basic RGB Curve tool i would roll off the top highlights of the RED channel, or with a colour wheel i would select the highlights and move it away from the red / magenta towards its opposite.

• @nobbystylus No it's not the same thing, if you grade with after effect you have to go to hue/saturation, chose only the red channel, and put in -25 to red lightness.

After you do your usual grade.

I'm working on a way to get the same effect in fcpx using motion but it might impossible.

• ok, so its actually only a saturation adjustment for the red channel. Yes easy in AFX using hue/saturation on the red channel only. In FCPx you'd need a plugin to do this. Motion has a 'Channel Mixer' plugin which enables you to take colour out of specific channels so that might do the trick. Resolve would obviously do this no problems also.

• It's not only a saturation ajustment, but a light ajustment on the channel also.

I can't do it with the "channel mixer" in motion, I can only do it with a keying tool, trying to key out some red, still it's not the same.

As for resolve you can do it, but for some reason only a small ajustment of the hue vs luminance trows everything off it looks like a a drawing in "paint"

Here's what I want, less saturation in the red and less brightness too. Before grading I want the most neutral image possible, and it's not the case coming out the gh3 as the red channel and the skin tones are glowing.

nosatadj.jpg
    1270 x 714 - 957K
    satadj.jpg
    1270 x 714 - 939K
  • Why after you do your usual grade? Surely you'd want to do it beforehand, in case it throws something out of whack?

• @wgtwo if you do it after it will trow your grade off.

Here is a grade using natural -5 -5 -5 -5, I like the look the of the red channel, especially the skin tones at :47.

Dirty lens and shaky footage sorry...