Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • That tiny piece of silicon costs nothing once the lithographic process is correctly done, why do another one for GH4k?????

If costs too much, maybe a striped down version from it would be the route, but the low power consumption would make no reason to block some of its decoding encoding properties. Thats why i see this camera a game changer in 4k and obtaining this LSI.

• AVC-ULTRA Overview, rev 1.0

Expanding business opportunities with unified codec

Panasonic has developed a new LSI codec engine to perform a variety of encoding/decoding processes defined in the AVC-ULTRA codec. Figure 12 shows the appearance of the LSI and the photo of the LSI chip. The codec engine supports H.264/AVC profiles for professional applications, “CAVLC 4:4:4 Intra”, “High 4:2:2 Intra”, “High 10 Intra”, and “High 4:2:2”, up to Level 5.2 for 4K. This codec engine also has the ability to encode/decode the conventional DVCPRO codec family as well as the newly developed AVC-ULTRA. Incorporating the codec processor chip and high speed memory chips all within a single small package increases reliability and greatly reduces power consumption..

This new codec engine unifies AVC-Intra, AVC-LongG and AVC-Proxy and also supports from HD to 4K formats. An AVC-ULTRA product implementing this engine can support many formats and can be expanded by upgrading. Users can select optimum video formats and codec schemes depending on their target applications, workflow, and estimated budgets for production and it expands their business opportunity with minimum investments.

ultra.jpg
    558 x 252 - 29K
    2.jpg
    564 x 192 - 20K
  • If GH4k has that AVCULTRA LSI that tiny LSI wich costs nothing to produce when developed, using it on this camera would be a possibility. hacking it would be something very impressive to see, though the aproach that this new codecs offers, are very nice. Reminds me of patches from hack.

Seems to me they like that approach from the community. Something good had to happen from it.

• @Ralph_B excellent article. It doesn't mention anything about AVC-Ultra supporting overcranking (ie. 120fps/1080p) but we'll all know soon enough what the GH4 can handle.

• I'm hoping someone will preorder this camera, get one of the first ones and then send it to me so I can test it. For example, does the heat dissipation work? I will endeavour to fry an egg on the back, as well as perform other tests. Plus I can install a Bolex-like crank to see if that adds a filmic grain. Seriously, if you have one, send it on over so we can test it.

• God I hope I can buy this thing immediately.

• If the rumor is true, then it sounds like Panasonic has implemented their AVC-Ultra codec in the GH4K. This is good news. Read this for detailed info about the codec.

http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/sales_o/p2/AVC-ULTRA_obverview_rev1.0.pdf

• so Panasonic embraces the whole "settings patch" thing? Or is it they know most of their users can be found on this site?

• Im hoping to get a look at a prototype at Panasonic asap. A full review in the pipeline.

• I'm pretty certain that the P2 stuff is not accurate. There's too much coincidence that they're showing off UHS-1 type 3 cards that'll write super fast.

• @LongJohnSilver you got me for a brief second LOL

Panasonic playing dirty using influence to get some cute pets trying to win that Nest competiton...I am very disappoint!

• I'm happy about the ability to shoot 1080p. I'd like to work with 4K for my projects, but frankly, I can't afford it: I'd have to upgrade my editing computer to handle 4K video, plus add on a lot of expensive storage space. But it'd be nice to get a camera that I can use now, and continue to use when I do manage to upgrade.

And shooting 4K for a final product in 1080p offers a number of terrific options, especially improving the quality of post effects. I could crop better framing in post. Any effects I use can work from 4K masters, with much better end quality. Even simple noise reduction would be a lot better reducing from a 4K master.

I can't recall, but does this camera have the ability to link to a nice, fast hard drive during shooting?

• I hope we europeans could have 30P 4k too. It will be so much smoother in 60Hz 4k TV.

• LOL. Good take.

Btw, twitter is good place to look for pets :-)

• Are you serious or are you serious. Yo Panasonic Corp, can you please give my the GH4k to use for the PV Nest video contest?

This camera is looking like I will break the bank for it. Waiting for the full spec...

ksIkqvpYaZuHzccuBwkLvuhK.jpg
    520 x 250 - 29K
  • If it is what i think, it will replace lots of cameras.

If we dont have AVCHD, dont wait for a pro res 422 10 bit option codec. H264 handles 10 and 12 bit inside their specs, so MP4 wrap or quicktime would be ok. The thing i like the most its the newly developed high speed sensor. That shit would cook you off if not proper dissipated, and there i see a problem.

The one thing i dont like is H264 for 4K. Its a mature codec, but for what i think it will be Panasonic last implementation of 4k with this. Would be a dream having next gen codec from Panasonic. Like the pro level ones AVC-ULTRA future proof. May be a possibility since this camera has more Pro aim from panasonic than others.

From what ive been reading, this camera should have one of the more advanced LSI in cameras up to date. The data that can manage is huge. and can handle all in camera.

Now the trick here would be the "special SD cards" which would have a special firmware so you can only use their shit, which i don't mind since they are the only one caring around with 4k for the masses under 4k. No raw shit implementation that takes time and consume power.

Its not for nothing that CODECS where implemented, and by the time being, where data space its not a problem, i see more necessity for them than ever. The time for production, to offline to online take too much.

Grate camera i will buy two of them if the have what i need.

• Again... I guess a serious misunderstanding happened between him and the whistleblower

• @LongJohnSilver

This image is from Panasonic announcement of new UHS 3 card. Nothing to do with P2.

• Hummm He call it "P2 in SD shape"...

AFAIK the photo shows classic UHS and SD brands. I believe you cannot "copy" a shape putting inside another thing/standard.

Maybe the whistleblower used google translate :)

• To record this you will need to buy the new P2 Micro card in SD shape made by Panasonic (see image on top)

As far as I remember, on top of post he shows fast SDHC card announced by Panasonic.

• Last rumors round-up

• G4K has focus peaking
    • There is an attachable XLR adapter
    • H264 codec all intra that give 422 color all intra in 100 mbps. To record this you will need to buy the new P2 Micro card in SD shape made by Panasonic (see image on top)
    • it will be switch-able from 4K and 1080P with various frame rates (can shoot 120fps at 1080P for example)

via http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-g-4k-has-focus-peaking-no-avchd/

• 422, eh? So . . . 10 bit?