Personal View site logo
"Elliot", a feature documentary about a delusional Canadian martial arts hero
  • My friends are in the final stages of completing their documentary called "Elliot". It's based on a guy we met in my home town who produced some horrendously bad martial arts flicks. It started out as a tale of a bad film maker, but as they spent more and more time with the guy, they realized that he was a compulsive liar who duped pretty much everyone in his life.

Here's a link to the kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/339714972/elliot-feature-documentary-film

and the trailer:

From the kickstarter:

Elliot Scott plans on becoming Canada’s first action hero with his third low-budget action film, Blood Fight. This bizarre story spans two years in the life of Elliot, his supportive partner Linda Lum, and their cast and crew of outrageous dreamers striving to achieve success. As Linda tries to ground Elliot in reality and commit to their relationship he retreats further and further into his world of make-believe. Elliot sees himself as a moralistic hero; however, as Linda probes into Elliot’s impressive martial arts history, his Asian lineage, and his tragic past, she begins to unravel all of Elliot's tall tales. With everyone’s hopes and dreams pinned on Elliot, this film asks, “can you believe in your dreams too much before you end up living in a fantasy world?”

What began as a comedic look at a passionate amateur filmmaker unfolds into a shocking and complex examination of how we lie to ourselves. "Elliot" is an unbelievable comedic/drama documentary that blends both cinema-verité and candid interviews to probe for the truth in the most unlikely place.

They shot it on a ton of panasonic gear, HMC150, GH2 and AF100 are all used extensively. Check it out, and if you think it looks cool, throw them a couple of dollars. They're really, really close to putting the finishing touches on it. I've seen the Completed movie and it's excellent. Sad and funny at the same time.

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • I'm really looking forward to seeing this. You can't write this kind of material.

• I've seen the full thing, it's excellent. It really unravels in a strange and hilarious way, and the ending is dynamite. The guy is quite a character to say the least.