Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • @HillTop1

Glad to hear you had no issues. I do think its a great camera and will most definitely pick up another one in a couple of months. I always try to control my impulse to buy rev1 stuff but I always seem to wind up getting it anyway. This issue may simply affect certain cameras or may be the 12-35 lens in combination under certain situations. Neither I nor the guys who tested it at the store have a clue. Whatever the case, enjoy yours and can't wait to see some examples.

• @Jwalker, I tested out a GH3 yesterday at 24p/50mbps .mov with a nikon nikkor 28mm f2, rokinon 35mm f1.4 and carl zeiss planner 85mm AE f1.4. Did slow pans, I didn't see no 'hiccups' or any of the things you guys talk about. (can you explain some more) I have checked it with my tv via hdmi and on my imac. All I will say is; yup, I wasn't planning on buying the GH3 anytime soon but I put my order in already lol.

• Aked, I have the hiccup/stutter on 50p too, a little less but still pretty much unusable. Will post some footage asap. thanks.

• What setting in the GH3? The Canon 95 uses 720/50(60)p and of course this will be absolutely smooth whe you pan. You can not compare this to a 24p or 25p mode in the GH3, which will not be smooth. But this is a 24/25p problem. You also have to use a 50p mode. Then it will be smooth as well.

• I just tested my little canons S95 pan/tilt against the GH3 and the motion is a lot smoother on the point and shoot, this can't be right. Either my camera is broken or I'm overseeing something major in the settings. Tried to upload some footage here but I can't get it small enough, will try again tomorrow. Thanks

My results look very much like the video that was posted by TheWindcharger on dec 8.

• @Jwalker Did you try to take original footage off the camera and try to see if the hiccups are everytime at the same moment ?

• The Comparison from olivia shows me that actually all 4 cameras have pretty good footage with that rokinon lens in normal conditions. There are different things to like for each shot, in some cases just the image quality compared to the price of the camera used... Guess the differences are probably easier to tell when these cameras get pushed to their limits so I'm looking forward to that test from @Shian

Bragg Creek footage is really nice but unfortunately stutters a bit (waterflow and the pans)

• This one looks great :-)

• @Conundrum Wow, well, guess it actally was your camera. :) Also, you already got a refund on yours while mine is still in Japan :'(

• @Arquer053 No I give each test a new project in FCPX, and each project is set to the format and frame rate of the clip. I did transcode a number of tests toProres and still saw the "hiccup". What I find a little strange is that I see the Hiccup on certain pans but not others on Vimeo and Youtube clips which have been compressed therefore removing any strain on my native CPUs or GPUs.

@cbrandin As I said I tried both with and without OIS. The hiccup is still there. Quite a bit of jello, aliasing and moire too under contrasty conditions unfortunately. Like I said, it may be that I have a problem with the camera. What I find weird is that I see it on a number of the uploaded clips too. I've edited uncompressed HD on this system many times and never seen this, so I'm stumped. I took it back to the dealer and they refunded me completely after watching the test files. Their suggestion was to wait and see what Panny does in the next little while. They will submit a report. They didn't have a clue either.

I really do like this camera and hope that this gets sorted soon. I'll pick up a new one in a month or two and run some new tests. It might just be a bad batch.

• @themacdeg @conundrum. Did you guys find this issue w/ manual lens and 50Mbps as well? Thx

• @Conundrum After a lot of tests with my 2 gh3... with 25p 72 25p 50... I saw "hiccups", yes. But the problem is that those hiccups "are moving" on the file and so I think that the problem is more a problem of Codec and decoding. As an example... I just shoot an horizontal pan.... and sometimes the hiccups are at 7" and 12" sometimes at 10" and sometimes (like if it was on cache no hiccups at all). Same thing on my pc (i7 990X 16gb GTX680) and on my mac book (15" Retina 8gb).

May be this is totally crazy... but , as my wife saw the same thing on the screen, if i'm crazy, we are two :)

• @Conundrum Maybe you have OIS turned on? That will mess up pans.

• @Conundrum I see..., well, all the native videos I've downloaded from the GH3 play butter smoothly in my pc, even the PAL ones. The "strobing" could be caused by many reasons, like dropping 24p video into a 30p, 60p or 60i timeline, however, you mention it happens in camera. The only two things that come into my mind for that are either your camera is defective, or you use a very high shutter speed when testing the camera. Maybe a downloadable sample clip could make things clearer? =)

• @Arquer053

All I meant was that I am seeing the "hiccups" in all modes, not simply the high bit-rate modes. It is visible in many of the examples on Youtube and Vimeo as well. On my system AVCHD 24mbps (24p) plays back flawlessly in FCPX without need for transcoding to Prores. The hiccups are only apparent on horizontal or vertical pans.

Do you have any idea what could cause this?

• @fredfred27 Fair enough. It just looks kinda bad to me, and I tend to doubt from users that don't allow for "likes" and don't allow commentaries or filter them through revision and approval (I'm waiting for him to answer me about the ISO settings he used). I had a bad experience with one a couple of months ago with someone like that. And let's not forget this guy who has posted a lighter video a 100 times with different camera names to get views! Smart, I have to admit, but what a bastard. Of course he's disabled all comments.

On the other hand the user mentions to have used a 14-140mm, so that explains the bad look apart from the heavy compression.

• @Conundrum AVCHD requires more processor power than any of the MOV modes from the GH3, and that's because of the extra compression algorithms, the bitrate isn't directly related.

• @charlie_orozco Panasonic lists 50i in the specs for the GH3. You have no reason to doubt that the video is from a GH3.

• @andrevanberlo It's OK, I'm just telling 'cause I don't like what I see at all, and it seems like that guy was selling smoke with that video.

@fredfred27 Exactly. But doesn't the GH3 replace 50i with 1080p50? By the way, what first caught my eye was the bad quality of the video, it looks more like some camcorder stuff than something shot on the GH3 or the GH2. Then I saw the interlacing artifacts so I'm pretty sure it's a scam. What do you think?

• @charlie_orozco I honestly don't know, i got this video from someone who posted it on philip blooms forum.

• I honestly cannot say. But I'd sure like to find out.

• @Conundrum So you do suspect it is a camera error?