Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Cluster X series 3:│moon T7│ЅріzZ T6│Nebula T7│Drewnet T9│
  • 1811 Replies sorted by
  • @lonely1: Definitely! Since the beginning of February T8 is being "refining" - nothing bad, but since this forum was created especially for this purpose and a lot of members are here from all around the world, all we should know already what kind of modification and "refining" is T8 for - the same as we knew for example about GH4 specifications before it was released. Am I right or wrong?

Sorry for my sincerity, but a doubt appears about if T8 is significantly worth, especially if its modifications are based on GH3/4.

• I agree with you producer :) But only Driftwood can give us answers if he has the time to do so. There are a lot of things going on at the moment, makes things more time consuming i guess.

• Guys, just be patient, most likely Driftwood's super busy with other things and he doesn't owe us anything. Also, I wouldn't expect anything miraculous from T8 - there's prolly not much juice left to squeeze from our beloved little GH2s:)

• @brudney, exactly. I don't understand why it's so hard to be patient. I mean, Moon T7 in itself is a blessing. But I guess if you're not busy shooting every week or something, than you have more time to sit around to wait for the next patch because you feel T7 is still not enough.

• Crying begins to sound closer to being spoiled.

• @producer

Hey man chill out!!! Are you paying Nick for these patches? No right?? Then just shut your trap and be patient. Do you know how long it takes to create and test all the different settings to make sure that he can squeeze every last ounce out of the GH2. No right because YOU never created any of these patches from scratch. So until you do and can speak from experience please keep your thoughts about this to yourself..

Nick is nice enough to have created and shared all these wonderful settings with the rest of us please show some respect. Once again he is doing this for for free REMEMBER THAT!!!

• @Azo: Does your mind really allow you to think that all you wrote to me is something I've not been thinking about?!? What I wrote is not a matter of appreciation or critics, it's a question of information!!!

No one said Nick MUST do his work for me , for you, for all of us. So, don't distort my words!!!

Actually, everything costs its price, but some info is what has matter in my post. Just asked for info about changes and modifications of T8, even if that means it will be released on Christmas or later.

• @producer "Sorry for my sincerity, but a doubt appears about if T8 is significantly worth, especially if its modifications are based on GH3/4" I'm not sure that it's possible to base a refinement of Moon T7 on the GH3/4. There seems to be a lot of confusion about what these higher bitrate hacks and different GOP lengths can do for the image quality.

BTW, when are you releasing your film look plugin?

• "There seems to be a lot of confusion about what these higher bitrate hacks and different GOP lengths can do for the image quality" - that's what wrote many times here and unfortunately I proved right. Anyway...

About the plug-in: working on an algorithm inside which can generate and "glut" the picture of GH2 and other poor image cameras, so that it reaches much of what motion pictures have. It's quite hard and difficult process...

• Sample after sample...!... e,e,e, guys will never be happy.Life is beautiful thanks to the fact that it is difficult and full of uncertainties..., but at this time to consider what we want and then look for... luck!

• Guys, step back and look at yourselves. It may help you to understand why releasing a new GH2 patch isn't Nick's highest priority at the moment. For which I don't blame him one bit.

Imagine for a moment that you're him. For the past few years, you've spent hundreds of hours researching and refining a whole family of firmware patches, herding a group of experienced beta testers, and what's more, you've done all of this extremely difficult and time-consuming work for free, allowing anyone to download it and enjoy the wholesale visual improvements it brings to the GH2.

Why did you put yourself through all that? Because you wanted to contribute to the community of aspiring filmmakers. The thing that pushed you every step of the way was the goal of putting true professional-level video capture in the hands of the next Scorcese. Making it easier for anyone with good ideas and taste to compete in the big leagues and change the face of cinema.

So after all that hard work, what did it get you? Spec shakycam HDR rap videos that look no better than if they'd been shot with a smartphone. Hours and hours of Vimeo backyard foliage. Slo-mo clips of girlfriends and/or children being followed around city streets, tourist attractions, and shabby backyards. Not to mention an infinite number of "tests" posted in these threads, years after the last patch was released, as if one more 30 second YouTube of people walking down the street adds any possible kind of useful data point to whatever ongoing development loop you guys somehow still think exists. Like Nick's following these threads every day, murmuring to himself, "What the devil?! I'm suddenly seeing matricing flaws in Moon T7 because of Wifebeater69LOL's downconverted SD Vimeo of his cat! Well done, Wifebeater69LOL! I must attack the problems immediately!"

And how do you suppose Driftwood feels about continuing (and by that I mean continuing to go on living at all) if you swung by these parts and saw:

"WAREZ MY GH4 HACKZ? I HAZ NO GH4 LOLZ BUT I AM NEED HACKZ CUZ BETTER HA!"

"Another DEADLINE MISSED, Driftwood? Tsk tsk. You ruined my Father's Day, I want you to know."

"Iz the hacked GH2 still usable? Cuz it am coming out 2 years ago and countless amazing looking films were shot over the past 50 years with cameras nowhere near as capable, but screw that, 2 years is ANCIENT HISTORY AND I HAZ THE ATTENTION SPAN OF A GENE-DAMAGED FRUIT FLY so shud I huck my now-useless GH2 in the river or am it make a good counterweight for my $900 Gini rig I boughted to stabilize my backyard test footage?"

Let's be frank. As far as the firmware hacks go, they stopped being "better" quite awhile ago. Once the patches got all-Intra and >70Mb/sec, significant visual improvement hit a plateau, despite the OMGITZSOMUCHBETTER auto-chorus that erupts 5 seconds after every new version drops. In a perfect world, Nick would release T8 and it would be the original GH2 firmware, and it wouldn't matter because all the yahoos would go nuts all over again and declare it the RED/Black Magic/etc. killa, long live the king, hellz yeah and so forth.

I admit, it was hugely entertaining that time Nick put out two versions of the patch, one with the standard 23.976 frame rate and the other with 24 fps, because then we got to guffaw at the amateurs crowing about how filmic "true 24p" looks, and the few pros left here face-palming, again. But really, it's time to wind this party down, my fellow as-yet-undiscovered filmmakers. If you really think there's room in that aging silicon for one more blow against the empire, I've got a $900 Gini rig to sell you.

Myself, I'm perfectly happy with both T7 and IV2, and I use both depending on the job - IV2 if I need baked footage with a film look for a quick turnaround, and T7 if I have the time to run it through Filmconvert and grade it exactly how I want it. But I was perfectly happy with SMBUP way back when flappers danced the Charleston atop biplane wings over the Atlantic.

The GH2 may no longer be in production but it's far from dead. It shoots circles around anything Canon's got out now, and makes tons more sense for the indie shooter than any of the BM cameras. If you can't afford a RED, you want a hacked GH2, full stop. I've been shooting the hell out of this camera and I'm in no more of a rush to replace it with the GH4 than I was to replace it with the GH3. Above a certain baseline of technical performance, the outcome depends on the shooter, not the camera, and even the stock GH2 lives comfortably above that baseline. If your profession requires 4K acquisition then good for you, but I'd wager that exactly zero of the folks here fall into that category, and that even the stock GH2 is ludicrous overkill for what anyone here's doing with a video camera.

So Nick, don't sweat this thread, or Moon T8 deadlines either, even if they were self-imposed. If I were you, I'd keep my eye on the ball of scoring some kind of real paying gig with Panasonic PR and forget about the hack scene.

And the rest of you? Wake up. The dream is over. The last hackable Lumix that was actually worth hacking rolled off the line years ago. Thanks for everything, Nick, and Vitaliy, and Chris Brandin, LPowell, all you guys who put your heads together and make these cameras better. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on.

• Well said @Shaveblog, well said. I'm not sure how @Driftwood keeps from unleashing the dragon on what seems to be a hell of a lot of people who simply haven't bothered to read any previous threads, but god bless him. Sadly, I also believe we've hit the ceiling in terms of hack development, and I'll miss the days of likeminded exchange of information and inspiring footage in this forum. I'll still subscribe to a few threads, including this one, but the days of excitedly checking back several times a day are over. Vitaliy did a great thing, and some of us still appreciate the amazing things that him, and guys like Driftwood have done over the years. Many thanks. T8 can wait.

• Congratulations @Shaveblog! Good words. And you said a thing that I believe you may help me: In your opinion (sorry my bad english) what is the patch that gives a more filmic look? IV2? Because I make films for Festivals and I need that look. And I love my GH2. Now I'm using Sedna AQ20b that is not in vogue. I thank your suggestions. Regards.

• Don't care so much about "in vogue". As he said, every intra-only with more than 70 will give you technically nice pictures to start with. The rest of being filmic is much more about lighting, choice of lenses (and sometimes filters) and good, subtle grading.

Plus the whole rest that makes a good film, like story, actors et cetera…

• @Shaveblog, couldn't have said it better myself. People should be more worried about shooting some stories on here. Where are they?

• Good points guys, but I'm definitely looking forward to T8, based on the test footage Nick put up. It promises to be a unique look.

@paulo Definitely try IV 2, Moon T7, and even IV 1 for narrative filmmaking. Each has a different look. I think IV2 looks best with vintage lenses (I use Lomos) (my tests with IV2 and Panny 12-35 lens weren't so great). If you're using Panny glass I would try Moon T7.  Sedna is good look too.

I shot a feature with IV2 and was pleased. Trailer is being cut, so will post here when done to give idea of why I like IV2. I have another film idea in mind, and maybe T8 will be the hack setting I use.

• GH2 moon7 hack fuginon EBC 50mm at 1.8

• @matt_gh2 Where is the test footage located? I'd like to take a ponder at it. :)

• @jazzwalker Here's the test footage from Moon T8. There's something real special here. This would be a killer look for a feature film.

• I had the same problems with this "demo" when Nick linked to it 4 months ago that I do now. It's not a demo of anything except how nice and dreamy slowed-down footage of waves looks. And why is the highest quality version we're meant to evaluate T8 with only 720p and measly 2.65Mb/s? Where's the original MTS on Dropbox I can download and judge on its own merits, free of down-conversion, transcoding, retiming, and I'm assuming a soupçon of color grading as well.

It's a fine looking bit of eye candy and a credit to Nick's eye as a shooter, but it's no more useful as a test/demo than siestajohn's epic homage to Tex and Edna Boil.

• Promo video I produced for a DJ company with Moon T7

The password to view it is “dj"

• @Shaveblog it might be only 720P but I like it better than a lick of footage I've seen from the GH4.

Yep, went there.

• Hi There,

This one was filmed with Drewnet9.

• Hi matt_gh2 , I'll try your advices and I use vintage lenses too as Lomo, Nikon, Canon, etc. thank you very much and good works. PS., moonT8 looks great.

• Hi all. Personally one reason to look forward to T8 is for the HBR 25p (since I work in the EU), which I never could have with moon T7 no matter what I tried... I now use T9, but even there 24p looks much better than 25p. So I really hope with T8 I'll be able to shoot my 25p videos and not be worried about technical failures or loss of quality... (thanks @driftwood for all the GREAT work!!!)

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters