Personal View site logo
2014 m43 cameras, including GH5 aka 4K Wizard
  • 237 Replies sorted by
  • Here's my guess of what we'll actually get in GH5 (the fourth camera in series) if release is in late 2013 or early 2014 and the price point is same as GH3:

• all the improvements from G6 and GX7
    • 1080p much like in GH3, perhaps in some variety of high bit depth AVC-Intra
    • maybe 1080p 120fps in highly compressed format
    • most likely no 4k - if it gets included, it'll be no faster than 24/25p and highly compressed
    • wild guess: no PAL/NTSC restriction

I don't think there will be raw video or ProRes. At best, they will be reserved for some variant of cinema-type micro four thirds camera that'll cost at least $5000.

• @rlima; what is mar sensor?

• GH5 wishlist:-

• 4k at 50/60p with various bitrate options
    • 2k at 120p with various bitrate options
    • ETC mode works at 50/60p and is zoomable whilst recording (dream on)
    • 13 stops of DR
    • Hotshoe that wont break ;)

I would pay $2500 for that in a GH3 style of body.

• my GH5 wish list:

• huge viewfinder
    • up to 200 mbps in mov
    • raw recording
    • cleaner noise at high iso
    • mar sensor
    • ibis

Or those companies don't know how to make money.... ;P

• E-M1 expected retail price is $1500. GH5 is likely cost more. 1600? 1700? 1800?

• Seems that it hasn´t been really accurate. It looks like a decent guess rather than exact timings.

• We're almost 3/4 of the way through 2013. How accurate has this roadmap been so far?

• @stonebat

Yeah, that would be nice to see, I really like the look of the stills the Fuji´s are producing. There´s no cam out there that produces as pleasing grain on 1:1 pixel level.. But the video is not good, so far. Maybe further on we´ll see advanced video properties as well as stills capabilities that leaves no more to desire; wether it´s from Panny, Fuji or both.

@QuickHitRecord

Well, I´d be prepared to go with any cam in the line if I could have some decent video properties with it. Perfect "bag-cam". I´d expect the x-e2 to be the most likely candidate in terms of size and development though.

• Axis for the G5 :)

• @RRRR Are you talking about a specific upcoming model or just in general?

• @GravitateMediaGroup I don't have G6 yet.

@RRRR True. Maybe 2015... the Pana-Fuji organic sensor would be exciting.

• I assume they will stay dedicated to MFT. For me more dynamic range and pro res and maybe the ability to shoot raw via a external extra device or via hdmi out as well as even better stills and i will def be rocking a GH5 x Blackmagic Pocket kit. (or hacked GH3 if they never ship and the hack is epic like GH2s)

• More excited by upcoming fuji cams than gh5 to be honest!

• @stonebat do you have one and does the image resemble the gh2 at all?

• Why not. But my heart is on G6... for now :)

• @stonebat: Video RAW and 4K?

• Never mind. Just get G6.

• GH5... are we there yet?

• Include all new features from G6
    • Better EVF
    • Higher All-I and 60p bitrates
    • Relocate built-in mic
    • Redesign strap lugs
    • Polish the dust-proof body (e.g. memory card cover)
    • fatter AA

I'll be happy with the minor updates.

• I dont mind for the high 4 resolution actually. I would rather see the Panasonic GH5 with HDR and global shutter. Then the camera will surely be a serious tool to work with.

• From 43rumors

2013_MFT_roadmap_zps5b98fdea.gif
    700 x 221 - 10K
  • 4K is now the "buzz". Every major camera manufacturer will now scramble to deliver "4K" branded video products. Most of them won't really resolve 4K (just like how few cameras now actually resolve 1080 HD) but that sort of detail never stopped anyone.

GH5 with "4K" onboard capability before the 3rd quarter of 2014 is my guess.

I like how if you accidentally hit the shift key 4K becomes $K.

• UK hire outfit Procam TV conducted a poll of interested parties in the TV industry and came up with the following interesting responses:

Over a third (36%) of those questioned said they expected to begin filming some content in 4k within the next 12 months, and a further 13% within 24 months. Only 9% said they don’t foresee a time when they will film in 4k.

More than one in three (36%) say they expect more than 40% of their content to be filmed in 4k by 2015.

The types of content respondents said they would initially focus their 4k efforts on were drama (56%), documentaries (54%), music (35%) and Entertainment (25%).

• Sure is fun @GH2UW yep their 4k Pro cameras better come out by this summer if not they will be way behind in the 4K race.. Sony is kicking butt by coming out with all those body's with 4k options, Red always been the leader. Let's not forget Blackmagic may surprise many people by coming out with a Super35 - 4K camera sometime next year that's my prediction.

• @TrackZillas

"Panasonic would not sabotage GH3 sells and sabotage their Pro Camera line by including 4k on the GH5.."

Yep...you are correct. That's why new 4k Pro cameras will also be released soon. Haha...isn't it fun (and a little bit silly) to try to predict the future...:-)

• Panasonic would not sabotage GH3 sells and sabotage their Pro Camera line by including 4k on the GH5..

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions