Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • Yes it is. Brawley is the official beta tester for the pocket cinema cam.

• the gh2/g6 look way more filmic than the pocket despite lower DR

• @mjfan ...define filmic.

• going to have a play in resolve with them ... dr looks good, nice flat image lots of latitude . cadence does seem a little less filmic (are we sure these are 24p? i haven't checked yet)

• @jakepowell they're 25p. There's blown highlights, but the roll off is not bad. Not great, but not bad.

• @itimjim thanks , i suspected as much ... yeah some highlights are blown , playing around recovering some and theyre responding quite well. (then again im used to gh2/3 ) love the colours and latitude, they do seem to have got that consistent .

• Here is my 2 min attempt at grading the footage...as mentioned there are blown highlights which cannot be bought back no matter how good the DR!

• Here's my 2 min grade test in Resolve. The black level was around 10% high on the scopes.

• Does not look very different from GH2 footage, especially in terms of the roll off. With some digicon filters to mediate contrast levels and DR, you might get similar results with the GH2

• @kazuo

If you can't tell the difference between this BMPCC footage and GH2 footage than you should look into a different career. Roll off is very different.

• Yep, those BMPCC clips look gorgeous, way better than the GH2. Absolutely love it!

• is it just me, or does the cadence, or motion from the BMPCC footage not as filmic as it's bigger brother BMCC. Not sure if it's because of the smaller sensor, but I like the DR. Let me know what you guy's think.

• Without knowing the exact shutter (can't see anything on JB's blog about these files) I think it's hard to fully examine. The files are 25p and the subject matter in the last two (road traffic shots) are moving just at the right pace to show up motion judder, which can give it the appearance of motion judder/funky cadence.

It does looks good in terms of colour information and DR, but again, nothing can be fully judged by a few clips shot from the hip. I'm impressed, hopefully we'll see more soon.

• @dream_beam that sucks about the huge new import taxes coming in September, may I ask what country you're in?

• I'm thinking the gh2 has a higher resolution. I had pocket and gh2 footage up on the same time line and could visible see the gh2 was sharper and has less chunky pixels.

The dynamic range was pretty cool though, you can really color correct the hell out of this footage.

• Dropbox has disabled the link to the video, due to very high download rate :) Has anybody got an alternative link?

• VERY VERY entertaining to see people TRY and give excuses or justify not buying it based on thinking you can manipulate/grade/or add filters to make your gh2 footage to look like pocket cam. Not sure what kind of fantasy world some of you are living in, but these 2 cameras should not be compared to each other.

• Not sure what kind of fantasy world some of you are living in, but these 2 cameras should not be compared to each other

They should. In fact any actual clips and films can and must be compared.

Right now we'll have bunch of people with BMPCCs who'll produce such crap that you could not watch it at all.

• Sorry, but does anyone have the file size of the download? ... on and on it goes.

• What a piece of crap, a guy over at the istockvideo forum said his GH2/3 out resolves it easily.

Another mirage job just like Red Scarlet....

• This ISNT mine just found it....some of that JB footage graded---- PEEP the sky... My Gh2 would never get a sky like that- 10bit 4:2:2 --- that's whats up. If you cant see the difference even with youtube compression you need to GET YOUR EYES CHECKED.-

• Not one good sample for this so called great Camera...

hmmm

BS-Ware

• Some of the first footage John showed (Vivid Pocket) was great.

• So I wonder if they are hand selecting who the first shipments go to? Wouldn’t it be ironic if the first shipments just went to some guy who placed and order right away because he wanted a good pocket video camera?