Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GF2 Stable Settings
  • 614 Replies sorted by
  • a single ssd drive outperforms many raid options and a single 7200rpm spinning drive can read/write over 100MB/s easily.

noting against raid (never tried raid-3, use raid-10 on several systems at work), but it's hardly a necessity for processing anything the gf2 produces

• Can someone explain me how to record at 720 in MJPEG? I can't find any selectable option in the menu.. (i only see AVCHD 1080 and 720 and then just MOTION JPEG and i guess it's the 1080 mode..)

• @subco could you please share same native MJPEG 720 footage from gf2? even 30 seconds will work fine.

• MJPEG 720/1080 is only 30 fps?

• o.O I uploaded a GF2 video on YouTube, MotionJPEG with Driftwood's Cluster v6 'DREWnet' at 1080, around 90mbps of bitrate.. straight out of the camera.. (144MB) And Youtube gave me the ORIGINAL quality?!? WTF?!? What does that mean??

• @AlbertZ I was pleasantly surprised with the footage as well. Shot with Panny 20mm (beautiful lens) with P Mode and a touch of CC with MB Looks.

• @nitton Wonderful, it seems GH2 footage! :) What lens have you used? ND filter too?

• GF2 + PVDOG setting shot on my holidays in Lille, France

Looking forward to try Cluster v6!

• Soon i'll test this modified lens from ( canon canonet ql17 giii ) on my gf2 with Driftwood's Cluster v6 'DREWnet' thanx all ,driftwood,drewnet........

P1000972.jpg
    1095 x 821 - 296K
  • Cluster v6 6 GOP Variation 'Nebular'

Untitled-1.png
    1267 x 654 - 262K
  • @subco to get 720p in camera playback just switch off B frames (looks like that what you've done). I use Cake and I have found it to work great in all modes and totally relliable.

• @subco Playback: Sometimes it does... sometimes it doesn't... it seems. It probably depends on avg bitrate at the time and/or is just too much for the in-camera decoder/player. There's no complications to the files when brought over though. Therefore, I suggest that you film test shots on the H mode to get the elements right/playback and then switch to SH mode to record top quality. 1080i should be fine but if not try the same.

PS image looks very good off the GF2 with Cluster v6 :-)

• *** NEW *** Cluster v6 6 GOP Variation 'Nebular'. For GH2 and GF2 users.

Again, primed for a target Qp of 16. After another week's research and beta testing by my test team (with special kudos to @evanflys, @luxis, @Zaven13, @konjow, @onionbrain and @conscius please find attached Cluster v6 'Nebular' - the 6 GOP variation of the previously released 'DREWnet' setting at 12/15 GOP.

The two settings share striking similarities in the matrix and the only real difference is Nebular's GOP, the 'GOP Related' weighting of bitrate to i, p and b frames, and bitrate to produce a rate control that increases overall bitrate by around 25%. HBR/1080i certainly looks even better. But let YOU be the judge.

Note for GF2 users: I have checked the 720p settings (mentioned in my previous comment above) that I recommended for the 12/15 variation which will bring it up to the same level of weight control for i, p and b frames of the GH2. Please try it out and let me know how you get on with it.

Cluster v6 6 GOP - 1080i60 streameye depicting a i top field and p bottom field quantisation.png
    1395 x 877 - 853K
    Cluster v6 6 GOP - 720p60 streameye depicting a p slice quantisation.png
    1401 x 691 - 421K
    Cluster_v6_6_GOP 'Nebular' - setf.zip
  • GF2 users: Ah just remembered. Lets try this first and take it upto GH2 level for the Encoder Settings.

Would any gf2 users like to try this;-

Load up Cluster setting in ptools and then enter these values in the boxes in encoder settings:-

Encoder Setting 1 720p = 3 (Should already be done for you in Cluster 6)

Encoder Setting 2 720p = 3

Encoder Setting 3 720p = 4

Encoder Setting 4 720p = 9

Here's a graphic attached of the section in ptools you must change - labelled 'External Encoder Settings'. Now save the setting to a slot, then save firmware to sdcard calling it 'GF2__V12.bin' file and do a firmware upgrade to the camera. Let me know how it gets on (freezes, any changes, etc...)

Thanks

Nick

GF2 to GH2 Encoder settings.png
    376 x 623 - 33K
  • Yes Driftwood 720p no playback in camera 1080i ok Motion JPEG IS GREAT(more than details) THANX

Cluster V6 720 50p.jpg
    1291 x 673 - 301K
  • Shoot something with more detail and the bitrate goes up.

Any GF2 testers want to try something for me? PM me.

• GF2 with Driftwood's Cluster v6 'DREWnet' - Lens is Canon 50mm (100mm) FD mount (w/adaptor) - f1.8. Color scene selected: "food". Shot at 1080/50i (Pal). Uploaded with SSL Youtube uploader, straight out of the camera (no color correction, nothing changed on fps and bitrate)

Mediainfo says: Overall bit rate : 24,6 Mbps Maximum Overall bit rate : 58,7 Mbps Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec Format profile : High@L4.0 Format settings, CABAC : No Format settings, ReFrames : 2 fotogrammi Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=23 Bit rate mode : Variabile Bit rate : 23,5 Mbps Maximum bit rate : 50,0 Mbps Width : 1 920 pixel Height : 1 080 pixel Display aspect ratio : 16:9 Frame rate : 25,000 fps Color space : YUV Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 Bit depth : 8 bits Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.453

Any suggestion? Is this the best I can get from GF2 with this lens? (I'm a newbie). Thanks for your precious help and THANKS to Driftwood!

• Hi @driftwood GF2 sensors output is 30p ( AVC 720p60 it duplicates frames to achieve the 60p ) Maybe it is worth to introduce additional parameters for GFx? What other restrictions have to GFx at your settings?

• Yep, no individual patch can fix that. My iPhone GF2 reminder notes tip "avoid wide distance shots".

• GF2 is quite good on close ups/ in tight, wide shots are where it shows it's short comings.

• @subco , great, Cluster v6 shines on GF2 :-)

• @subco. Good shots you've done. What lens did you use might I ask?

• Can't wait to use it :D Stupid question: I already updated body firmware to 1.1 (without patching it), can I re-update a new 1.1 patched or should I go back to 1.0? :\

• Thanx driftwood i'll test when i finish My canon 40mm f1.7 Lens Mount Adapter I take the lens out of Canon canonet ql17 giii Thanx All

• @driftwood very impressive in all forms. I'll try it on Panny lens shortly -- been using patch on Canon EF 50mm. Some great results so far. Thank you so much.