Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Uncompressed recorder for cheap?
  • BlackMagic today announced uncompressed recorder using simple and already cheap SSD drives.

Thing will be called HyperDeck Shuttle.

With $345 announced price.

BlackMagic recorder

Something tells me that selling old facioned cameras like AF100 for 200% profit will be tougher and tougher.

Bad thing is that BlackMagic is famous for paper announcments, like their H.264 recorder that had been postponed for almost a year.

Good thing is that making uncompressed recorder is not so complicated as proper H.264 encoder, contrary to common beliefs spreaded by camera manufacturers.

Modular cameras are real future.

See more details at :

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hyperdeckshuttle/

• 54 Replies sorted by
  • Yes, the first HyperDeck Shuttle is not able to be upgraded to DNxHD, from what I read elsewhere. BMD had to make changes to the drive internally to accommodate DNxHD writing ability, as well as changes to the firmware. I believe it is only the Shuttle that has this problem, as the HyperDeck Studio IS able to be firmware upgraded to write DNxHD.

• Although this first model's firmware is not upgradeable to Avid DNxHD

Are you sure about this?

• Now that the HyperDeck Shuttle 2 is out, it looks like B&H has reduced the price on the original to $250 while supplies last. Although this first model's firmware is not upgradeable to Avid DNxHD, it can still serve as a cheap HDMI-to-SDI converter.

• I don't believe for a second chroma subsampling is performed by a dedicated ROM chip. It's all software, run by the image processor. Though likely more complicated than simple variable swap, and may need rewriting a lot of the function to achieve it, whether out to the codec, or over HDMI.

4:2:2 is only 1 and 1/3rd times more information to process (though it may not necessarily have greater processor load, depending on where and how things are done, and may only need 1.33x more bus bandwidth than 4:2:0, not a problem over HDMI), than 4:2:0. But the image processor is certainly fast enough to handle that much more load, especially considering, 30p is 1.25x more in everything, than 23.976p.

• Looks nice! Might get it to use with my AF100. At that price I bet it doesn't remove pulldown tho.

• I know of 5D2RGB. There are quite severe gaps in the histogram (i.e. missing color information) on a 422 timeline, even with chroma interpolation. The 8bit signal doesn't phase me so much (with a 10bit codec).

Oh well. I suppose having DNxHD at the ready on set is worth the price of admission, even for 8bit 420.

• It's 4:2:0 8-bit, and it is extremely unlikely we will ever get 4:2:2 out of it.

Best I've seen is intelligent up scaling from 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 using 5DtoRGB which outputs ProRes 422 (it can do 4444 too). It adds a step to the workflow, but I personally think it is worth it.

• I dont own the camera (yet), can someone confirm that GH2/PAL with latest stock firmware outputs 422 chroma? And if not, will the upcoming patch address this at all?

I've had some experience with color correcting 422 sources vs 420 and it holds up so much better! Having DNxHD 185X with no transcoding at such a low entry price would be beyond awesome.

• Choice between compressed and uncompressed is what was holding me back, as I do want uncompressed for a couple things, but many times I do want to record compressed.. now if you could shoot compressed with a regular sata hard drive (2.5") that'd be nice. In fact I wonder if plugging in one would actually work, it's still over the SATA bus and, so reality it should given the same file system.. if it is able to power it.

In any case, an inexpensive (few grand) 4:4:4 HDMI recorder is coming, by cinemartin. Sony have got their 4:4:4 HDMI output firmware upgrade.. recorder is both compressed and uncompressed, so it's a good bit of future proofing there.

Also the cinemartin is "OPEN CODEC Arquitecture Allows to use third party codecs. Software will allow developers to make plugins, widgets and more.."

Which is great.

• In fact, it is just software update free for owners on original bundle :-)

But good news is that it now records in Avid DNxHD compressed format making thing much more useful.

• So does the HyperDeck Shuttle record a uncompressed quicktime, 10bit 4:2:2 file and does anyone know how it compares to the latest driftwood awesome patches =)
  • Never mind. This thing does uncompressed, which is far too high bitrate. Rather see ProRes.
  • Anyone using it with GH2 and new firmware for 1080PsF25? Is it any good?
  • @brianluce, there are 90deg cables on Ebay - I've got them, they're v. good:
    http://shop.ebay.co.uk/just_for_survive/m.html?_nkw=mini+hdmi+90*
  • @brianluce

If you need extreme reliability- why not use some Electrically Conductive Resin? (Simply smear it around the HDMI connector- and plug it in for the last time?) That baby ain't ever going to come out!

But I have recorded with HDMI out - and I didn't find the same issues with the HDMI port... Maybe try a very small run HDMI cable? (300mm?) Also try different brand of MINI HDMI connector...
  • @sphippbs:
    Even a cable with a nice tight 90 degree downward bend would help. I'd gaff tape it snug. I don't think such a thing exists though. It cools my jets with regards to hdmi recording. And I think using that port over the long term would just keep degrading the connection. Sigh. Consumer gear...
  • @sphipps a separate HDMI splitter?
  • @sphipps, I believe the XA10 is AVCHD 8bit 4:2:0. XF100 is 8bit 4:2:2 I think. 10bit is most likely only in bigger more expensive cameras. From what I've read the XF100's 8bit 4:2:2 is supposed to be really good.
  • also does anyone know if the canon xa10 hdmi output can put out 10 bit 422?
  • @brianluce you aint lyin about the hdmi port. i have a smallhd dp4 and just a lil bump to the hdmi cord and it interupts the picture. do that while recording out of that thing and you're screwed. anyone else have a solution for this?
  • I have ordered one of these .. the Hyperdeck Shuttle .. 5-7 days. I will let you know what I discover.
  • @brianluce

There is a GH2 cage that has a HDMI locking bolt- http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DSLR-camera-CAGE-Ultimate-without-extend-plate-/280716018143?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415bfa81df

Could be useful... Other than that- I didn't find any issues like this, maybe make sure that the HDMI recorder is bolted to your rails etc...
  • @alcomposer
    <<<<To answer your question- in-camera recording is needed - even with the HDMI. This allows a backup workflow- where you can record in-camera and to external recorder.<br />>>>>

I have a new found appreciation for this. Was playing around with external monitor tonight on my friend's jib. That mini HDMI port is NOT robust. Even small movements in the cable can cause the HDMI cable to slightly dislodge and break the signal and lose the picture.
  • @brianluce
    Don't worry- we are all impatient- probably most VK! Now... How about those vests @VK! We needs them for protection from Panny when we go deep into the HDMI hood!