Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2014 m43 cameras, including GH5 aka 4K Wizard
  • 237 Replies sorted by
  • The eyecups can slip off. I just ordered 2 from Panasonic. You may contact our National Parts Center at 1-800-332-5368, The cups were $8 and the shipping was $6.

• @jonpais Really? You must have a rock would one because I could easily remove my eye cup after a couple of months. It must of got caught in the camera bag some how and come off. It was at a wedding, so I didn't realise at the time because I was busy. But yeah, I'll just buy I new one I guess. No big deal but this has never happened to me with the other panny cameras. Even with the same camera bag. I shoot realestate photography also. Unforntunely I have to use my G6 instead of the gh3 because of the hotshot coming loose and can't connect to my flash... So yeah. Just asking for a better build in the next version.

• @jspatz ok thanks! Is that a US number?

• Considering the just announced Panasonic 4K UltraHD TV WT600, before long should be Panasonic announcement of a video-camera with 4K@50/60Hz and HDMI 2.0-out support.

• Vitaliy it's sure next GH will have 4k? It will be great, really! Can you be sure about that? Do you know something else you can tell us?

Anyway, 4k is great but it's not enough. I prefer the do 4k only if they are able to do it with 60fps at least. Ultra HD resolution in 24p, 30p, and 60p for slow motion. Than there's the IBIS question: the MUST implement the camera with a stabilizazion inside, at same level of Olympus.

And then: the price. If it will be all like this, i could bough even for 1300-1400 euro!

• Truesense announces Micro4/3 sized 4k CMOS sensor.

http://www.truesenseimaging.com/news-and-events/61-new-cmos-and-ccd-image-sensors-from-truesense-imaging-target-high-performance-imaging-applications

The CCD version offers 2k with 13 stops and no rolling shutter.

• For GH5 I just hope having 4.2.2 10 bit. That's all

• Yes, i realized it's very important. Must be the FIRST improve.

• http://www.43rumors.com/ft4-panasonic-4k-mft-camera-coming-in-2014/

It's a 'GH4K, won't be out 'till next year. But I know some people who know some people that rob some people!(Cit.)

I know they are out there lurking on us speak loud!

This is the official Panasonic Lumix GH4 whist list.

• After so many news in the past months GH3 seems so obsolete. 4:2:0 8 bit seems prehistoira.

• ML added Raw to several camera
    • BMPCC has raw and prores for 1000$

A camera development starts a lot before of market launch. Who knows if Panasonic will be able to compete again in this segment.

In the meantime I don't even think there will be a hack for GH3: nobody will be interested once a GH5 will be out.

• @LongJohnSilver

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I just see little problem. As GH3 is not intended for tiny market of so called "cinema cameras". And it is really tiny market even considering only video cameras and video oriented DSLRs.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

This is true, but only up to a certain point. Videomaking is a passion, look how eos' boys make Raw a reality on many Canon models (in a way or the other).

Also, the same Panasonic has enjoyed so much fame and profits only because of the gh2, which was (and still is, in part) a very used by video makers around the world for the production of quality short films. Thanks to his hack (and thanks to you, that's a paradox, reading your post. Or maybe isn't...).

The wait for the release of gh3 was high, there was so much hype. And they knew it. And when it came out, with its features (I do not say were disappointing, but at least very "traditional"), then OUR disappointment was great. Despite the Panasonic same call itself, by his great advertising marketing, the perfect hybrid for both photos and video production. Truth is Gh3 is already OLD.

And they knew and know EVERYTHING. Just like you.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Have you some figure to show? Not to be polemic, just to understand figures involved

Given that BMPCC is a cinema camera, how many of them are under production?

• GH3 it's a nice photo camera but GH2 and GH1 sucks at photo. How many GH2 were sold by Pana? I guess that most of them were bought as cinema camera...
    • How many people did subscribe here for the so called "cinema cameras" niche market?
    • How many ML were downloaded for video use?

In the latest Voldemort's delirium :-) he states:

For Panasonic it is at least some consolation that Magic Lantern and Blackmagic have a much smaller installed user bases than the GH2 and GH3, so they don’t need to worry about sales just yet. But the higher benchmark has been set.

Again where are these figures?

Bye

• I'm using the GH3 for a feature film, instead of Blackmagics or a 5DIII RAW setup, and budget is not the main thing dictating my choice...I think it's pretty far and away the best DSLR for video and people recognise that. Despite getting technically better image quality out of other cameras in now reasonable price brackets, the DSLR niche continues to be of interest to some of us for a host of reasons. Looking forward to a hack, and whatever Lumix comes up with next.

• Have you some figure to show? Not to be polemic, just to understand figures involved

Such figures are never published. So your requests are useless.

I am basing at talks with many people, including dealers, some manufacturers.

As you hardly realize how tiny all this cinema market is.

GH3 it's a nice photo camera but GH2 and GH1 sucks at photo

Looking at various photos I can definitely say that it is usually man behind camera that suck, not camera. And I know of no one who sold GH2, bough FF and instantly started make better photos.

• Looking at various photos I can definitely say that it is usually man behind camera that suck, not camera. And I know of no one who sold GH2, bough FF and instantly started make better photos.

With limitations comes art. What I find fascinating are filmmakers that can do wonders with practically nothing. They take a tool and explore and exploit it. In essence, they use their craft.

I'm getting tired of the RAW and FF arguments. I still believe that if you have a good eye, a good sense of storytelling, when you know what you want to bring, people will see past technical imperfection and just see the art and talent.

Photography and film are the same; you are either a craftsman or not, and you work around limitations.

• Yeah, so all let's take an old nokia. Just to start.

• GH3 doesn't need improvements, just good glass like Voigtlander, good external monitor and audio. More than enough to make beautiful things. I think even the 5D2 is enough for most working professionals and see plenty around on serious shoots. Even a G6 is 'enough' really. I would probably get a 4K GH if it came out, but it's not necessary for my clients. It would only be for more cropping options.

• From one extreme to another... Now everybody stating that you could grab your nokia 3210 and go Hollywood.

So all these years spent hacking these camera are useless? ML project is useless? All the money donated to VK for ptools are useless? This project is useless? Please...

Nobody forgot that the man behind the camera is the most important gear but what we are speaking about here?

It's like going into the Nutella forum saying that sugar causes diabetes

• Not useless, very innovative. But since back in the day when the 5D2 killed 35mm lens adapters, the image quality is only moving forward in relatively small increments to most eyes. Not enough to make anything from GH1 onwards really 'obsolete'...a word you used to describe the GH3(of all things).

• @scau

Of course I'm taking it to an extreme.

Regarding "obsolete" I mean from technology POV not from human perception POV. When I see video like this, long life to 4:2:0 8 bit :p

• From one extreme to another... Now everybody stating that you could grab your nokia 3210 and go Hollywood.

This discussion is not about going backwards in time. This is about having reached a point in time that entry level tools (and we're talking about cheap cameras here) have enough quality for many filmmakers to not only show their craft, but the technical limitations they impose can be overcome to the point that it doesn't have to be detriment to the final product.

It doesn't mean that hacking is useless. RAW is not useless. FF is not useless. But even without them and with craftsmanship the tools are already very good for what you get at those price points.

Personally, I think that if we remove technical hurdles, make things easy, it will open up the arts to people that may have never considered it. The quality and ease (and price) of these entry level cameras like Panasonic GH has led to more people entering the craft and experimenting. That is the legacy of this class of cameras; not the hacking or the ability to have RAW, etc.

• Could it be JimmyKorea once again?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions