Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Indie Filmmaking Lenses
  • I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to lenses. I purchased the GH2 with the intent of filming a few screenplays I've written over the years, or at least short films in order to promote them. I have no use in the camera for still photography except in capturing stills to eventually promote the videos. I purchased the camera with the 14-140mm kit lens. I really didn't think I would use this kit lens much for filmmaking, since I really hate the zoom look in films. I prefer to move the camera itself, but at $1100 I couldn't beat the price of the 14-140mm pkg.

So between looking at a film called Musgo, which was filmed entirely on GH2 with Tokina (I can't afford) and Nikon 28mm and 50mm lenses, I decided I would purchase a couple. I like the look of the film. I found a Nikkor 50mm 1.4 AIS on Ebay for $158 and a Nikon 28mm f2.8 AIS for $135...I have only $300 to spend, so I thought this might be a good set. I haven't purchased them yet. I saw cheaper non-AIS lenses, but not sure if that matters.

On the other hand, I recently saw a video I liked that had a Vivitar 28-90mm f2.8 lens and a Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8 lens that I liked. I found them for $139 and $70 on Ebay....and another fixed lens Vivitar 28mm AIS f2.8 for $80.

Much of where I will be shooting is right here in the city, lots of shaded streets, under bridges, subway, in vehicles, as well as indoor and bright outdoor settings, etc..so I want lenses that can cover a wide variety of light situations. I love the look of rich contrast and I didn't think the Canon 50mm samples showed much of that. I don't want to be spending money on a focal length that I already have covered with the 14-140 unless it gives me a lot more options as far as light goes.

I would love some input from people who have more experience with any of these lenses. I'm trying to make the most out of my limited $$$. Thanks a lot!

-Mike

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • May be use this topic http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2161/low-light-lenses-for-gh2#Item_32 ?

As I really do not like "help me choose lenses" topics, so try keep them into minimum.

• You can probably get that Konica Hexanon for ~$30, they're really nice lenses. The 40/1.8, 50/1.4 and 50/1.7 are all fantastic, but keep in mind that with crop factor they become 80mm and 100mm, which is fine if that's what you want. Otherwise, maybe look toward a 28mm lens for something a bit more normal. More expensive is the 25mm .95 Voigtlander, which is the reason many of us purchased GH2's in the first place. Fantastic lens, but pricey. ($800-$1050)

• Thanks Vitality, sorry about that, I'll move it over to that post. I just didn't want them thinking I was hijacking the post with my small novel here.

• Thanks a lot csync, I do like the look of those Konica lenses...and that is another thing about the "normal" lens being a 50mm...and the 2x crop factor...a 50mm lens that is really a 100mm on the GH2 is a little closer than I really need I think...I hate that 25mm .95 Voigtlander lens...only because it looks so damn awesome and I can't afford it..lol Thanks again for your help, I'm going to move this topic over to the low light lens discussion topic.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions