Personal View site logo
Kavadni's Studio
  • 43 Replies sorted by
  • Put the sky lights in anyhow. A no-brainer. Free light when you walk into a big building. Nobody said you can't shut them off.

[edit] Kids in shaft of light from gym skylight, shot last week with Samsung Galaxy SIII, lo-res.

GymSkylight.jpg
    300 x 400 - 40K
  • Why use sky lights? Not controllable. Unless you mean for the office space section. Sky light will create a huge light source that changes in temp, intensity, every which way. You'd also give up soundproofing.

• @ahbleza

imageimage

Good advice - for night time and when needed. But hey, from the look of the eucalyptus trees and the sunshine, I'd guess the free light from a few good sky-lights shouldn't be sneezed at. Even going on to installing some quiet, passive ceiling ventilation at the same time. If @kavadni lives in Aus, power prices are well through the roof already and a few more holes in the roof are better than that big hole in the pocket the noisy air-con will make. Plus he could get state subsidies to pay for that cheap, quiet tech.

• Regarding lighting... don't forget to specify more than usual power. If you're interested in a unique lighting option, look at the new Philips Hue lighting system, sold by Apple. This is basically a Zigbee controlled grid with color-temperature variable lighting LEDs. Imagine a wall of those babies, controlled from your iPad.

http://www.electronics-eetimes.com/en/philips-apple-offer-web-controlled-led-lighting.html?cmp_id=7&news_id=222914545

• @kavadni And what does your Long-Suffering have to say about all this building just before Xmas?

• Yeah sure, that freaked me out :)

• @kavadni

Please insert in the message only resized photos, resize to 800-850 width.

• The latest happy snaps showing the roof line. >

Looking towards the road from between the two windows

IMG_0022.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    IMG_0023.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
    IMG_0024.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
  • I remembered some advice I got while building a studio pertaining to sound: Make a room within a room. That's esp relevant to the rolling steel door you're installing perhaps.

• @brianluce - You speak the truth.

The concrete slab was covered for 8 days with a double layer of wet bed sheets covered in plastic. The old timer spoke of the fine weave cotton sheets giving a smoother finish. Hah! We shall see - It does feel very smooth to the touch. They had lots of laser levelling equipment - again we shall see.

Outlets, power and network will be decided afterwards. I'll probably use extension until I get a picture of how I will organise it. Sound proofing, yes .. probably one of the least extensively considered issues.

I will wrk out a lighting grid when it's built. It's got large steel supports.

The roller door is going to be of the heat insulated variety, hopefully this will in part address audio issues.

@kronstadt, I do have plans for an internal wall to separate garage from studio, rather clean from dirty, I cut up metal and wood and take things apart.

The building is only allowed to be on the boundary for a total length of 9m, any linger than that and it has to be 1.5m away, hence the strip.

@robmneilsen - the building is costing 88,000 AUD. 4 times the value of the house, 1/4 the value of the land. It's a just finished build. There is easily another 10K to spend before I turn on a light - air-conditioning, cabling, internal wall, partial loft for storage, shelving. Some of it requires tradesmen, some of I will do myself.

@sicovdplas and @SisterCities thanks for the audio suggestions, I shall read more.

@matt_gh2 - it's a boys toy room for sure.

I think the workable space will be 6m x 4.5m, so 4.5m x 4m in front of standing talent. If I keep it open plan, then 4.5m x 9m is possible for a longer lens.

It will house my computers and edit suite, allow me to permanently set up my multi cam rig, and permanently hang my backdrops.

I think I can make money just hiring the place lit for white/green/blue. I like the idea of expanding into SFX and building a render farm.

I will take a photo when the workers leave today it's really high, and they have a cut a roof line in one end.

• goodluck man! hard times, good times. Make sure to paint your walls 18% gray ;)

• I'd also like to know what the estimated budget is on this project!

• Wow, good luck with this project. I've always dreamed to have a studio on my property...but I think I need to buy a house first for that to happen!

• @kavadni This book might be helpful, if you can find a copy: http://www.amazon.com/Home-Recording-Studio-Build-Like/dp/143545717X/ . There is also a studio building/acoustics forum on gearslutz... while you may not be building a music studio, per se, some info and ideas could apply to your build.

• @kavadni This is very interesting indeed. I wonder how much (roughly) would a built like this cost? And what kind of work will it be used for? Also, why was not that strip of land on the right not included in the building?

The roller door is a good idea insofar as bringing large items (sofas, tables, decorations etc) in and out easily. But do you plan to have an additional internal separation wall?

• @kavadni Looks very interesting. What type of things are you planning to use the space for?

• Keep floor not just flat but smooth for good dollying. Every ounce of money and effot put toward soundproofing won't be regretted (watch that roller door as a weak link). Plenty of oulets. Light grid. Full light control, cove? Cold sets preferable to hot sets, see albert brooks in broadcast news.

• Very interesting. Keep us updated about progress.