Personal View site logo
Driftwood Cluster X series 3:│moon T7│ЅріzZ T6│Nebula T7│Drewnet T9│
  • 1811 Replies sorted by
  • Did a mini-doc with my GH2 and the Moon 7 hack.

• Hey @Bozzie! thanks so much for you tweet it! We definitely have to set up a twitter account, we are promoting it this week so I will add that to the list.

@Aashay "addiction to avoid facing the past" SPOT ON. We rented the Ikan ID 500 LED 3-Light Kit (http://www.borrowlenses.com/product/Lighting/ikan_led) pretty cheap to rent ($118/3day) but they did input a good amount of power so we used them to flood the scene with light to stay at a low ISO. About the patch, Im actually not extremely technical with the patches so I tried it and I really enjoyed the results (specially on closeups) so I stick with it.

@spacewig @cjdincer @olegkalyan @dbp thanks so much for the kind comments.

• @charpu

Really enjoyed your short, I was into it from the moment it started and it held my interest until the end. Can't say that about many shorts out there (including my own)

Great stuff!

• @charpu.. mate you took "addiction to avoid facing the past" to another level. Well done! I really enjoyed it. It's amazing that you achieved this with practically no gear. Could you tell us more about the lights you used? Just 3 LEDs? Wattage? Any particular reason, why you still went for IV patch over Moon and others? Thanks

• Great film, CHARPU congrats!

• @CHARPU Cool short. Really like the premise. I've tweeted the video (https://twitter.com/RumbleGum/status/389354510641930241), but noticed you haven't got a twitter account for a link back. Should really get one set up.

• @charpu in the future I hope you get more of everything lights, lenses, cams etc. and most, the time and money. you are talented man. keep working.:))

• @Charpu Thank you kindly for sharing your process. The Olympus super grade series of lenses are great and I maintain that they are, investment wise, a better deal than having an equivalent range of prime lenses. Again, fantastic job and good luck with your future pitches.

Cheers

• Hey guys! ( @acauzzi @spacewig @producer @Stylz @cjdincer @WarLightUK) Thanks a lot for the kind coments, here is some info:

It was shoot on the Intravenus patch. We tried to get a lot of light into the scenes to be able to keep the ISO low. It made a huge difference when color correcting it. The shoot was really low budget (not budget really) so we didnt have time to white balance every shot properly, but we did use the smooth profile with everything on -2 to gain a bit more dynamic range.

Gear ways we were really limited, we had a gh2 with an olympus 14-35 f2 and a panasonic 7-14 for the top shot and the falling shot. We also git got a couple of tripods 1 slider and 3 LED lights.

On postpro I used after effects lights to shape the shots and colorista for grading, I also added a bit of noise with film convert. I did use some unsharpening masks on some shots and funny enough we blured other ones that came out too sharp.

Here are some before and after pictures of some of the shots:

Screen Shot 2013-10-12 at 4.59.35 PM.png
    1334 x 554 - 1M
    Screen Shot 2013-10-12 at 5.00.33 PM.png
    1335 x 554 - 821K
    Screen Shot 2013-10-12 at 5.01.26 PM.png
    1337 x 555 - 1M
    Screen Shot 2013-10-12 at 5.02.21 PM.png
    1332 x 556 - 942K
    Screen Shot 2013-10-12 at 5.04.35 PM.png
    1334 x 560 - 1M
    Screen Shot 2013-10-12 at 5.05.48 PM.png
    1336 x 559 - 791K
    5.png
    1229 x 510 - 885K
    6.png
    1227 x 512 - 832K
  • Just a quick test for high-level cinematic look of Drewnet T9 with GH2 and 14-45mm lens, manually focused.

1st part - ProRes (PC Win7), 2nd & 3rd part - DNxHD (601 None).

Do you feel the difference between ProRes and DNxHD?

• Just finished up a video celebrating 100 years of a very cool family-owned company. I used mainly a Canon 5D Mark II, C300 (for super wide interviews at the factory), 7D (for the 60P) and the GH2 with Moon T7 for most of the factory B-Roll. I really love the look of this hack and thought it cut together really nicely. Plus, the size of the camera with the articulating screen made it a joy to work with in tight spaces. The lens of the GH2 is the SLR Magic HyperPrime Cine 12mm T/1.6.

Thanks Driftwood and the rest of this community.

• @CHARPU Good work, enjoyed watching it... Only, the flipped shot at 1:25 is a bit annoying... Car's reg plate and the parking sign on the wall are mirror images... Am I missing "artistic something" here or is it a genuine mistake?

EDIT: Well, looks like it is done to match the interior shots - door opening direction... Hmmmm...

• Hey guys;

Shot this video here with the Driftwood DREWnet hack. Quite pleased with the quality that came out of the GH2 using this hack. Might move into the Moon T5 for the next job though, as I had issues with 60p on a recent shoot that for some reason came out at 25i (user error most likely).

Still, very proud of this... so a big thanks to Driftwood for unlocking this sort of quality out of our little GH2's.

[video]

• @charpu great short thanks for sharing. now everybody is curious about how you made it =))

• @CHARPU Love it. This is what short films should be all about. Engaging and thought provoking. Looked great too. Thanks for sharing.

• @CHARPU: Really great!

Obviously an unsharp mask has used, but how did you get such a soft shapes? Because of the lenses or of the post edit?

• @charpu great job! I too am really curious about the grading. It seems you've removed the harsh elements in the highlights and made the images "creamier" for lack of a better adjective. It almost feels as though a lot of the lighting was controlled in post with vignettes. I'm really impressed.

• Well done Charpu. My taste far exceeds my own talent and I usually don't make it more than a minute into these GH2 user films, even when they're 10 times better than anything I've ever done, mostly because even at 10 times better, they're still pretty far below my standards of 'quality work' (which gives you some idea of how much I still suck at it).

But yours is one of the few that kept me watching right till the end. I still saw a tough of 'amateur' in there, but not nearly enough to 'break the spell' and make me stop watching.

Your premise is original, and would make a very good feature film. I could definitely see this story coming out of Hollywood. Have you considered finding an agent to shop the script around instead of making it yourself?

• Hey @CHARPU, really great work, not just image wise but great sound and storytelling. Would you care to share with us some details on color grading you've set for this work?

• hey @pundit! Thanks a lot! We are not able to put the HD version online yet sorry. We used the Olympus 14-35 f2. Really great lens, its really easy to pull focus, we didnt even had a follow focus. For a couple of wider shots we did use the panasonic 7-14mm

thanks again.

• @CHARPU Awesome work all round! Any chance of seeing a HD version? Couldn't detect any breathing on the focus pulls. What lenses were used?

• Hey guys! We finally released our latest short film (premise for something longer) 100% gh2.

Thanks a lot for all the knowledge!

• I used Moon T5. Sigma 30mm 1.4. I think 640 ISO. 125 Shutter. First Flame

This is at 720p on Vimeo. Original file is so much better looking. Any critique is greatly appreciated.

• These

and
    are the first two movies made ​​with my GH2, lenses Pentax 50mm / F: 2 and 14-40mm /F:2,8 Lumix I used DREWnetT9 (clusterX s3) - thanks Driftwood, set camera to 1080/50i - I think it's best for me, for now . Thanks Vitaliy Kiselev, definitely the world is better with people like you. Sorry for my poor English.

• @Manu4Vendetta

It is the Type 1 card (Blue Card). Currently the fastest from Toshiba at 90 write and 95 read. I really like that they clearly color coded these cards by speed. It makes it easy when shopping for them. I also have a type 3 32GB card which is 90 read and 30 write. It also works well with most of Driftwoods current patches, however it is prone to failure in ETC mode, and at 80 percent speed on the top patches.

Edit.. Holy fukstiks, I don't know how I missed this! http://techtickerblog.com/2013/07/16/toshiba-intros-sd-memory-cards-with-240mbs-write-speed/ I knew faster cards were just around the corner!

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters