Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • Fs700 only shoots RAW with a (very expensive) external recorder. Still a cool camera though.

• If the specs are correct I'm guessing Panasonic is aiming their competition at models like the Sony FS700 which can overcrank/shoot 4K. What's amazing is the FS700 costs 4X the rumored $2000 GH4 price, but also has the ability to shoot RAW out-of-the-box (which most likely isn't available on the GH4 w/o the optional A/V interface). Does anyone think the add-on might rival price of the camera? :/

• Man, I can can't wait for the official announcement. Love me some of that Panasonic morning-breakfast-pancake goodness! Num, Num.Num.

• @Panasonic SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

GOD I hope this does not take six months to release. Like my wild fantasy is that they're also changing their rollout method so that it's available the same day as release or whatever. I seriously don't care what it costs.

• @oscillian OK

Anyway 2014 will be 201-4K

• @LongJohnSilver Maybe more orientated towards event shooters, actually. With built in NDs and optional XLR kit it's kinda tempting :-) I'm looking forward to a shoot out!

• @oscillian yes I saw it but it seem more consumer oriented

• So for the moment it's the first in its category. As DSRL shape only the 1DC at 12K$.

Of course we will see it on the shelf in 2015 as usual for Pana :)

• Bmcc4k at 4.000$?

BMCC 4K does not exist yet, except in few test samples.

• So who are the competitors?

Bmcc4k at 4.000$?

• @Sunscreen

Even if it only did 4K @ 96 FPS that would be fine. I would just conform it to a 24 FPS timeline instead of the 30 FPS timeline that I normally use. Both offer a slow motion scaling factor of 4. The 120 FPS would offer a little smoother motion but not significantly smoother.

I wonder if ISO 25,600 will be allowed in video. There is a guy in the amateur astronomy world doing some seriously cool stuff with an Image Intensifier and astro photography/videography. He is seeing objects that normally take minutes to see in fractions of a second with a GH3 at ISO 6400 and lower. If you could use ISO 12,800 or even ISO 25,600 that might be a really big difference.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jdbastro

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Panasonic likes to tease us, that is why they get leaked :-P

@Sunscreen well 4K at 96fps has already been confirmed, so slightly faster at a lower resolution seems like a reasonable hope! Fingers crossed.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Will do VK. Understood =)

• :)

gh4k.jpg
    992 x 591 - 60K
  • @Sunscreen

Calm down. We like speculations here also :-) They won't hurt much. Until they turn into wild wild fantasies.

• @2mpgxsvcd Please don't assume that the GH4 will do 120fps @ 1080. Save the speculations/rumors for http://www.43rumors.com/

I can't wait to hear the official from Panasonic will state.

• I always liked Panasonic GH announcements. usually 24-48 hours before someone always publishes stuff.

• @Riker kind of - you will, of course, need a microphone (Zooms already have ones incorporated). And that module is much more than just a audio unit, it will generate timecode signal too, as far as I understand.

And probably will be much more expensive than a Zoom. :)

• So that audio dock will replace the need for Zoom and gizmos alike?

• That is it! I am in. Pre-ordering this bad boy for sure with 4K @96 FPS. I will have my GH3 modified for astro photography and use the GH4 as my main camera.

If it can do 4K @ 96 FPS then I can only assume that it will be able to do 1080p @ 120 FPS. This camera is going to be a BEAST!

Sure people will complain. However, the people that know how to get the most out of it won't complain about dynamic range, or lack of RAW, or the fact that stills are not any better than the GH3. Those people will control the lighting and learn how to control the camera for the situation it is in.

You can already do that with the GH3 for 1080p. It will be a very welcome thing to be able to do that with 4K as well.

I don't know why anyone would shoot stills for action shots if the GH4 can shoot 4K @ 96 FPS. If you are careful with your settings you can produce some very nice stills from that kind of video even with high speed sports.

• A site leaked out an early hands on article by accident which confirms all these specs:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:rZ3Aie5JGI0J:www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment/reviews/compactsystemcameras/129786/1/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh4-first-look.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=nz

"The new Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 is the successor to the GH3, and comes sporting a brand new sensor. While its 16.05MP resolution is identical to that of its excellent predecessor, Panasonic informs us that the new sensor has new semi-conductor protection technology in other areas designed to reduce image noise and improve dynamic range. Also helping improve performance is a new quad-core image processing system in Panasonic's Venus Engine, which provides an increase in max ISO to 25,600 and burst shooting of up to 12fps, or 7.5fps with continuous focusing."

"Of course, the big news everyone will be talking about with the GH4 is video, specifically its ability to shoot 4K video at a resolution of 4096x2160 pixels and a maximum frame rate of 96fps. The level of quality the GH4 can achieve is phenomenal - the video it captures can have a bit rate of up to 200Mbps, far exceeding the 73Mbps bit rate captured by the GH3. It's good enough that it could be used by 4K television broadcasters. The GH4 can be augmented with an optional Interface Unit, which is designed for professional videographers. The unit provides two XLR microphone sockets, four SDI terminals, a Micro HDMI output, a colour bar signal and an audio reference signal."

"It also adds an external time control that allows for multiple cameras to synchronise time codes for simultaneous recording. In order to keep up with the demands of 4K recording, the GH4 uses the new UHS I class III SD card format, and indeed is the first camera to do so. Autofocus on the GH4 has received one of the more intriguing upgrades. A new system on the GH4 named DFD (Depth From Defocusing) uses a database of all existing Panasonic lenses to estimate how out of focus a lens is and compensate accordingly, fine tuning the focus with contrast detection. Panasonic claims this will all be able to happen within 0.07 seconds - edging out Fuji's 0.08sec AF acquirement on its X-series cameras. The GH4 also now has 49 AF points, compared to the GH3's 23. Pricing and availability information for the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 are yet to be announced."

"First Impressions The GH4 may not be a radical departure from the GH3 in many ways, but it's got a lot to like. The increased shooting rate is very welcome, as is the much-improved AF. I especially liked the build of the camera - the magnesium alloy body very similar to the GH3, but Panasonic has got the grip just right. It fits beautifully in the hand and feels just about perfect. The weather and dust resistance is a nice touch as well.

For videographers, the GH4 is currently peerless. The speed of 4K capture is hugely impressive, but the four thirds sensor means the camera remains relatively light and suitable for travel, as do its lenses. It's a fantastic all-in-one package for photography and video recording. I can definitely see it being useful for photojournalists and reportage photographers who might want to switch between still images and video at a moment's notice, and be comfortable with how well they can capture both. We were using a pre-production version of the GH4 for a hands-on, and didn't get a chance to properly assess how far the image quality has been improved by the new sensor technology, which is really going to be the deciding factor as to whether it's worth upgrading from the GH3. The images we saw did look impressive, however we'll have to wait until we get hold of a final version of the camera before we can say for sure. Some may be surprised that there's been no increase in resolution from the GH3, and 16MP does perhaps feel a little on the low side. In my opinion, however, the sensor improvements should more than compensate.

sales23.jpg
    832 x 546 - 63K
    sales24.jpg
    832 x 496 - 67K
  • 800 will be for audio dock

• i didnt saw the images at page 1

what is the price you asume it wil have?

• i assume it will cos like $800

LOL

About images, check first post in topic.