Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
DaVinci Resolve 18 and older 17 and 16
  • 459 Replies sorted by
  • Yes, but they don't sell the version with a software key online. You need to buy a box, seriously! Very bad for those in countries where customs charge big time on that empty box…

• @Psyco

BM stated what they move from dongles in Davinci 14 and will sell it with serial numbers or such.

• @RRRilla Not sure what you mean - you can buy Resolve Studio online and in stores (not talking about the appstore). You buy the Resolve Studio Dongle, the software is included, but maybe not the latest version (just download it from the HP).

• @RRRilla

Laziness. If you ask me, BM is most disorganized and messy company I know.
    They even adapted all product design and manufacturing process to internal company culture.

• What has amazed me greatly is that to this day, you cannot buy resolve studio as software only. (and yeah, you can buy from app store but that does not help me.) please share if you know why.

• I second that, @nomad. I have had it crashed on me twice, I had to save my projects and had to re-start again. It is much faster than 12, but a few hiccups here and there.

• Win version should have got some more beta time. Far less reliable than MacOS version. This is no PC bashing, it's the simple fact that the number of possible configurations is much higher.

Unfortunately, it's IBC now, so time again for unfinished products.

• After final 14 release Studio Win version appeared cracked on scene. First time for long long time.

• Resolve 14.0 final release available now. It is working very well on OSX.

• Resolve 14 b8 now available. Cineform support and other bug fixes.

• yea stuff like that drives editors crazy VK

• @sammy

Actually this small things is what takes thousands of man hours while developing NLE.

• also im not able to see the waves in the audio track in the editing menu, not sure if i pressed something wrong.. pan should be in clear view and volume trim is really not accurate (little move of mouse takes it all the way up or all the way down)

• Beta 5 was better and more stable.. one thing thats an issue also, for example if you bring in mono audio track into timeline, davinci is not smart enough to understand its mono, and i have to make a new mono track for it to not be panned left or right where mono should be centered, if i plug it into a stereo track it will pan it one way..I never had this issue with any other software from video to audio

• I second that explanation. Beta 6 seems to be a massive re-write for audio and until now is less stable than 5 for me too.

It's very interesting what they are trying, but it's still far from a stable release. Don't use it for paid work!

• @tonalt

I think it can happen due to big changes they made in audio part. Previously it can be old code.

• Yeah, I wonder if they have any systematic testing prior to releases. Like DR is now targeted to consumers, and video file with mp3 track is like the most typical use case of all.

• Just upgraded to Beta 6 studio , MP3 audio tracks are stuttering and causing Davinci to crach, previous beta didn't have this issue ..WAV audio tracks are fine

This can happen in small overstressed development teams without extensive written tests.

• Just upgraded to Beta 6 studio , MP3 audio tracks are stuttering and causing Davinci to crach, previous beta didn't have this issue ..WAV audio tracks are fine

• General Improvements

I don’t want to list all the smaller changes in the ergonomics and GUI of the program – you can read by yourself, right? Even if the excellent manual by Alexis van Hurkman has grown to nearly 1,300 pages, I wish every manual for software would be written by an experienced user (and not an engineer proud of all the parameters they squeezed in). BTW, if you need training beyond what’s free on YT or Vimeo, he’s also the author of the paid videos at Rippletraining, which I can recommend. A few things I’d like to mention nevertheless.
    Markers can now have a duration and are interchangeable for Subclips. Scrubbing and setting in or out by thumbnails works now similar to Premiere. Eyedroppers for black- and whitepoint or color balance help you to get a quick basic approach (even if not instant beauty for sure). Easier and more flexible assignment of keyboard shortcuts and working with keyframes are worth mentioning, though the latter are still lacking position curves in the timeline.

Media management has been improved, you can now drag-n-drop whole folders and can have more than one bin window open when cleaning up. The Clone tool got a list of pro-grade checksum choices and is finally fully functional after gaining the possibility to unmount media from within DR. Fast construction of alternative display names for hundreds of clips is supported by extracting information from metadata with placeholders. Search function and Smart Bins can finally look for marker names or notes. Audio and video can be separated as subclips by key modifiers when dragging and you may create duplicates of clips in separate bins. The whole Media Pool acts like a watch folder now: DR will check if an imported clip fits any missing media in the timelines. Re-conform has been improved substantially, you can now look for footage in bins or locations in storage with detailed specifications and even set priorities what it should try link to, like a list of codecs for example (don’t forget to activate Search Subfolders).

This can save you a lot of work:

Conform_Options.png
    1727 x 1573 - 328K
  • @caveport

I have no idea you talk about.

Even ENG style camcorders by Panasonic Panasonic AG-UX90 and UX180 have skin detail setting allowing to smooth skin.

• @nomad So you meant "TV cameras" not "TV cameras"? really? No wonder I'm confused!

• Sorry, Caveport, I meant TV cameras, but maybe I wasn't clear enough.
    I don't watch a lot of TV any more, but whenever I do, I see that crap with anchorwomen or in soaps, and they normally use studio cameras. And my TV has all stupid filters switched off in the menus.
    Anyway, I just wanted to say: if you need such functions, Resolve can do it better now than you can do in current cameras – professional or amateur alike.

• The confusion comes from the term "TV cameras", when he means consumer cameras.