Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
12mm f/1.6 Noktor
  • 739 Replies sorted by
  • Just finished this with very intensive use of the Noktor 12mm. My lens wobbles as well. The yellow ring is very annoying when using filters. Why is it yellow!!? Should be black! But besides that. I LOVE the lens.
  • I got mine lens today.

Can't comment much yet.
    Metal lens. Not up to the Vivitar Series 1 or Canon FD L standards, of course.
    As you know it has aperture ring on the front as on most industrial lenses. Do not like it.

My lens has a problem, mount is not attached properly, it wobbles.

Lens is absolutely usable at F1.6, despite heavy chromatic abberations (they are down at about 2.8, at 2.0 still strong).
  • Another vid :

• This should really put the stupid discussion about this lens being another toy lens to an end.

I like their decision to put away with the green ring for black – it would have been a problem with filters.

And regarding the flare, well, maybe I'm old school, but I like it!

Looks like a great wide-angle for a good price.
  • Vitaliy. Lens design involves more than just entering specs into a computer and receiving a blueprint.
    The Kowa 8mm lens has 120 lpm in center and 80 lpm at the corner. Thats a big difference between center and corner sharpness.
    To improve this requires more glass elements. This would increase the light loss. Adding correctional elements also changes the optical properties of the original glass.

Also adding a tele would increase the difference between corner and center sharpness as well as adding light loss.
    This is why the Oly 12mm lens costs so much.

Finally a lens optimized for 1" coverage requires a major rework for 1.33" coverage. Lens designs do not always scale so well. Otherwise, Nikon and Canon would manufacture the same lens for every single sensor size from 35mm to 1/4-inch.
  • >A new lens design. Designing lenses is not very easy. There only about a dozen manufacturers around the world who actually design *quality* lenses nowadays

They could just ask Kowa or other quality CCTV lens manufacturer to made lens according to specifications.
    It really can be some lens with added lens group acting as tele converter.
  • Just a summary of stuff here.
    1. Add a 0.45x WA to the 25mm. Per my knowledge there is NO 0.45x WA on the market. All the 0.45x WA lenses have a WA and a rear macro element. The macro element is essential to focus but converts the 0.45x to a 0.7x.
    2. A new lens design. Designing lenses is not very easy. There only about a dozen manufacturers around the world who actually design *quality* lenses nowadays. Mainly in Japan and Germany. I would suggest reading some papers on lens design to see why a lens with corner sharpness is hard to design, and a wide fast lens with corner sharpness is harder still.
    3. Tele added to Kowa 8mm. A quality tele is easier to design than a quality wide. So this can be a possiblity.
    4. SLR Magic is a fraud because its a one man shop in HK. Screw you mate. I don't like commies but the chinese govt have a space program that actually works (as opposed to NASA which is a bureaucratic mess), and I knew some brilliant chinese post-grad students in my MS classes.
  • That lens looks quite interesting.

Using a longer lens and wideangle adapter with apertures of arround F2.0 is nonsense - I have tryed it and IQ is horrible. It just doesn't work.

But I think it is absolutely possible that its a modified Kowa LM8HC - it looks VERY similar. Teleconverters can deliver sharp images and the 8mm seems to already nearly cover the m4/3 sensor (as shown in the other thread). With a 1.5 teleconverter it would definitely cover m4/3, even putting any distortion at the corners outside the sensor. Only apperture would not be F1.6, it would more be like F1.7 - but I have no idea how to really test this small difference.

Finding the right teleconverter, putting everything together to make a solid lens is not easy and some effort. And the Kowa does cost arround $300, so adding $200 for the teleconverter and effort is not absolutely over the top - it isn't cheap either.

As I don't have the lens, I can't test it - but someone with the lens in there own hand can try to seperate the rear element form the rest of the lens. If thats a 1.5 teleconverter and a 8mm lens - the SLRmagic might be a little rip off, but that doesn't matter. It would be much more interesting to be able to use the whole Kowa lens series with a teleconverter on m4/3 cameras ;-)

I think it is very interesting how this lens was designed and built, but not for the bashing, more out of pure technical curiosity.
  • I would like to see some testshots at f1.8 - f4. Extreme shallow DOF can be nice, but it really lacks some sharpness.
  • My first testshoot with the prototype Noktor 12mm.
  • am I the only one that thinks this lens is soft soft soft... dont like the look of the lens AT ALL... IDK maybe I'm spoiled with my LOMO primes?
  • That 12mm is $254 on that link!! Cheapest I've seen for that one. These lenses are for 1" sensors. All the other cheap CCTV lenses are for 1/2" or 2/3" so that looks like they need to be 26mm+ to cover the sensor while that 8mm almost covers .

http://www.kowascope.com/frontend/proddisp.asp?co=10000380
    A link to the 1" Kowa sensor line with model numbers for further searches. 8mm to 50mm is f1.4!

EDIT: Looks like spytown has 12mm-50mm between $254-$300. The 8mm is around $320.
  • I think a really good test would be for anyone with a 25mm lens that provides full coverage on M4/3 to put a 0.45x or 0.5x wide angle adapter on it, and shoot some tests - stills and motion, and just show the results. If the results are any good we have just proved that it is possible to use a decent wide angle adapter to achieve similar results. I'm not saying its good or bad or deceptive or not, but I think if we all find we can get a 10mm or 12mm equivalent without much light loss using a decent wide angle adapter then we have achieved something at least. (20mm pancake with 0.45x would be really interesting)
  • @kron

Please, do your homework and find facts.
    I don't give a fuck about your reasons why you "don't have to prove anything".
    I stated in one of the first message here, that products on this forum are not judged by brand or country of origin.

>This guy has been caught trying to pass rebadged CCTV lens as original designs 4 times out of 4 already

Please provide me links and facts to your words.

>"someone with an history of deception"

You are really funny :-) I laughted reading your message. Keep it up :-)
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev Sorry, but I still don't have to prove anything. It's safe to assume that someone who has made fraudulent claims about all his products is going to do it again. As you said earlier, human nature. SLR magic claims this is an original design, he's the one who has to prove it to the potential buyers. I think it's a reasonable expectation.

Also, I can assure you that I have better things to do than argue the benefit of exposing frauds on a webforum. If you don't see it, then don't worry, I won't keep at it. No point in trying to caution willful victims. Sure, if this lens prove to be an original design, I will apologies.

@nomad As he did for the other rebadged lens, he just makes those numbers up. The 26mm was a 25mm. I can make up numbers too, can't you? Beside, light loss from a WA adapter is minimal, a third of a stop maybe?

This guy has been caught trying to pass rebadged CCTV lens as original designs 4 times out of 4 already. You guys are suggesting we give him another chance, in case he's not trying to screw us again, is that it? That's quite a departure from the realm of reason. I learn faster than that, personally. Am I special?

I don't think it's too much to ask for the lens formula. We are talking $500 here, that's a lot of money to risk on someone with an history of deception. A few tough questions are called-for, even if that makes me and sohus the bad guys.

Best regards.
  • Poor people like me should learn more AE tricks to make up for the gap between poor lenses and rich lenses...
  • I say, people should judge by results ...
    What would happen if same lens and quality was branded as "voigtländer" should there be complains ?
    Make movies, and let others guess what lens was used, i doubt any one will say a "CCTV" ...
    I just don't have funds (to buy this one), this will be my second dream lens ... (after nokton 25mm 0.95)
  • How can a f 1.6 lens stay 1.6 with an adaptor? That's complete BS!
  • SLRMagic needs a new brand name. I don't like their ghetto name. BTW a nice review, @eoshd.
  • 25mm to 12mm using a wide angle adapter? You must be joking @kron

Even if it is based on Kowa optics (where on earth this info came from, you're not saying!) there's no shame in that. Kowa made some of the highest end cinema lenses ever produced by a Japanese manufacturer, and they fetch $5k+ on eBay today.
  • @kron

I am not "censoring posts cruicial to SLR magic" :-)
    As you can see your post about " 25mm with WA on top " still remains in topic.

But your last post and this one is of no help to any of the members.
    Because you repeat same information that you can't prove in any way.

>"I find it extremely disingenuous of you to ask me to prove that. You know I can't and won't,"

This is that I must ask you in any case, because otherwise it is unfounded bashing.

>This lens is identical to the Kowa 25mm, it just has a WA and a m4/3 adapters.

Last time I talked with people who have the lens they do not see any screw on wide adapter or attached m43 adapter.

In no way I want to protect SLR Magic guys.
    If I'll have this lens in my hand I promise you that I'll do anything to find m43/WA adapters.
    But if I won't find them be ready to take your words back and say sorry.

Under 25mm Kowa lens you mean this one - http://www.industrialvisioncomponents.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_130&products_id=390 ?

Specs - http://www.industrialvisioncomponents.com/documents/kowa/LM25JC.pdf
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev Why do you censor posts critical of SLR magic? SLR magic is one man show. A guy in the back of a H.K. shop with an habit of re-badging CCTV lens cannot design a bran new lens. This lens is identical to the Kowa 25mm, it just has a WA and a m4/3 adapters.

I find it extremely disingenuous of you to ask me to prove that. You know I can't and won't, unless the guy send me one of marvel lens. This like theists asking atheists to disprove the existence of god. SLR magic makes the claims, he is the one who has to prove them.

I know you're in contact with him, right? So, it's shouldn't be too hard to have him come here and prove this alleged original design by showing us the lens formula. Why is this still a secret? Every lens manufacturers release their formulas before launch. Also, have him show us RAW images, please.

Thank you for your time, best regards.