Personal View site logo
Indie Filmmaking Lenses
  • I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to lenses. I purchased the GH2 with the intent of filming a few screenplays I've written over the years, or at least short films in order to promote them. I have no use in the camera for still photography except in capturing stills to eventually promote the videos. I purchased the camera with the 14-140mm kit lens. I really didn't think I would use this kit lens much for filmmaking, since I really hate the zoom look in films. I prefer to move the camera itself, but at $1100 I couldn't beat the price of the 14-140mm pkg.

So between looking at a film called Musgo, which was filmed entirely on GH2 with Tokina (I can't afford) and Nikon 28mm and 50mm lenses, I decided I would purchase a couple. I like the look of the film. I found a Nikkor 50mm 1.4 AIS on Ebay for $158 and a Nikon 28mm f2.8 AIS for $135...I have only $300 to spend, so I thought this might be a good set. I haven't purchased them yet. I saw cheaper non-AIS lenses, but not sure if that matters.

On the other hand, I recently saw a video I liked that had a Vivitar 28-90mm f2.8 lens and a Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8 lens that I liked. I found them for $139 and $70 on Ebay....and another fixed lens Vivitar 28mm AIS f2.8 for $80.

Much of where I will be shooting is right here in the city, lots of shaded streets, under bridges, subway, in vehicles, as well as indoor and bright outdoor settings, etc..so I want lenses that can cover a wide variety of light situations. I love the look of rich contrast and I didn't think the Canon 50mm samples showed much of that. I don't want to be spending money on a focal length that I already have covered with the 14-140 unless it gives me a lot more options as far as light goes.

I would love some input from people who have more experience with any of these lenses. I'm trying to make the most out of my limited $$$. Thanks a lot!

-Mike

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • May be use this topic http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2161/low-light-lenses-for-gh2#Item_32 ?

As I really do not like "help me choose lenses" topics, so try keep them into minimum.

• You can probably get that Konica Hexanon for ~$30, they're really nice lenses. The 40/1.8, 50/1.4 and 50/1.7 are all fantastic, but keep in mind that with crop factor they become 80mm and 100mm, which is fine if that's what you want. Otherwise, maybe look toward a 28mm lens for something a bit more normal. More expensive is the 25mm .95 Voigtlander, which is the reason many of us purchased GH2's in the first place. Fantastic lens, but pricey. ($800-$1050)

• Thanks Vitality, sorry about that, I'll move it over to that post. I just didn't want them thinking I was hijacking the post with my small novel here.

• Thanks a lot csync, I do like the look of those Konica lenses...and that is another thing about the "normal" lens being a 50mm...and the 2x crop factor...a 50mm lens that is really a 100mm on the GH2 is a little closer than I really need I think...I hate that 25mm .95 Voigtlander lens...only because it looks so damn awesome and I can't afford it..lol Thanks again for your help, I'm going to move this topic over to the low light lens discussion topic.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions