Personal View site logo
Driftwood Cluster X series 3:│moon T7│ЅріzZ T6│Nebula T7│Drewnet T9│
  • 1811 Replies sorted by
  • @Jim_Simon It's fine if you want to be cautious - in the literally millions of pictures and hours upon hours of footage I've shot on digital cameras, it has never been an issue. If you've had negative experiences, I would obviously suggest that you give that more weight than my own. Also, if you have links to people sharing their negative experiences with what happened, it might help dissuade me in the future.

My approach is pretty simple - when the card isn't working, I go through the list of things I can do to get it working.

Out of respect for the voice of caution I will change the order in my instructions and add your concern.

But if memory serves, the reason I tried in the first place originally was because in one case the "recommended" approach didn't work and this did. I've made a habit of switching cards in cameras while the camera is powered on (sometimes dozens of times in one day when doing patch testing) - the important part is to not do while the card is being written to.

• @thepalalias

Eject the card and then turn off the camera.

That's bad advice. You should never remove or insert the card while the camera is powered up.

• Another thing that will trigger that response is if you turn the camera off while its still recording instead of stopping the roll. I know that sounds stupid but I've done it a few times when I was running around like a crazy person. Only way to fix it was pull the card, offload the files and reformat it

• @jebsly Here are the usual possible "toggles", so you can see if any of them help at all.

Option 1) Record a short clip (just a second or two) right after the long clip before doing anything else.

Option 2) Turn off the camera and eject the camera. Re-insert the card and turn on again.

*Option 3) If option 2 did not work, there is an approach that some people advise against but that I've used several times without negative consequence - DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. Repeat step 2, except keep the camera on while removing or inserting the card.

Hopefully at least one of those will do it - I haven't had the issue in a while, so I'm afraid I don't remember the rate of effectiveness.

• gh2 t9 Ob. TAMRON SP 500MM+2XTELEPLUS MC7

• Having a great time using Drewnet T9. Getting some great looking stuff and it's even spanning on my 45mbps card! The only issue I seem to be coming up against is that when it has spanned and I stop the recording, I get an error saying "File limit reached" and I can't record any more, even though the card is nowhere near full. Any ideas?

• @karas Sorry ,should have mentioned GH2. I rarely need spanning so the 'final' will probably be my stock hack. If I need to span then I can either fall back to the beta or use a '95' 64 card. The difference in performance that was noted is I suspect simply due to tolerances in camera & card specs. The main thing is I know where I stand with my kit. In time it will be T7 and the better card.

• @callan I've tried Spizz T6 'final' 1080i PAL on a Lumix G3 with 20/1.7 and SanDisk Extreme 45MB/s 32GB, and it seems to be spanning just fine (stopped manually after 20 minutes @ 72Mbit/s, footage split into 3 files). Passes the "death chart" test as well. I haven't done any real-world tests though. The previous Spizz T6 'beta' was rock solid in all conditions, but with a lower (65-ish) max bitrate.

• DREWnet T9, So far so good. In fact I decided to use it to shot a 'The making of...' for my friend's new short film. Enjoy the test and as always thanks to the man himself @driftwood.

• Depends on the lighting situation.

• I tried shooting with idynamic on and didn't see any real difference. Am I missing something?

• Spizz T6 'final'. 720P 1080i PAL '45'x32Gb sandisk 14-140 pana lens. Records & plays back in camera provided clip is short. ie not spanning. If spanning only 2x 4Gb files recorded before recording stops.File OK in NLE but will not play back in camera.

Repeated this test with previous release of T6. Manually halted recording after 25 minutes. File played back in camera and NLE shows 4 spanned files.

Pretty confident latest T6 would be fine on '95'x 64GB disk.

@ driftwood. Many thanks for your excellent work

• @david1313

Only use the SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 MB card with 95 MB/s specs. Very pricey, but the most reliable.

I've tried the SanDisk Extreme Pro 16 MB / 95 card and it works fine so far on Moon 7 with in-camera playback too. The only problem is the ~10 minute recording time.

• Hello, soon I will make a short film with the moon t7, I have a sd 32 mb and busy recording is paused, I would like to buy one for longer worried for a while, what sd do you recommend?

• I've tested iDynamic in High with Moon Trial 7 and had no issues with it.

• Really enjoy the way Moon T7 grades. Beautiful. Thank you Nick.

• @cbm32221 It means if u are a user of iDynamic set it low. If you don't use iDynamic then it'll be either switched off already or you can turn it off. iDynamic > Low is not tested.

• @driftwood In the description for moon T7, it states that "iDynamic mode on 24p best on Low." Does this mean it's better to set it on low compared to off?

• *** Update News ****

Spizz T6 Released on page 1

Perhaps alarmingly experimental Spizz T6 seems pretty darn good on all modes. Check it out on page 1. Days and days of research have gone into this, indeed chucking out loads of great looking (but unstable iA/iDynamic) settings for a more secure & reliable final T6, this is the culmination of some serious hard work by myself, @bkmcwd and @towi.

T6 tries to be a safe implementation of the GOP3 consuming bitrate according to the picture detail it works very well and a very healthy low QP. Spizz T7 will push some of these new ideas to the extreme.

Spizz T6 Spanning Info so far

• 1080p24 Spans

• 1080i50/HBR25p Spans

• 720p50 Spans

More to check…

We hope you like it. Roll on T7! :-)

• I must say...I am extremely impressed with the quality of Moon T7. Only problem is twice my recording froze. Had to remove battery to reset camera. Stopped recording at 2:02 minutes and 3:01. Both cases the recorded file was not watchable. Would get an error when trying to open or copy and paste. Is this because of no spanning or because my card is only 45MB/S?

• It helps PPro to string spanned clips together.

• @Jim_Simon I can't see why that should make any difference, I usually only copy the stream folder to the HD when doing data dumps from the camera... how could those extra file folders possibly help?

• For anyone using Premiere Pro, the proscribed method of import is to copy the entire PRIVATE folder to the hard drive and use the Media Browser inside of Premiere Pro for importing. There can be issues when importing solid state media any other way.

• @rsquires.

For me it's an ergonomic thing. While the camera itself may well work just fine shooting sports, I personally would hate using it for such. A servo zoom with a pan remote is pretty much a "must have" when I shoot sports.

• @BurnetRhoades

"That's because you don't know what you're doing."

Very probably. :)

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters