Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @double_vision The power zoom actually looks like a pretty good lens, and its only $200 on ebay. I just don't know if the pocket cam allows for controlling the power zoom. It looks like there are only controls for focus and aperture. Anybody know if blackmagic provides zoom control for the pocket cam?

• TV distortion is measured at the top of the image and relative to picture height. Center cropping the image will typically reduce distortion in the absolute, but not necessarily relative to the picture height. It depends on the specific distortion profile of the lens and how much you crop. Cropping increases the distortion of some lenses.

• @peternap I don't know what kind of mount you have for the Samyangs but if you plan on using them with the speed booster that should get you back close to the GH perspective. Either way they should look great. Just more portrait oriented.

• @peternap You shouldn't have a problem with any of those lenses. Same concept as GH2. It's just the 85mm is going to be one long ass lens on the BMPCC! One really fast, long lens! :) I plan to throw up a video with the Rokinon and SLR cine line of lenses when the BMPCC comes in just so people can see what they all look like on there. I'm sure we'll see a crap load of footage but I'll just to a lock off of some boring tree or pond and shoot all lenses with the same viewpoint. Maybe I'll throw someones cat across the frame to get people all excited!!

• Keep to the topic, any flame about indie stuff and ideas to discuss specific lenses that has proper topics will be deleted without any warning.

• @Trumpetman

Back to the camera, Any reason other than the crop factor I'll have problems with my Samyang 85mm and 24mm?

• @trumpetman

I've worked on everything from Jurassic Park to the lowliest of Indies (budget wise) and creativity will always find a way.

If 30+ years of American indies is "creativity finding a way", what does failure look like?

• @Trumpetman
    @double_vision

Check topic title from time to time. We have topics about things you are discussing.

• Rambo posted this in May of last year

Ralph_B, this is probably what you were expecting. The 20mm pancake with wide adapter is blurred center and edges at f1.7, it's not until f4.0 that the full frame becomes sharper edge to edge.

Conclusion, Panny designed this for only the 2 lenses stated and only at 14mm >H-PS14042 and H-H014

• Anyway I thought I tested in on my zoom along with my prime when I got it, but I'll give it another go when I get another one.

• I mean, I lot of people say the optic is bad. Maybe Im wrong here.

• I'm sure that I've read about others using it on the kit zoom, anybody out there that has?

• I think Panasonic wants to say only the PZ because the other one zooms out from the front instead of internally so they don't want the extra weight on the front or anything impinging on the zoom...actually it extends out too.

• I don't hear many good things about the 14-42 PZ lenses though.

• I thinks it works with the other as well, but I will test it. I have to order another one, my son has it on his gh2 in LA, but if only works with the PZ then I will get it too. More expensive, but a flatter profile.

• lightest run and gun package ever!

• @Trumpetman Bummer, I think the wide angle converter only works with the 14-42 PZ lens.

Yes test footage would be awesome!

• @Trumpetman ahh, now we're talking. So far I have 14mm for normal fov, 20mm for low light and 14-45mm for run and gun. I might gonna pick up the wide angle converter soon. hehehehe. These lenses are cheap and reliable. Or, I might gonna sell my 14-45mm and buy the 14-42mm and pair it together with the wide angle converted and boom! 11mm with OIS.

• I'll see if I can post some footage with the converter later this week, but there is a short film somewhere on here about an alcoholic who wrecks his car and kill himself, don't remember the title, but it uses the combo of the 14mm with converter and looks quite nice. I also signed up for the pocket cam as soon as it was available at B and H so I should be at the top of the list for getting one. I'll shoot test shots with all my lenses lumix and nikon both as soon as it is in my hands.

• @double_vision I have the converter and its terrific. Take a look at the test on the wide angle lens topic. The 14-42 kit lens actually test very well. The Olys are better but more expensive. Considering the price point on ebay for as cheap as $99 and the fact that other test show it to be sharper than the prime at 4.0 with OIS makes it a no brainer for me, especially because I can put the converter on it and get to 11mm with OIS or 11mm 2.5 with prime. Plus I have a Soligor anamorphic that actually works perfect with the 14mm and smaller than the Panasonic anamorphic. It does distort more in the corners, however, I am betting once more that the s16 will come through again and lose the distortion on that as well, making for one kick ass small anamorphic rig.

• Take a look at Brawley's first video shot with the 12-35mm and see if you notice a lot of barrel distortion. I don't.

• @philiplipetz isnt that the pocket has smaller sensor, thus will only cover the middle part of the lens. 7-14 is only well know for its distortion around the edges. Can you recommends me 10mm native s-16 lens that wont break the bank?

@Trumpetman i just scored 20mm for usd265! FTW! hahaha. Is there any wide angle lenses with OIS that you know? I dont think there's any wide angle lenses with OIS. I hope Panasonic will update their 7-14mm with OIS and filter option. Regarding the 14mm 2.5, I heard there's a pretty good wide angle converted made by Panasonic. This converter will basically make 14mm becomes 11mm 2.5. That's faster than tokina 11-16mm 2.8, and SMALLER SMALLER SMALLER. 8mm for mft from slr magic will make them rich!

• Yes, but again you are taking more from the center of the lens. I actually love the lumix lenses for this camera because of the very reasons I hate them for the GH series. The fact that the s16 sensors takes from the center more reduces the amount of detectable distortion and the razor sharpness of the lumix lenses that often do look to videoish on the GH seems to pair perfectly with the BMPC which has no in camera sharpening. Plus they are cheap in price as this camera is, making for a terrific combo that will add quality to indies that hasn't been seen since we were using actual film stock (almost).

• @Trumpetman The 12-35 lens has 5,9% barrel distortion at its shorter end, it is really very strong.

• Yes, but the 16mm sensor size means its taking more from the center of the lens so distortion might not be as big of a problem as some are anticipating. A bigger problem is for handheld because I don't think it has OIS, correct me if I'm wrong. Granted the wide angle won't be as critical, but I think it will still be a factor.