Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
TRD Beholder DS1 and EC1 gimbals for Canon/Nikon DSLR
  • 120 Replies sorted by
  • @smoke32

Yes I am using the provided quick plate, adding my own would not allow the camera to balance properly. I don't have a setup video but there are plenty out there on how to balance ect. Did you have a specific question/issue?

• @grisnjam Are you using the extra plate at the bottom for the GH4 12-35? Do you have a setup video you could post?

• My review, mainly sample footage:

• @Scot and any others using the DS1 - I just picked one up from B&H used dept, as they have been backordered on new ones for some time now. Got it working pretty well for the most part, though I am pretty sure the previous owner had messed with the various profiles. Could you upload (google drive or wetransfer, etc) the default factory profiles (all 5 if you don't mind) as well as any you have created that work for certain setups? I am most interested in the GH4 and 12-35mm. Currently, all of my profiles are currently giving some subtle oscillations / shakes. It would be great to have a centralized database with profiles for different cam/lens combos. Thanks!

• A few pages back, someone mentioned issues with the NX1 + 16-50mm S lens. What's the latest on that? Is it doable on this gimbal?

• @jopereira That's great! Now all we need is to get bluetooth working and I'll be really happy.

• Did the upgrade, seems way better with original settings.

• 2.56b7 it is the latest that the basecam software suggests. The connector for BT is under the board about where your thumb is in your pictures.

• @Scot I missed your post concerning fw update. What version do you have now?

• @Scot Do you have pictures of it? Do they have cables connected?

• @jopereira The connector is under the board not on the top. You have to remove board to see it. I hope to have more information soon.

• @Scot Vbat label should be for the connector upfront (from battery). Well, maybe I'll try something.

• I also wanted to mention I updated the firmware to the most recent. It fixed the shaking when at the 45-90 degree position it appears to have been a bug. No clue why they are not suggesting people move to it. Of course do it at your own risk.

• The size of them and the vbat identifier leads me to believe they are power inputs. That being said I believe the leads for the joystick can be used if set that way in the basecam software. Look at the bluetooth setup looks like there is more than one way to connect. Also refer to basecam manual. I will post my settings they now seem to be working fine

• Here are some pictures of those 4 'test' points.

DS1 a.jpg
    800 x 600 - 148K
    DS1 b.jpg
    800 x 600 - 144K
  • @Scot Ok, post your finding and the settings your using.

About the board: there is no free connector available but those 4 points in the board makes me think that an "under development" BT module could be fitted there...

• @jopereira LOL were on the same page opened mine up too and came to same conclusion. Although I did not think there was anything that looked like a serial connection. Bit of a disappointment they chose to go this route especially in light of the upcoming Pilotfly H2 very frustrating. I also have to admit steering you wrong the original values for gain were not 255. I have a copy of the original settings from the factory and yours were set correctly. I have to admit all this PID setting is a black magic art. So many things confuse like why does each mode have different settings? That being said I went back played with factory settings found one mode worked better than others (no vibration) and changed all others to match and they seem fine. Real world tests tomorrow.

• @anti12 Thanks, I've seen that mention before. All my tests were done with screen flipped in, and didn't see bad behavior when I tried with flip out position (useful when shooting high or low, but in this position LCD is naturally angled)

• @joepereira the flip out screen can cause vibrations too. Just change the angle of the screen. The vibration will stop. I'm using GH4 with Speedbooster and Samyang 16mm without pid tuning. The tilt angle is a bit limited with this configuration. You can also use the simple bgc android app and usb OTG cable on the hidden usb-port to control the gimbal with your phone.

• @Scot I get the same thing with my changed values. With original ones, it's even worst.

I already opened my DS1, expecting a more standard printed board, but this one is custom made and I'm not sure we can install a BT module in there. I'll post a picture here because there are 4 points that could very well be a serial data connection (needed to connect a BT module). If that's the case, there's no need for anything else except a 5USD BT module...

• @jopereira PID settings are specific to cameras and lens combos so not sure how helpful. My PID settings for a G7 with a Oly 9-18 mounted to DS1 with an arca swiss clamp G7 needed more weight and I was happy to be able to use my mount of choice. Roll P 100 / I .17 / D 100 Pitch P 30 / I .15 / D 35 Yaw P 60 / I .2 / D 100 That being said still working on understanding the process and slowly getting a handle on it. You must learn to use the monitors to see what is going on and get the right feel. So far these work great for me and even ok with 14-140 more testing needed. I still get some jitter when roll hits about 45-90 degrees can't figure how to stop that without screwing something else up so I accept it as nature of the beast. The only time I'm going to be that extreme is when changing orientation. I do wish there was blue tooth but they seemed to have left that off there circuit board very disappointing as I'm sure it would have cost little to include it. Though I would think you might be able to do it with a dongle? I will post a test and my DS1 rigged up as soon as I get a chance.

• And how about adding a bluetooth module to our DS1? Anyone?

• If you wanna buy the external wired remote for your DS1/MS1 buy it from this guy, $15 cheaper than the other place. I bought my DS1 from him too.

http://www.cnchelicopter.com/beholder-ds1-ms1-wired-remote-control-2000mm-cable-set/ http://www.cnchelicopter.com/beholder-ds1-ms1-wired-remote-control-1000mm-cable-set/

• @Scot

Thanks for noting that. In fact, I think it helped a lot. Wondering why my DS1 was originally that way (the first thing I did when connected to a computer was saving original profiles, so I'm sure about that!).

@HillTop1

I appreciate that (post them here in a ZIP file).

I encourage all to post configurations and in which camera/lens setup they work well.

• @jopereira, sorry I meant to ask about the firmware version. If you're running firmware 2.55b7, which seems like you're then you should be fine. I don't know why you're still having vibration issues. When I get back home later in the week I will certainly look at my settings. Also try putting a canon or nikon camera (obviously with a lens that can balance) and see if you still have vibration issues. If you do then there might be something wrong with your because the DS1 is made for cameras with that weight class. I have tried it with a nikon750 and the new 20mm f1.8 lens and it worked great without any need for calibrations.