Personal View site logo
Driftwood - Experimental Series 2: Low Rider, Cluster v8, V9, Intravenus II, GH3onaGH2, AN, Boom
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • i'm not gonna lie, dude singing scares me

• @Shon @driftwood the "rain" problem isn't related to any patch. It's a transcode thing. Some folks are getting it in CS6-PPro, I get it in CS6-AE, when rendering out a timeline that directly accesses the MTS files. The problem goes away if the same editor/renderer is used with transcode files. This problem also occurs with the same app, same clips, regardless of whether it's Windows or OSX.

The problem is there's so much noise on the subject from people just guessing, that don't know how to solve problems, the first being recognize what's already been removed from the list of possibilities. They're making it tougher to pinpoint the exact culprit by continuing to promote disproven ideas about whether it's this patch or that patch.

I'm pretty sure that there have been isolated reports of the artefact coming from FCPX users and a few folks with simple playback programs seeing the phenomenon. I've yet to see one report of the problem persisting if the MTS file is transcoded with 5DtoRGB (I can't be positive on clipwrap but I'm pretty sure it works too).

It would be a shame if these Chicken Littles succeeded in making any of the patch developers waste time on trying to solve a problem they're not responsible for, that already has an easy-enough fix until the the Adobe connection is solved.

Personally, I'm curious if all of the folks that are seeing "digital rain" in their footage have ATI graphics or NVIDIA graphics.

• Intravenus II (test) - prores 422 grade - fcp x - iso 500 - instudio light - 14-140 lens - @thepalalias

• Cluster v9 Boom.4444 Matrix.

GH2 + Yashica 28-105mm f2.8-3.5

Profiles used: Vibrant, Smooth & Cinema.

• @driftwood They get it from the fact that the operating system is wrong decoder, can the program itself is its own decoder, which incorrectly shows a picture. I ran into this once when importing video into DGAVCIndex, did these raindrops. I ask the local people is one such video, where there is a real problem. I want to artificially create a problem with it, and then try to solve it :)

• Sedna AQ1 B & Cluster v7 "Apocalypse Now" + Gamma recovery in post and GoPros.

• I don't get that. Probably not installed setting correctly, not got correct codec players installed (K-Lite Codec pack for Windows Media Player, Movist for Mac) or bad transcoding from whatever proggie they use. And they maybe attempt everything straight from SD card (always problematic) when they should copy over entire Private folder to hard disk first and then commence doing whatever they do.

Could be badly exposed, shutter problems.

0133mtstest.png
    2541 x 1389 - 1M
  • @driftwood You do it to me? I'm fine, just a lot of people complaining that all the videos from hacked gh2 can not be processed in the program for video editing, digital out for rain.

• Try a transcode with the latest Clipwrap - without re-encode. Import the mov file into either and test. Always copy over the entire Private folder first to your hard disk before doing above.

• Someone has a digital rain in this video, the program adobe cs6 or final cut? http://sendfile.su/751911

• Excellent demonstration and camerawork @crowbar. Well done. Cluster Nebula is proving itself time and again as the best setting for hi detail, action and flowing water. This is 100Mbps IPB.

• I did my 2nd shoot with Clutster v7 Apocalypse Now - 6 GOP Nebula “444 and this time had no crappy looking super moire looking playback in FCPX (mentioned on bottom of page 26) - no rhyme or reason for this! In either case the final export looked fine. Here follow my so far two samples of the Apocalypse Now hack. I'm not sure it is appropriate in this thread but I also have some nice samples of the much earlier Aquamotion v2 hack and also a short GH3 clip. Perhaps there is another thread in which I should post them? The bird pond shoot was fun - started about an hour before sunset and continued up till dark. I mixed the sound low because of the excessive wind noise (just used the onboard mics). Next I will get a Manfrotto pan head to improve my pans.

At this point, I am wondering if I should continue with the following firmware or try another and if so which one? My next serious project will be a live music production where sound is as important as video and I will be using both a hacked GH2 and the GH3 and finding out how they mix in post. Any suggestions are welcome.

Kanana Pond Wildlife Sanctuary Maui - Panasonic GH2 with Driftwood’s “Apocalypse Now” firmware hack Clutster v7 Apocalypse Now - 6 GOP Nebula “444

Iao Valley Maui - Panasonic GH2 test with Driftwood’s “Apocalypse Now” firmware hack

• @BurnetRhoads @Jim_Simon I've just reviewed a good amount of footage I've shot using Apocalypse Now Boom v1 setting. No diagonal rain was seen while editing in Prem Pro CS6 (Windows), after output via PremPro and viewed on YouTube, and even when looking at footage raw in Windows Media Player. So for me AN Boom is "immune" from diagonal rain. My problem with diagonal rain came up when I used stock GH2 firmware.

Given the complexity of the various results we're all getting, I guess we can conclude the Diagonal Rain topic here by saying:

1) Most GH2 footage (whether hacked or unhacked) works just fine in all major software editors, including Adobe CS6. 2) In some cases, some hacked/unhacked footage will display the diagonal rain...and it may happen in a variety of environments which are hard to pin down at this point as different users experience it in different settings...BUT...it can always be fixed by the various transcoding solutions mentioned earlier.

Bottom line: have fun with your GH2, shoot great stuff, and if you see diagonal rain just use one the transcoding solutions mentioned. If you hate transcoding, you could try a different hacked setting...or even possibly try a different editor.

• Hello!

To everyone using cs6, maybe try using the cs6 media encoder to export footage.. it works well for me..

windows 7pro, 64bit..

I've never had any problems with ANY of my gh2 hacked footage in cs6.. or cs5 for that matter,,

• As far as glitches go, I've had problems with the last patch I downloaded even with the 95Mb/s card. Video got blocky for a few frames even seconds every so often and I was never able to debug why it was doing it - blocky and green frames here and there. I ended up dumping the patch and just using another one and sometimes that's what you gotta do. I had tried patched before with no problems and my latest patch - I forgot what one it is exactly works fine. I have been patching my GH2 for the past year or so and edit in FCPx.

• Maybe it's a long GOP issue with how the information is muxed together? Some players can handle the discrepancy, others can't? As the hacks are constantly being tweaked, perhaps they may have been pushed too far in some way? Dos it also happen with footage shot with stock firmware?

• VLC plays back un-patched clips for me with no rain that CS6-AE renders with rain. Any clip that I've ever seen "rain" in, patched firmware or virgin, when rendered through CS6-AE will render clean through the same project file if I swap to using 5DtoRGB transcoded files instead of the MTS directly.

It's not in the footage itself. Or, to be more exact, it's not in the footage itself until certain software improperly displays the footage. Therefore the problem is not the footage itself.

• "I know about the fact that it will be played normally in a simple video player"

That's what I'm saying. The few clips I've seen DIDN'T play back normally in a simple video player. VLC showed the same 'rain' as Premiere Pro did. That's how I know it's in the footage itself.

That and not a one of my clips in six months of use with half a dozen patches have ever shown such an artifact in CS6.

Something weird is definitely happening, though, as not all players showed the artifacts. In my testing, only PP and VLC did, and each uses a different renderer.

• Give the raw file with digital rain. I know about the fact that it will be played normally in a simple video player, I need to figure out what it is better to decode. If you feel sorry for wasting your time, then at least tell me what the patch comes out with this problem.

• @Jim_Simon I'm here to tell'ya it's not in the footage. I've rendered projects both ways, on both Mac and PC, in the last 24hrs even, and the "rain" only shows up when CS6(-AE) reads the MTS directly. No rain when the footage is transcoded to DNxHD or ProRes via 5DtoRGB.

CS6-PPro may very well be immune. It stands to reason, but maybe naively so, that all parts of CS6 that read MTS would use the same routines. Adobe doesn't always do things that make sense though (see: 64bit program with filters that STILL only work in 8bit color).

I don't ever plan to render from PPro but it's not something that's in the raw footage, it's being introduced by a piece of software. It's also not a patch thing.

I will offer that the irregularity in some of the reporting on this might be related to whichever graphics subsystem is being used, maybe, if the software's render engine cares at all. Both my Windows and OSX machines are ATI.

• @GravitateMediaGroup apple iMovie , application yar. it has some good options used it for a fast rough workflow. its good if u need to do something fast and easy.

• "Adobe is great for editing with the MTS directly but it doesn't transcode properly when rendering out final quality, introducing some really annoying artifacts. This occurs with both Mac and Windows versions of CS6."

I've had no artifacts getting GH2 footage out of PP with any patch. The few clips I've seen exhibiting that rain glitch also showed it outside of PP, meaning it's in the actual footage.

• Wow, if you'd just posted the images I would never have assumed the "before" wasn't the warmer side.

• Shot this the other day at The Masquerade in Atlanta. Just a quick music video using a bunch of b-roll for the band "Wire Method". I mainly just wanted to point out how much I was able to stretch the footage in post. I was using "BOOM" and the stage lights were very blue. I wanted to keep the WB at 3200k to avoid too much noise from the RED Channel. Used After Effects "SA Color Finesse"

Here's the actual video if you want to check it out. Just something quick and dirty. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SMY9NgDYLKY

Before and After 2.png
    952 x 532 - 665K
    Before and After 1.png
    954 x 533 - 679K
    Before and After 4.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Before and After 5.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M