Personal View site logo
Advanced 2X CinemaScope Anamorphot
  • This is advance pre-press release information

A completely re-built and re-engineered precision optic. The photo below shows a prototype.

Preliminary Specification:

• super sharp anamorphot utilising optics that won Schneider Kreuznach Academy Awards for technical achievement
    • 4 K aquisition friendly
    • focal range from 0.75 metre to infinity, without dioptres
    • large 50mm rear optic port
    • 2X aesthetic, stunning blue flares and 2X oval bokeh
    • support for Flex-eDrive* focussing accessory
    • supports lenses from 40mm (APS-C) for 2.35:1 format
    • supports lenses from 30mm (APS-C) for 2.35:1 format via Canon RAW 4:3 crop modes
    • lens support for 15mm rod/rail systems included, for quick lens change and assured vertical alignment
    • suitable for manual, auto focus and rotating-front-element lenses
    • push on lens shade included, easily removeable
    • 77mm filter thread included

Flex-eDrive is a planned product which functions as a flexible drive shaft to permit manual or motorised focus via stepper/servo control

Specifications subject to change and improvement

Initially a small batch will be made with follow up demonstration videos.

If you would like to register your interest in this product and be placed on the mailing list, please visit my web page (under construction) and click the contact button.

http://transferconvert.co.uk/cinemania/contact.html

I will use relevant questions to formulate a FAQ support page.

June 2013 John Barlow

Supporting the Indy Film Maker

• 32 Replies sorted by
  • I would like to see test video, specially if chars for Chromatic aberration and distortion. Price approximate would be good since im very interested.

• I'd like to see what lenses it covers in the Epic's 5K ana mode, and if it can handle that resolution.

• I would like pricing and some test chart footage...

• I would like to see test video, specially if chars for Chromatic aberration and distortion. Price approximate would be good since im very interested.

I am holding back on footage until I get the first batch of production units finished, then footage using actual units rather than prototype units will be available. The footage will cover issues such as CA and SA if appropriate.

I'd like to see what lenses it covers in the Epic's 5K ana mode, and if it can handle that resolution.

I wont have an Epic to test the units with, but I can provide high MP RAW stills from DSLR using high quality Nikon N and Canon L lenses as well as a few vintage classic lenses.

I would like pricing and some test chart footage...

Pricing information will follow after the first batch have been produced and I can complete the spreadsheets based on real data from BOM and design and manufacturing labour costs. Instead of test chart data which has embedded performance of the taking lens, my proposal is to show a with and without comparison, so one can guage the effect of the anamorphot on lens performance

• We have an Epic if you need someone to test the lens on it.

• We have an Epic if you need someone to test the lens on it.

Good to know, where are you based?

I am in Liverpool.

• This rod support would benefit from some kind of riser that would allow the anamorphot to fit any baseplate level or camera/lens size.

• for quick lens change and assured vertical alignment

I just figured out that this answers my entry, I just did not get it from the photo.

EDIT: Or it does not. I was thinking about vertical height level, not aligment. Sorry for repeated posts.

• With DSLR the camera plate for rods normally has such a riser plate. I have tested this with some DSLR and found the supplied arrangement is adequate.

However with other aquisition equipment such as RED, BlackMagic etc a riser plate would be useful as there is some distance from the base plate to the optics axis.

There is a cut out on the D block which will take a riser plate of width 40mm with distance between plate screws of 20mm

• Were in the San Francisco Bay Area, so quite far :)

• @johnBarlow in case you don't know about it, I wrote a post about the actual standardized rod to lens mount distance in this post on May 6th. There are links to some good documentation. Make your specs comply and you'll be set.

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/125010#Comment_125010

• I have an update bulletin on Rectilux No 5.

The last weeks have been spent dismantling the first batch of lenses to harvest the very special Schneider glass which is a process not to be undertaken lightly.

I have prepared the parts for modification/fabrication and yesterday delivered the parts with the CAD files to the precision engineering facility.

The precision engineers have given a 4-5 week estimate for completion of the first batch.

After this period the lenses will be assembled, precision aligned and tested. Each one will undergo a testing procedure in line with my policy on quality control.

Pricing will be available after the first batch is tested, when I will have the full costs including BOM and labour actuals on the spreadsheet.

The testing procedure will be quite thorough (alas, no drop tests!!) and I request that should you have any specific test you would like to see happen, just contact me before the end of August.

The end of August should be an exciting time, if all goes well and to plan.

Then there is Rectilux No8............(more later)

• @CFreak

Thanks for the info

• sound amazing, John! WIll be watching closely :)

• Hi Everyone,

I have an update bulletin on Rectilux No 5. The last weeks have been spent performing mechanical tests on the first batch which came back from the precision engineers and some minor adjustments were found to be required in line with my policy on quality control.

The exciting news I have to report is that I have revised the specification above upwards so that the minimum focus is now 0.75m. Thus the focus range is 0.75m to INF without any need for dioptres. I repeat NO DIOPTRES required.

From early optical testing, I found that a minimum focus of 0.75m was achievable with a 1.8/50mm back lens at F1.8. Furthermore this minimum focus is so sharp that a page of Ariel text pt size10 is showing focus peaking at 10x LCD magnification even with the sharpness and contrast on the camera turned to the minimum, which means that 4k video resolution is perfectly achievable throughout the focal and aperture range.

When the mechanical changes have been implemented by the precision engineers, I will embark on more formal testing and provide samples.

• Good to hear John! I think we're all waiting patiently for some samples as well as (even an estimated ballpark) pricing

• Thanks for your interest.

As I said earlier, I am reluctant to quote a price until all costs are in the spreadsheet.

If you are looking for a 'ballpark' figure then I can say with certainty that the price will be significantly less than the current crop of 1.33x adapters under development by others.There will be no hidden costs like hugely expensive dioptres required to paste over design flaws.

Note that this is a 2x adapter, just like the movies and especially suited to 5D3 raw crop modes. The 50mm rear optic port means 1.2/50mm, 2/100mm or 4/200mm back lenses can be used without aperture reflection clipping or loss of exposure. Oval bokeh is guaranteed.

Samples will obviously follow, but in the meantime think about how a three time Academy winning series optic for Technical Achievement, which has been functionally enhanced for 0.75mm focus, can help you tell your story. There is a reason why these things are anodized gold.

• To be specific, Schneider won those awards for projection. Of course you're not trying to imply these are or ever were designed for acquisition or that they're part of the same club as Panavision, et al. That would be disingenuous.

I wonder if the (hidden) cost of the "Flex eDrive" will be lower than that of diopters, necessary to make this a useful adapter for general purpose narrative shooting and without the limitations that all projector-optics have when used for acquisition. I guess you couldn't call that a design flaw since that's what they were designed to do without respect for what an actual filmmaker needs.

It is nice, unlike most other popular projector lenses, that you can use fairly wide angle lenses.

Good luck.

• I am having trouble finding a question in your post. If you are asking whether you need the Flex eDrive to focus at 0.75m with a 1.2/50mm lens then the answer is a resounding NO.

There is no hidden cost for the Flex eDrive, it is a planned future product/accessory which in its basic form is a focus whip. Enhancements will include a gearbox and motor arrangement for those wishing to extend the functionality in use, even wireless if desired. The focus whip version will facilitate steadicam shooting when the Rectilux5 is used with rails -- see this photo

http://www.keepphoto.com/productmedia/015516/015516_new_show2.jpg

• No I was referring to dual-focus. The future product will likely give some form of synchronization and calibration of adapter and taking lens to focus as a unit, yes? Until then all shots are fixed focus like any other application of projection lens for acquisition.

Or have you converted this to a focusable adapter where the taking lens is set to infinity and you only focus the adapter?

• when can we see some test video?

and what about the rectilux n°8 ?

thanks

• Finally a progress report! Very excited, John! :)

• I've got one of these (unmodified)& the glass is truly gorgeous. Would love to see how the hell you got it to focus so close!

Will you be offering a modding service as well?

• No I was referring to dual-focus. The future product will likely give some form of synchronization and calibration of adapter and taking lens to focus as a unit, yes? Until then all shots are fixed focus like any other application of projection lens for acquisition.

Or have you converted this to a focusable adapter where the taking lens is set to infinity and you only focus the adapter?

RectuluxNo5 is an advanced dual focus close focussing anamorphot designed for budget feature, shorts, adverts and corporate work where the prime driver is superior image quality. It is not a Hawk or a Panavision at a knock down price.

RectiluxNo5 will allow owners to shoot the bulk of their projects without the worry of anamorphic mumps distracting the audience from the narrative. For reference purposes, I have uploaded a snippet from the movie Parker

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1904996/ ,

shot with Hawk Vs, to show that RectiluxNo5 could easily shoot the scene in 4k without the needless distraction of anamorphic mumps that are visible at 1:25.

The only movie grade anamorphic which does not have mumps is the new Master series from Zeiss/Arri, of special design to give constant 2x magnification over the whole focus range.

Anyway, enjoy the clip and realise that RectiluxNo5 could shoot this scene on steadicam as it will come ready to fly straight out of the box.

• when can we see some test video?

and what about the rectilux n°8 ?

thanks

Test videos will follow in due course. RectiluxNo8 is a different product and will be unveiled in a new thread at the appropriate time.