Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Nikon Hacks, D7000, D7100, D3100, D3200, D5100, V1, V2, J1, D4, D800 and Nikon Tool
  • 336 Replies sorted by
  • BTW the sharpness of the D800 is on par with the gh2. Low light is much better.

• It's frustrating they already came out with a patch for the D800, and hundreds of people around the world have been waiting for months after ordering to receive one.

• The patch was a necessity because you can't buy a 3k camera which can lock up. The one waiting will also be happy to get a camera does not have those problems.

If the mosaic filter is good on the D800 it will have some advantage on even the hacked gh2. It has some very good dynamic range in video mode. At least 12 from Samuel H who designed the flaat profile. It could get to 12.7 but with some noise reduction. The rolling shutter seems much better also and the clean hdmi brings high bitrate and 4.2.2. In the end for best dslr video, it could be on one side the D800/mosaic/ninja vs hacked gh3 if it at least brings better DR and rolling shutter.

• Just need a hack for my d7000 that allow me higher bitrates on video, like GH2. Any hope?

• Are there any plans for more small hacks on the D7000 firmware? For example the one button zoom 100% as on the D300?

(I hope at least it is a small hack...)

• FYI - I've been shooting some initial real life footage with the D800/D800E and I realized that using DX crop mode during movie capture was a complete let down, at least with the built in encoder and also by looking at a broadcast monitor. It brings down the otherwise very good IQ level to an aliasing-fest dropping down below 720p detail and it doesn't help setting sharpness up/down in the camera profile either. Shooting with the D800E in FX mode was VERY sharp and detailed, I noticed no aliasing and moire is controlled in that sense you have to reach the point where subject detail matches the 36MP pixel array of the sensor, that'll give you some colour moire. I have to do some more shots and Nikon Nordic was interested and would pass this on "as they hadn't heard about this" yeah right... I work in a professional camera store and I do camera research on a rather technical level. I didn't find the D800E to be sharper than the GH2, rather slightly less IQ but DR is fantastic and the low light would be as well. Upon deciding for the D800 or the D800E I would definitely go for the E version, in any way. In stills mode it smokes. I'll try and gather some more findings later on, if I get time that is. Cheers from Sweden. :)

• Hi everybody. I'm a nikon addict and D7000 video user and i'm soooooo sad when i see the Magic Lantern for all Canon DSLR or Panasonic Gxy Vitaly Hack ... Why it's not possible to have same possibilities on Nikon DSLR ? Hardware or Software limitations ? Too small community of developers ? No money ? Not enough testers ?

My wishlist is : Higher bitrate, 60fps, On-screen audio meters, Manual gain control, Zebra stripes (video peaking), Control of focus and 100% zoom (like Sony Alpha XX with the Trash button on video mode).

I think it's important to create a big great community of Nikon Video User (Nikon was the first to lunch video on DSLR with D90), Professionnals and others and create something ... great (like MagicLantern website)

• Hello everyone, I know that we should not write here, if nothing new has lead to the hack, but I come here every day, and I see that nothing happens, the Nikon D7000, and I find ca bad, because I feel that this device will n ever an update in 25 second picture, unlike canon which community develops new tools every day

and thank you to people who try to find the hack

• is there any hack for D3100, to operate non-original batteries

• Excellent job! I just did it to my two d7000 bodies. Only thing is that I can only record up to 24min & 18sec per clip even with a 32GB card in them. Anyone else have this problem or is this normal?

• Anyone else have this problem or is this normal?

I think it is related to maximum file size - 4GB.

• I think it is related to maximum file size - 4GB.

@1ricca VK is essentially correct, although the limit is actually closer to 3.5GB for reasons unkown at the moment.

• Of course! Thanks VK :) You da man.

• @matt1128 I'll have to check. I'll shoot a few full length clips tonight and check the frame count in FCP or Premiere. My guess is that you're correct though if there are differences in file size. These are my 2nd and 3rd bodies for shooting but It would be nice to get these bodies a little more useful and less scary to use while shooting weddings.

• When can we expect the new ntool with D800 support?

• @Brian202020 - Perhaps not long after some generous reader donates a D800 to Vitaliy's cause?

The hackability of DSLR's (and the Panasonic AF100) is very likely limited by the hardware-assisted nature of their built-in AVCHD/H.264 encoders. Unlike Panasonic's G-series cameras, which use encoders implemented completely in firmware, other DSLR's typically rely on hardware-based encoders that may be configured to operate only at specific fixed bitrates.This is why the GH2's unhacked AVCHD software encoder cannot match the quality of Canon and Nikon H.264 encoders at low bitrates. However, that's also what makes the GH2 supremely hackable, and capable of delivering far more detailed video images than the encoders of other DSLR's.

• Vitaliy already mentioned according to the recent D800 firmware the current Nikon hacks, like no recording limit, could be easily implemented. I wouldn't think a D800 body would be needed.

• @Brian202020 Yes, that's what I mean about the limited hack potential of Nikon DSLR's. I successfully used NTool on my D5100 to increase its max recording duration beyond 20 minutes, but that's about all that can currently be hacked. For such a limited improvement, I wouldn't risk hacking a $3000 D800.

• I would. For the D800 the only useful hack other than than the time limit removal would be being able to record internally while still having a clean uncompressed 1080 HDMI output. Vitaliy would definitely need a D800 body for that one. Most of the limitations of the D800 are hardware based (8bit HDMI, etc) not software based.

• Hi all,

By anychance do you know if it possible to get the selective color filter on D3100 ? Would be so great...

Cheers,

• By anychance do you know if it possible to get the selective color filter on D3100

What do you mean?

• I mean the D5100 for example is able to take a photo in white&black and with one color. example : http://www.justourpictures.com/roses/imgs/4_barkarole_bwP0027.jpg

This effect is a little bit painful to do manually with a photo editor software.

• @ochaze

Got it. Normally it is quite easy to do, just shoot raw and use good raw software with batch capability.

• Hey All,

we use d7000's as our primary video camera (currently have 4). we are starting to do a lot of live streaming, and it would be simply amazing if we could ditch some of the text/symbol output from the hdmi output. I have already bought one d800, just for the hdmi out, but if we could figure out how to hack it, I would buy beers for everyone. otherwise I have to buy 3 more d800's ($$$!). What exactly do the 'text' patch do, is it this feature? chris.

• Vitaliy_Kiselev,

The D800 has a major disadvantage right now with time-lapse photography, as it generates flickering (aperture inconsistency). On Canon bodies, one can use a "lens twist" hack in order to lock the aperture. But there are no solutions on Nikon bodies. You can read more about these issues here: http://diglloyd.com/blog/2012/20120703_1-NikonD800-aperture-control.html

I am wondering though, would it be possible through a firmware hack to lock the aperture? Like a disengage mode? Meaning you set your camera to M, but the camera does not "reset" the aperture between each shot, but instead stays locked in.

That would be a huge improvement, and allow the D800 to be useful with time-lapse. Ironically it has excellent time-lapse functionality in the firmware, but the results are useless due to this flicker (change in light due to inconsistency in the aperture).

PS: You rock.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions