Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Editing FCPX on an old/cheap Macbook
  • I will be shooting and editing a documentary in Central America in a place where a few things could happen to my equipment (kind of "risky" area).

So I thought, I buy a cheap old Macbbook take it with me also for viewing, put all the footage on a lower quality and do an offline editing (original footage will be shot on GH2 and be sent to a "safer place").

Anybody has experience down to which Macbook and OSX, FCPX still works, RAM etc?

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • Footage? 1080p? 720p? I'd say a MB equipped with an Intel i5 core and 8gb of RAM should be ok. External FW drive highly recommended.

• You can just make hackintosh note.

• I work with a Core Duo 2.53, and 8 GB ram, slowly but good, even with FCX (but better with FC7).

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev you mean like I could install fcpx on a small acer, for example one which has the amd 450 processor and use it for editing once converted into a hackintosh? What about the video card?

• @gameb

I agree with VK. Don't even think about using FCPX without a current model laptop. It is too dependent on GPU (which will be slow- or nonexistent on an old laptop).

So either new Apple, or hackintosh. Something like a ASUS G74SX. Goes for about $1700- but you get a i7 for that.

I wouldn't suggest going with AMD for 1st time hackintosh. It requires a custom kernel, and won't be supported as well.

Are you sure you need a laptop? You could build a state-of-the-art desktop for much cheeper, (with power inverter and your set!)

Cheers, A

• Proxy media is your friend. Or an ssd.

• Yes @willieturnip, it is. However if this is your 'only' FCPX machine proxy can become problematic if you need to decide what is out of focus- or small details.

fcp.co recently did an article on the makers of George to the Rescue, proxy was used for home editing on laptops- yet the studio was decked out with lots of cores- thunderbolt etc- (you get the picture).

YMMV