Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Nikon Hacks, D7000, D7100, D3100, D3200, D5100, V1, V2, J1, D4, D800 and Nikon Tool
  • 336 Replies sorted by
  • @Mdagohoy,

I don't think they want to take donations, atleast not at this time. I think it is because if they did, they would feel like they were obligated to produce a hack for those who donated. Right now, I think anything like a hack is a little premature due to the fact that they are still trying to understand the encrypted firmware coding, which is appears to be very difficult.
  • i don't have credit card, i'd like to donate now. moneygram?
  • @Alexey,
    @Dtrashr,

Whatever you guys can do to help Vitaliy, Simeon and Roos would be greatly appreciated by myself and all of the rest of the Nikon DSLR community.
  • @dtrashr

You can install IDA 5 Free, free BCC compiler, get SDK for 5.0, and try to compile FR Module.
    It is not big.
    Ater this I'll tell you that we need to do.
  • @Alexey

Same as me. I also have programming experience, but I am new to disassembling firmware so not sure how to get started. Would really like to contribute once the right tools like IDA 5.0 with FR process module are available.
  • @Alexey

We work only with IDA Pro Free (previous work with Pentax was at IDA 4.9)
    About FR processor module.
    We need dedicated guy who'll solve few problems with IDA 5.0 Free and also will improve it slightly.
  • Hi all.
    Thank you Vitaliy and Simeone for great job!

I'm new in the sphere of disassembling of camera's sources as for Nikon it didn't make sense before. Now I'm trying to get deeper in this. But I have some issues. I've decrypted D7000_0102.bin file with ntool, I've installed IDA pro 5 and downloaded "FR processor module for IDA Pro" from your site and now I'm looking for IDA 4.9 because as I understand I need it to load db.

Could some one please describe full process as it is done for Pentax(https://www.personal-view.com/faqs/)? In pentax page there are only free tools described, of course it makes sense for most people, but if not free tools will be more useful, please describe them also.

Sorry if my post/question seems stupid/easy but I'm new in this topic. I'm java developer and have experience with assembler only from university.
  • @Vitaliy,

Just got excited by the possibilities. I will try the development category.
  • Guys, no fantasies here.
    This topic is located in development category.
  • @Bumkicho,

You're not the only one getting excited. I also hope for a similar or possible greater level of performance as the GH2, but that might be too much to ask for.
  • I am trying hard not to get overly excited about this, but it is extremely difficult not to be. If we could raise mbps on D7000 with this development, that would make my Christmas.
  • I updated NTool to v1.2

https://www.personal-view.com/gh1hack/ntool.zip

Now you can change firmware and pack all back.
    It'll recalculate all CRC sums.
    It also checks CRC sums in existing file, just in case.
  • Big Nikonians dream is to have video on D700 (not d7000) like the D3S does...
  • @Mika23,

I hope also for enabling 60fps even if it is in the 720P mode
  • Wow. Respect LPowell. YOU got the point exactly.
    Very nice to see that People are thinking and spending time much about Nikon D5100 Video Mode, i didn't know that. (I was very frustrated until today) Thaught that only possibility improving Nikon Video is ..to wait and buy next Models in coming years. :-(

Yes! Better Results with CPowell's Help in Auto ISO (max. is 200) Aperture Mode works now manually.
    I was reading once the Shutter Speed will not go under 1/30 anyway, iso setting that will be overwrighted!?

I still think D5100 (& D7000..) and GH2 (and GH3..!) have THE Potential / the BEST compromises on market to do what everybody wants, pointed to the Hardware. (and i don't like canon).

My wishes:
    Any 60p Mode (720p ok..), kind of metering, bitrate / codec improvements and a quicker Access to the manual Funktions.
    Thank you all
  • @Mika23
    Since it lacks a Live View histogram, I think the Nikon D5100 actually works best in Auto-ISO mode when shooting video. However, it is possible to preset the camera's aperture and shutter speed. Here's a link to a detailed description of the technique I use:

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/1195/nikon-d5100-compared-to-panasonic-gh2#Item_3
  • Hi!
    you to a great and importent Job on catching this high Potential, esp. for the GH2!
    (Love this possibilties and your Work)

I think the D5100 (i own) has the best APS-C Sensor on the Market.
    But poorly horrable limitations in the Video Mode!

- ISO in Video is not adjustable(!) ..many here don't notice!
    - Shutter Speed in Video is not adjustable.
    (- and the Aperture in Livew. not changing until Livew. off/on)
    - more Bitrate would always be fine..

I would give a big donate if you can do something on this.
    Best Regarts and good luck
  • @Vitaliy

Thanks for any input you can provide.
  • @Simeon

Thanks, good news.
    I try to make simple GUI tool after weekend.
  • Yip it was roos and his friend that found the CRC, for all but the D5100 & D3100, which I found overnight, and just posted the code
  • Is ntools, the precursor to getting fully involved then VK? Or is @roos picking up from simeon?
  • D7000 A and B files use xmodem type CRC16, big endian encoding on the whole file except the checksum itself. The bundled file doesn’t need to be signed, the camera loads it fine anyway. We didn’t do much testing on the D5100 or the D3s files, however we couldn’t make it work with the same algorithm.
    Just confirmed that the B firmware for the D7000 is using the big endian CRC16, but seems the FR CPU is big endian, that implies they copied the little endian code.
    A firmware checksums all workout fine using the above mentioned method, but the B’s don’t… the plot thickens… You’re also correct, it does not work for the D3100 or D5100.

• There is more discussion and information from the people that did the checksum discovery in the comments here:

http://simeonpilgrim.com/blog/2011/11/18/nikon-firmware-insights-02/comment-page-1/#comment-23516

@roos,

Was it you? In that case congratulations!
  • @toenee

You can invite them here :-)
  • D7000 firmware parts use the xmodem algorithm and that the archive doesnt need a checksum at all. After that, changing the words, applying the checksum and crypto before loading it into the camera was pretty straight forward.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions