Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2014 m43 cameras, including GH5 aka 4K Wizard
  • 237 Replies sorted by
  • @Cfreak @oscillian when I came here VK already deleted that posts so I thought that everybody was thinking I'm Jimmy... A nightmare :)

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslight_(1944_film))

Peace :)

• @LongJohnSilver I was reffering to a deleted post by JimmyWhatsHisFace, not you :-)

• @LongJohnSilver There was a jimmy here today making chaos. With those posts deleted it's all out-of-context. Your tongue-in-cheek greeting to me above makes you sound like him, that's all. You're not him, it's all good now. Lets get back on topic...

• @oscillian @cfreak and now @vicharris but, who are you talking about?

On the previous page just after my post Oscillian wrote this

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/146485#Comment_146485

Then several posts deleted by VK referenced Jimmykorea... Maybe I'm misunderstanding and eventually excuse me. Just in case check my profile. I'm here from day one :)

• @CFreak Regrettably probably not. He keeps coming back under different names and he's still here under a name that doesn't have Jimmy in it. The day I got on the BM Forum he took it right too me. Think he's banned for the time being there too. I think we all just need to stop replying. Seems we've figured out his general tone and way he words his posts.

• @LongJohnSilver I was defending you from Jimmy when he turned his flames on me. You could show some thanks. VK has deleted it all and lets hope he's gone for good. We don't need that here, it's pathetic.

• @LongJohnSilver I don't get what your talking about. Are you sure it was me? Peace! :-)

• @John_Farragut I agree with you 100% I was just exaggerating because when I stated that, after latest news, the gh3 seems obsolete (from a pure technical point of view) I got several replies stating that the tool is not important. I know but the title of this thread is about gear not skill...

PS @oscillian @cfreak sweetie pie I'm not mother tongue and... I'm not JimmyKorea

• 4K is useful for master, you can just crop the image without losing quality.

• No fights here, guys.

• I just say when Raw will be avaible on the BMPCC, it will be the KillerCamera, for all the other ones.

If it's there somebody who want 4k res., because it's soooo coooooool (even tv are not there, even none needs), so that somebody will realize the best thing he can do is to buy the Galaxy note 3.

• This was posted today about a 4k Panasonic MFT camera for 2014: http://www.43rumors.com/ft4-panasonic-4k-mft-camera-coming-in-2014/

@chef also caught it and might know someone who has one? ("cit." whatever that means) http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/8507/panasonic-4k-mft-camera-coming-in-2014

• Could it be JimmyKorea once again?

• From one extreme to another... Now everybody stating that you could grab your nokia 3210 and go Hollywood.

This discussion is not about going backwards in time. This is about having reached a point in time that entry level tools (and we're talking about cheap cameras here) have enough quality for many filmmakers to not only show their craft, but the technical limitations they impose can be overcome to the point that it doesn't have to be detriment to the final product.

It doesn't mean that hacking is useless. RAW is not useless. FF is not useless. But even without them and with craftsmanship the tools are already very good for what you get at those price points.

Personally, I think that if we remove technical hurdles, make things easy, it will open up the arts to people that may have never considered it. The quality and ease (and price) of these entry level cameras like Panasonic GH has led to more people entering the craft and experimenting. That is the legacy of this class of cameras; not the hacking or the ability to have RAW, etc.

• @scau

Of course I'm taking it to an extreme.

Regarding "obsolete" I mean from technology POV not from human perception POV. When I see video like this, long life to 4:2:0 8 bit :p

• Not useless, very innovative. But since back in the day when the 5D2 killed 35mm lens adapters, the image quality is only moving forward in relatively small increments to most eyes. Not enough to make anything from GH1 onwards really 'obsolete'...a word you used to describe the GH3(of all things).

• From one extreme to another... Now everybody stating that you could grab your nokia 3210 and go Hollywood.

So all these years spent hacking these camera are useless? ML project is useless? All the money donated to VK for ptools are useless? This project is useless? Please...

Nobody forgot that the man behind the camera is the most important gear but what we are speaking about here?

It's like going into the Nutella forum saying that sugar causes diabetes

• GH3 doesn't need improvements, just good glass like Voigtlander, good external monitor and audio. More than enough to make beautiful things. I think even the 5D2 is enough for most working professionals and see plenty around on serious shoots. Even a G6 is 'enough' really. I would probably get a 4K GH if it came out, but it's not necessary for my clients. It would only be for more cropping options.

• Yeah, so all let's take an old nokia. Just to start.

• Looking at various photos I can definitely say that it is usually man behind camera that suck, not camera. And I know of no one who sold GH2, bough FF and instantly started make better photos.

With limitations comes art. What I find fascinating are filmmakers that can do wonders with practically nothing. They take a tool and explore and exploit it. In essence, they use their craft.

I'm getting tired of the RAW and FF arguments. I still believe that if you have a good eye, a good sense of storytelling, when you know what you want to bring, people will see past technical imperfection and just see the art and talent.

Photography and film are the same; you are either a craftsman or not, and you work around limitations.

• Have you some figure to show? Not to be polemic, just to understand figures involved

Such figures are never published. So your requests are useless.

I am basing at talks with many people, including dealers, some manufacturers.

As you hardly realize how tiny all this cinema market is.

GH3 it's a nice photo camera but GH2 and GH1 sucks at photo

Looking at various photos I can definitely say that it is usually man behind camera that suck, not camera. And I know of no one who sold GH2, bough FF and instantly started make better photos.

• I'm using the GH3 for a feature film, instead of Blackmagics or a 5DIII RAW setup, and budget is not the main thing dictating my choice...I think it's pretty far and away the best DSLR for video and people recognise that. Despite getting technically better image quality out of other cameras in now reasonable price brackets, the DSLR niche continues to be of interest to some of us for a host of reasons. Looking forward to a hack, and whatever Lumix comes up with next.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Have you some figure to show? Not to be polemic, just to understand figures involved

Given that BMPCC is a cinema camera, how many of them are under production?

• GH3 it's a nice photo camera but GH2 and GH1 sucks at photo. How many GH2 were sold by Pana? I guess that most of them were bought as cinema camera...
    • How many people did subscribe here for the so called "cinema cameras" niche market?
    • How many ML were downloaded for video use?

In the latest Voldemort's delirium :-) he states:

For Panasonic it is at least some consolation that Magic Lantern and Blackmagic have a much smaller installed user bases than the GH2 and GH3, so they don’t need to worry about sales just yet. But the higher benchmark has been set.

Again where are these figures?

Bye

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

This is true, but only up to a certain point. Videomaking is a passion, look how eos' boys make Raw a reality on many Canon models (in a way or the other).

Also, the same Panasonic has enjoyed so much fame and profits only because of the gh2, which was (and still is, in part) a very used by video makers around the world for the production of quality short films. Thanks to his hack (and thanks to you, that's a paradox, reading your post. Or maybe isn't...).

The wait for the release of gh3 was high, there was so much hype. And they knew it. And when it came out, with its features (I do not say were disappointing, but at least very "traditional"), then OUR disappointment was great. Despite the Panasonic same call itself, by his great advertising marketing, the perfect hybrid for both photos and video production. Truth is Gh3 is already OLD.

And they knew and know EVERYTHING. Just like you.

• @LongJohnSilver

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I just see little problem. As GH3 is not intended for tiny market of so called "cinema cameras". And it is really tiny market even considering only video cameras and video oriented DSLRs.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions