Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic GM1 official topic
  • 237 Replies sorted by
  • I ordered for my wife through the Deals and got it within days! That was some really fast shipping from Hong Kong. Its amazingly tiny. I don't have much else to say about it right now because its a holiday present.

• Tried it in the shop yesterday...incredibly tiny!!!!!!!!!! Really amazing little thing.

If they only change this gold Gm1 to use pink natural leather. :-) I could not resist.

The 16 megapixel Micro Four Thirds format Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1, its maker's smallest CSC ever, provides proof that good things really can occasionally come in small packages. DMC-GM1's quality is right up there with cameras that are both physically bigger and cost more. If you loved what you saw of the output of the GX7 but felt the body would be better even smaller, then the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 could be well worth giving a proverbial spin

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_gm1_review/

olym26.jpg
    800 x 653 - 164K
    olym27.jpg
    800 x 695 - 112K
  • Voldemort about GM1:

Could we be getting a preview of what a 4K video shooting GH4 with beefed up image processor will look like?

The GM1 is a mini GH3.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/11643/panasonic-gm1-review-another-pocket-cinema-camera

• Does this camera have a clipping display for overexposure? Can't find it in the manual. Manual, in case you have a hard time finding it https://concierge.panasonic.ca/pcs//viewing/ALL/DMC-GM1P/OI/vqt5d68/vqt5d68.pdf

If you’re a photographer who wants a camera that's the size of a point-and-shoot, but with the flexibility and larger sensor of an interchangeable lens camera, then the Panasonic GM1 might just be the camera for you.

gm1.jpg
    800 x 629 - 114K
    gm2.jpg
    800 x 568 - 102K
  • Is GM1 a world camera, PAL/NTSC? I've read that the 25P mode is really wrapped in 50i stream. Perhaps, in Europe or Asia the 25P is really 25P? Or it the same everywhere?

Thank you!

• As far as I know it is not PAL/NTSC camera, non of Panasonic cameras is such.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev curiously enough BHPhoto and Adorama and Unique Photo and other US websites list Panasonic GM1 as both NTSC/PAL

But, my other question is if 25P mode on PAL versions is the real 25p or just wrapped in 50i?

• Nice! well shot!

• That was nice.to me it looked like it was shot 60p? And slowed down ? So was this shot at 720p 60fps?

• Yes. It was shot in 720P for sure. Too bad, it´s not supporting 50P / 60P in 1080P mode.

But it looks VERY nice for such a small body (and for 720P) - At least to me. ^^ One thing is clear: The GM1 is definitely one of the best 2nd body options for m4/3 users. (Or for users, which are searching for the smalles possible high-quality camera system.)

• Can someone who has the camera in hand confirm that the stabilization works in video mode with the kit lens? On page 210, the manual (Thanks DrDave) indicates that "normal" stabilization works in video mode but on page 191 it seems to indicate that stabilization does not work in video mode as the video icon is not highlighted.

Overall neat features in a small camera. Peaking (that you can change the color) and histogram and full manual video control and wi fi. Too bad no 1080 60p but it makes sense that heat might be an issue in that mode.

• I think the confusion is that the kit lens has OIS which works in all modes, but the IBIS only works in stills mode with non-OIS lenses.

• I understand that this camera does not have IBIS just a stabilized kit lens...just want someone to say "yes" or "no" that the stabilization in the lens works in video mode. Looks like it probably does but just want to confirm from someone first-hand. Would also be nice if someone reported on the peaking.

• The GM1 with kit lens does stabilize also for video, and it works great. Nothing to post yet with the kit lens (just filmed my daughter fooling around) but I did a little short with the Nokton 25 and 24p mode. The camera is absolutely fantastic, I have 2 GH3's and a hacked GH2, it's like the perfect pocket rocket cinema camera for us enthusiasts. The low light performance at 24p is stellar, much better than the GH3 due to the new sensor and true pixel binning. I would assume that we're seeing the first glimpse of performance from the 4K "GH4" camera... video is really smooth, gradation and highlight clipping beautifully, good detail in shadows. I do find native 24p slightly better than 25p though, probably due to the 50i wrapper messing things up, it's like with the GH2 25p mode but slightly better, I think. In addition it's a remarkable time-lapse machine. It can handle RAW-timelapse images in full res from the GH3 or itself, and render 1080p MP4 videos straight off the card. Say you're out shooting time consuming night time lapses with the GH3 and keep the GM1 warm in your pocket (because the battery is really small ;) and switch cards between takes and put them in the GM1 as a preview machine. It's one of the few missing features in the GH3 but if you have the GM1 it's even better because it frees up the GH3 for the next take. :)

It seems to do pretty OK with night landscape astrophotography, like ISO3200 @ 20-30sec, just best to keep LNR ON because the sensor heats up pretty much in that small case, no surprises. But I thought it would be much worse in that area. I might even have one of those JOBY tiny iPhone/smartphone legs in my pocket along with the GM1, on a clear night when walking home from the train. :) It's funny, it even outperforms the E-M1 in the long exposure department, because of the issue the E-M1 is having compared to the noiseless E-M5, the GM1 is no worse, perhaps even a bit better. :)

My first footage:

• What a year !

Plastic iphones and metal galaxies.

Bodycap lenses and lenscap bodies :)

I just received mine, it is fantastic :)