Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic GM1 official topic
  • 237 Replies sorted by
  • I'm having a hard time discerning if this camera is available w/ the NTSC shooting modes/rates. I can't seem to find one labeled as NTSC, however, i AM able to find them labeled as PAL.

I saw there is a PV member discount which is great but its only PAL version, so not good for me. I want the 60P and 24P, etc... anyone point me to the best place/deal on this or any sales currently going on for best price?

Want to purchase possibly this week.

• I want the 60P and 24P, etc... anyone point me to the best place/deal on this or any sales currently going on for best price?

ebay, any US body. and it is not doing 50p/60p as I remember, only 50i/60i.

• http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=58190

there appears to be a Native American version. So why doesn't B&H or Adorama carry the Black now. I'm thinking maybe I should just try to get the black US body, and buy the lens separate in black.

• I have the black one...looks good.

• I just purchased an NTSC ALL Black kit (w black kit lens) that I found out only Canada and Japan have available. $669 on sale in Canadian dollar, but i am in USA so w USD it was even CHEAPER! Sale is whole month of June w free shipping.

I have no affiliation but finding this NTSC version was a huge PITA so figured was worth sharing, PLUS discounted so also worth sharing.

my USD total was $662.38 shipped ($45.00 shipping to USA from canada insured)

http://www.adencamera.com/product-overviewer.asp?ProdID=4595&Category=5

• @deathtoprint thanks for the info, mulling this one over right now.

• The quality of the footage this tiny camera produces is spectacular. It's ridiculously sharp and I've done nothing to increase that. It just looks so much better than anything I've been able to get from my A7 or A7r no matter what lenses or codec I use.

http://soundimageplus.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/is-panasonic-gm1-better-camera-than.html

• I'm stealing my wife's GM1 for a wedding shoot next week, along with the 3 GH2's, a 7D and T2i my crew uses, should be fun to see how it fits in :)

• @Manu4Vendetta

ok...I'll bite. Is this Bs or what ?

• Am thinking of getting this great little beauty. Anyone know if there are any chances of the 1/50 max flash synch speed being addressed in future firmware updates?

• @nosh

As far as I understand it - it is physical limitation due to shutter mechanism used. They wanted to make it super small.

• @Vitaliy

and @Manu4Vendetta

...you didn't look at the comment on the vimeo above ?

• @vitaliy

Thanks. Seems like panasonic want this to be more an available light camera in the interests of keeping it small.

• Hi everybody, I use a gm1 for aerial photos with my quadrocopter. For installing at the next step data transmission to the ground station I need a live view signal from hdmi or usb. Does anybody now how to manage it? With normal hdmi (D) or usb cable it doesn't work. Thanks a lot. DAMALAMUTENSAM

• @DAMALAMUTENSAM I added a WLAN AP to my copter. But range is bad. GM1 does not output signal otherwise as far as I know.

• Random thoughts after using this camera on the road for two months: First of all, both as a video cam and a stills cam, this is a very compact item. I've mostly been shooting with the superb 14/2.5 Panasonic pancake, and the two together make a very compact combination. I routinely appreciate the absolutely silent shutter, for photos where even a hint of a click would be annoying. Raw stills are very good, especially if you take care developing them.

For video, I found the quality improved over the GH2 in a number of ways. The colors don't looks a weird, and the noise, while still there, is more filmic (to use a completely hackneyed, overused and meaningless cliche). The noise is less clumpy.

For focusing on a tiny screen, I found the leveler especially useful as well as the focus peaking. The focus peaking on a hyperfocal lens often shows the entire scene as peaking, this is somewhat adjustable, and still usefull once you use it for a while. Finding the front line of the peaking gives you a rough but useful indicator of hyperfocal focus point for deep stage effects.

Remote use with my Nexus tablet was also useful, for example I could focus with the cam 15 feet up on a stand and still see the results from a distance, ditto for balcony shots.

The battery is not as bad as people say, but it is still a weak spot. Aftermarket batteries are even worse. Why doesn't someone make a high tech polymer battery for these cams? I can buy one for my phone.

Focus is snappy.

The shutter speed of 50 comes in handy in Europe if you are dealing with flicker. BTW this site is very handy when traveling http://www.davidsatz.com/flickercalculator_en.html

I sometimes miss image stabilization for handheld photos in dim light.

And last, this is a tough cam. I beat the crap out of it. Also, someone knocked it out of my hand at a party and the cam went flying 5 meters across a tile floor. I thought is was for sure the end, but, amazingly, only a tiny flake of paint less than 1mm knicked off (do not try this to see if it works).

Minuses: for sure one problem is that it is hard to push the buttons and ovoid the screen when using.

The small size makes for a nice addition the the gear bag for the traveling videographer.

• @DrDave thanks for the review. Did you use anything to stabilise handheld video? I really like the look of the images and video from this camera except lot of the footage I've seen has vibration from the camera's low size/weight.

• It's true that the very low mass can be an issue as far as vibration, I have used some the 14-45 IS zoom, as well as a fly cam, but I would say for handheld, walking around or in a rig it is so small it is easy to bump a bit, but even with a GH2 sized cam you will have almost the same problem.

Forgot to mention that the aliasing is annoying, but no more so that than the rest of the Panasonic m43 lineup.

The sensor at the heart of the GM1 is similar to the one in the mighty GX7. It's therefore came as no surprise at all to find that its images are stunningly beautiful.

http://www.eyalg.com/dslrs/Panasonic_Lumix_GM1

gh4_60.jpg
    800 x 627 - 82K
    gh4_61.jpg
    800 x 590 - 123K
  • This made me raise an eyebrow as the fact up until now has been that the GM1 includes no possible way of live view output on HDMI or the AV/USB connector. By reading the info and watching the videos closely I managed to conclude that the Dronexpert mount use composite video from the GM1 rather than HDMI, because he would mention somewhere that the RX100 require the included HDMI-cable while the GM1 use a video cable. In one of the videos where the Phantom is flying with the GM1 it is pretty clear that a tiny cable goes into the AV port. It also seem to work perfectly during flight. Did anyone try using a Panasonic AV-cable fitted to the AV/USB on the GM1 to confirm whether this works or not? I've been trying to get hold of the cable but has forgotten to push Pana to supply me with one. :) This kind of raised some hope of using it for FPV again... I'm using the Ricoh GR which is also fabulous for the P2 but I always like to have the option of shooting with the GM1 aerial.

http://dronexpert.nl/product/dji-phantom-rx100-mount-5-inch-lcd-fpv-remote-shutter-integrated-hdmi-to-video-converter/

Example from my Ricoh GR / P2 in case anyone interested: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cablefreak/14824095474/in/photostream/lightbox/

• Hey everybody I'm looking for a camera to use at my job that may occasionally need green screen footage.

I have been using my own equipment (hacked panasonic gh2) and have awesome results, but I'm drafting a budget up for equipment that should already be on hand at the site, not my own personal stuff. All I need now is to add a camera.

I take a lot of product photography and sometimes film people working, the GH2 seemed good for that. But I used a high bit rate on my videos, will using a GM-1 have problematic results if the bit rate is lower? I know it takes awesome video that's close to the GH3, both cameras which have better dynamic range than my gh2, but will Ultra Key work just as well in Adobe premiere using GM-1 footage?

I'm aiming for the GM-1 since it's cheaper than the GH3 and good form factor. But would it be better if I used a different camera?

Thanks!

• Hi! I start loving this camera for its size. Pitty that the battery is off so soon, and actually I did not work out the grade yet. There can be done so much more in that area. GM1 with 14-42mm and mk II vari ND + 8mm cam pistol grip + selfmade loupe.

• Proper GM1

stab25.jpg
    800 x 575 - 71K
  • Do you guy have any expiriance or guess with mounting Sigma 18-35 (on tripod). Im thinking to get GM1 but can't test if plate would fit somehow. Also it is small but maybe mount is same strong enough to hold that heavy lens?