Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Advanced 2X CinemaScope Anamorphot
  • 32 Replies sorted by
  • Finally a progress report! Very excited, John! :)

Glad to be of service!

• I've got one of these (unmodified)& the glass is truly gorgeous. Would love to see how the hell you got it to focus so close!

Will you be offering a modding service as well?

A number of people have asked this question, I am not ruling it out but it is more likely to be on an exchange basis for liability reasons.

• Anyway, enjoy the clip and realise that RectiluxNo5 could shoot this scene on steadicam as it will come ready to fly straight out of the box.

Not unless you were lit enough to be stopped down to a point where you didn't have to track focus. Because you can't track focus with this adapter "straight out of the box".

The only movie grade anamorphic which does not have mumps is the new Master series from Zeiss/Arri, of special design to give constant 2x magnification over the whole focus range.

Not true, the Panavision part of Panavision anamorphic lenses, since the anamorphic and taking elements generally aren't made by them and aren't from the same manufacturers on most series, is their focusing technology which removed "anamorphic mumps" from CinemaScope lenses with their variable astigmatiser:

http://www.google.com/patents/US2890622 http://www.theasc.com/magazine/sept03/sub/page2.html

...Panavision applied this engineering directly to B&L CinemaScope lenses and removed their notorious mumps. It's also important to put "anamorphic mumps" into proper perspective. They were a problem to be overcome due to the effect on in-focus, close up photography. That's where the analogy to mumps originates, because it made actors faces (even worse, actresses) too wide when shot in close-up.

The breathing and variable compression that happens in the de-focused portions of the frame, most obvious during focus racks (something the Rectilux cannot do) is part of the aesthetic of the format, to a lot of enthusiasts. It is also an issue operators have to be mindful of which precludes "ping ponging" focus like they can with spherical. In the case of your Parker example, this is operator error that, for whatever reason, ended up in the final cut. The action should have been staged to either hold focus or only shift focus once.

In addition, this wonkyness is more specific to the Hawk lenses which are entirely different beasts from any of the available anamorphic adapters or more common anamorphic systems. Hawks have the anamorphic element in the middle of the optics array, not on the end. That level of distortion to relatively in-focus portions of the frame during focus pulls doesn't happen in the same way with up-front anamorphic designs so it's being misused here.

• Well, it has become very clear to me that you have no interest in this product and I will tell you now, that any further posting in this thread will be considered trolling with a degree of flame baiting thrown in for good measure.

So please, vacate this thread and return to your passion for 1.33x adapters of limited focus through capability, a very short focal length and Fstop range and a diopter-essential fix for close ups and the need to hold the lens 20 inches from your actors faces to get anything approaching oval reflections.

Good Bye :)

• Hah-hah, you couldn't actually address my comments regarding your repeated misrepresentations, eh?