Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • Vectorscope...

Premiering a short doc tonight shot with the combination of the GH3 and the G6. It is going play at a banquet for a local civic group. About 300 will watch it, which is great. Will share it tomorrow.

This is the second film I shot with this set up, and the first in super flat. Man, I'm worn out with color (in post), especially skin tones. I cannot remember these problems with my GH1s, and my wife's Canons with Magic Lantern seem to work better in getting good skin tone.

Why? Because we can use a Vectorscope... Until we started shooting reality TV on the Canons, I didn't think anything of the vectorscope. Now, I'm using it more and more...

Any chance we will get waveform and Vectorscope with this new GH4 cam? And anyone got a suggestion for a monitor that works with the GH3 that has Vectorscope?

Moving forward, I'm not shooting natural with most everything (except NR) completely negative.

• Yes. GH13 was HACKED GH1.

• Vesku Do you remember GH13 meaning?

• What is GH33 ???

• I would be more exited about GH33 then GH4 announcement. Nothing personal here:)

• @mpgxsvcd, I am starting to think that way too. Kinda telling myself I should have waited on the GH3. But again, to get the GH4k with an SD card and the xlr adapter will be some quite $$$$

So @VK, with all these GH4k goodness and on the eve of it's release and dreams and hopes for the hacked GH3? lol

• Availability: Christmas.

• I think that the camera uses the external form factor from the GH3 (to allow the use of the GH3 rigs and acessories that a lot of people already have), but internally it might be very different - the heat dissipation needs are much higher, the EVF might be new, and some construction problems (like the weak hot shoe in the GH3) might be solved.

And I guess that they will wait to see the prices of the other 4K cameras that will be announced to release price / availability info.

• GH3 has 3D already.

• Was the only thing holding the GH4 back from being released the memory cards? Seems ironic that the memory cards required by the GH4 were announced only 1 week ago, doesn’t it?

It almost looks like Panasonic designed the GH3 to be a 4K camera “eventually”. Once the cards were up to the task they released the GH3.4000.

• @Hallvalla

Are you expecting 3D with the GH4?

• It won't take several months

• It will be coool to have one at summertime.

• @vesku sorry bro' but rumors told that it will be available after several months...

As usual for Panny...

• @kellar42

GOD I hope this does not take six months to release. Like my wild fantasy is that they're also changing their rollout method so that it's available the same day as release or whatever. I seriously don't care what it costs.

It seems to have mostly same parts as GH3. So it is easy to make. Just change some inner parts. Factories are running and competition is hard. Sony and others are coming...

If they are first in the market they can ask higher prices. 4K television prices are dropping very fast.

By the way Panasonic 4K TV can show 4096x2160.

• @MarcioK

A lock? Sounds like another useless part to broke. GH3 mode dial doesnt roll itself.

• "What might do that button in center of mode dial?"

It is a lock for the dial, you need to press it to turn the dial.

• So I can shoot like Peter Jackson? ;)

• Are you really believing 4k 96fps. I think it will be max 4k 30fps and for Europe 25fps. If more then it will be without audio like Panasonic usually has.

What might do that button in center of mode dial?

Kind of dissapointment if ergonomics hasnt been improved at all.

EVF looks the same as crappy one in GH3. Very hard to look at.

• Also, hopefully there is 48fps in camera.

• 96fps @ 4K is pretty great. Twixtor or AE can do some amazing results with 96fps if you need more slo-mo.

Hopefully there will be higher fps at 1080p or 720p. Also interested to see if they will have a burst mode for stills, like the 30fps on the GH2.

• 4k at 96fps and 422 colours?

96fps it's perfect, you've just to conform at 24fps and a great slow motion, no need 1080p 120fps.

So: the price, that's the point.

• You're correct, costly oversight. I keep thinking of the Odyssey 7Q which is much more cost effective and beneficial than Sony's add-on.