Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Rode NTG-2 with Zoom H4n problems, choosing alternatives
  • 105 Replies sorted by
  • MXL pretty much sucks compared to h4n internal mics

It is quite strange statement, as this are completely different tools for different tasks.
    I also suggest to make normal test using proper equipment, like other good preamp, or external card with XLR.

Btw, ART preamp is not recommended, as people who tried it said that it is not worth it.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev what preamp you recommend then? I have seen many asking which preamp they should buy for H4n, but none of good answers.

• Im really glad I checked out this thread before I started buying because I was gonna buy same equipments. Now that I know, can anyone please recomend me a good mic and recorder combo. A mic that can get good sound from at least 2m from the subject. I have $700 in the budget for it. I will be traveling to Africa for a documentary so hopefully something reliable.

• I like my AT875R a lot and I thoroughly agree that due to its freq response, it is not as full sounding as other mics. I often need to give a little boost to it in post. As John_F noted, opportunities and compromises. For me the opportunities out-weighed the latter for the price and use - small, good sounding, sensitive so I can ramp down the levels on my recorder, etc.

This review - while dated - helped me a lot to learn how to listen to mics and learn what I wanted (listen thru headphones or don't bother - :) ): http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/right_mic_brockett.html

re. preamps: I would spend a lot of time at taperssection and here in the audio categories and and evaluate other people's actual improvements when using a preamp into an H4n. If you can make the H4n essentially into a bit-bucket, ok. But you'll have to assess whether the extra cost and lugging of another piece of gear (higher-end gear) to make your H4n work is worth it. A low-end preamp and the H4n is folly. MixPre-D is highly regarded - $$$. Then again, the H4n doesn't have a line-in and you are still going thru the mic preamps regardless.

After a lot of energy expended, I believe audio is something you do have to spend for and need to weigh the compromises very carefully.

• HillTop1: I have been very happy with my AT875R, DR-100mkii, Rycote Softie (worth the $!) and I would suggest a good lav mic within that budget. Shotgun into one channel and a lav into the other when appropriate. I have limited experience with lavs and I am currently choosing between the AT899 and the Rode Lav, the latter being pricier but more flexible. I'm sure other people here have good ideas.

Great to have a second recording off-camera and with the DR-100mkii, you can line-out (need an attenuator cable) and into the GH2 at the same time (the audio hack seems promising).

I have also been recording with the mic on the camera as far as 2m but, jeez, get closer whenever you can! Don't expect wonderful sound at that distance from any combination.

• @WalterH I also listended to those recordings from that article on Ken Stone before purchasing! With Rycote Softie 12cm is indeed good combo. I'm also eying your DR-100 mkII. :-) The AT875R has no weight at all, so very nice. It is very short, so can be a bit tricky with finding right shock mount.

• Cool. Yes, under the Softie and a shock mount the 875 basically disappears. I do like its size for mobility, whether on camera or packed away traveling between locations.

@Straffi, I also looked at the the Roland R26 which was described to me basically as the Edirol electronics (preamps, etc.) of the R44 stuffed into a smaller package. I bet its quality is very good, ie. low noise floor, etc. I did not go for it as it due to its size (a bit larger), cost (a good bit more), and the quality of the 100mkii was plenty good enough for me at this stage. I don't think you will get a lot more out of the R44 than the R26 unless you have a separate audio person working that machine - pro, dedicated gear at that stage.

re. the NTG-2, differences in that level of recorder won't matter beans if you have poor mic placement. My understanding is that the NTG-2 shines when placed within 18" (perhaps a bit more, but not 3' away) of the subject, just out of the camera view. Since I can rarely have someone boom for me... The R44 vs. R26 won't make the difference vs. mic placement as I understand, but I've not tested those units directly.

(p.s. don't mean to be a thread hog, but this is the one area I've spend a lot of time and energy as I'm learning this whole dslr gig. I have learned so much from others and there are great solutions out there other than mine. I just freaked a little when seeing another H4n/NTG-2 thread.)

Lastly, most of this conversation does not mean a great deal unless people say what they are hoping to record and in what conditions they expect to be doing it in. Me, I am doing a lot of docu, narrative, indy-journalism, both indoors and out. Realizing the necessity of a good lav at this stage.

• @WalterH, thanks for the advice. I was kinda considering the Beachtek DXA-SLR PRO for it kinda compact nature as I could just "fuse" camera audio adapter together for a more potable system. But you're right, great to have a second recording off camera.

The reason for the 2m record distance is based on the documentary and some of the people we will interview (traditional chief) as I was told, we are only allow a minimum 2m distance from him. They say we're outsiders and not of royal decent.

• @WalterH starting basis was my testimonial shoot, quite similar to interview / docu. sometimes I can take a person for a boom but sometimes it has to be done all alone. I guess quite the same as in your shooting conditions.

• I attended a workshop by this sound guy... I think he is very good, and offers some great advice.

Specifically, he recommends the Roland R05 with Sanken lav. He talks about the input pre-amp problem of the H4N at around 2:50, and also recommends the Roland R26 if you have the budget.

• I've been using the Roland R-26 with the NTG-2 and am very happy with the results - it's all in the placement of the mic.

Zoom H4n maybe the POPULAR choice but that doesn't make it the GOOD choice. I'm glad I did the extra research and bought the R-26.

• Looks like it's just better to sell H4n and buy R-26 instead... can you use it as usb microphone when connected to computer?

• I decided to sell H4n right now and go for a new field recorder. I will see how it works with NTG-2 and decide what will I do with the mic later. I got a recommendation for a Sennheiser ME66. What's your opinion?

Roland R-26 vs. Tascam DR-100 MKII - no decision yet.

• @peaceonearth If you go with ME66, then you also need a powering module K6. That combo is quite a step up in price compared to NTG-2. Good stuff, no doubt, but not low budget anymore.

• Here's why you should consider using a field mixer too, and not just an external recorder.

• For years I've carried a simple Radio Shack 9V line/mic level equaliser. Unbalanced and cheap, but it boosts the level and many times I've been able to notch-out hum (usually from an air-con) and get an interview others couldn't.

• To get a better level from NTG-2 without a preamp. Try changing the H4N settings to MONO MIX mode.

• Another thing to watch with the H4N is Stamina mode (there's a switch in the battery compartment.) This is meant to save battery life, and does so by compromising bit rate and reducing other functionality.

• @jleo I tried that out before. In deed it improves a little but doesn't save the recording

@ahbleza stamina mode restricts audio to 44.1 kHz, normally I go for 48kHz

I dropped the idea of the ME-66. I found are commendention of a Beyerdynamic MCE86 but heard also that it is too noisy. I think I will follow thecommendation of tascam recorder and MXL FR 300. What about using it directly at the camera?

• @WalterH, how does the AT875R perform for indoors?

• @peaceonearth for a one man team I have started using a mic stand (cost around £10-15) to hook ntg-2.

So the mic comes from the top facing downwards completely escaping the view from the camera with 14mm lens.

Worth a try I'd say...

I remember one problem with ntg-2 - it captures a wind hiss, shooting outdoors even with a dead cat. So rode tech acknowledged the issue and advised to use a sticky tape on the rear end of the microphone, covering the small hole.

• @WalterH

Thank you for such a detailed response

• I still love my NTG-3, Juicedlink combination...and I got them both used from a reputable seller to save a few bucks.

• @HillTop1 That's another reason I went with the AT875R - several testers (including in earlier link ) claimed that it was better at managing the echo that shotguns are prone to indoors. Taking them at their word as I've not done comparisons myself. I've often been really happy with indoor results; I've also often wished to have a much more suited cardioid for indoor work. Compromises again.

• Thanks a lot @WalterH, your infos have been really helpful. I can now sleep a little ok knowing that the sound will be taken care of lol. Yup, all my little research point at getting a good cardioid for indoor use but that's a battle I will start next time.