Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
12mm f/1.6 Noktor
  • 739 Replies sorted by
  • It sucks that it's so hard to find some good lens gears for the SLR Magic 12mm. I contacted them to find out the dimensions and the diameter but so far they have been reluctant to tell me. They just told me that they will be releasing their own special lens gear in the next 2 weeks.

• @Stonebat I have the 14mm already, first lens I bought for the GH2. Amazing little guy for the price. Got mine for $160. I just want to avoid putting glass in front of glass as much as possible but I might say what the hell. What's the new field of view once that adapter is put on?

• @thoughts2uk Here ya go. Problem solved. I bought a bunch of these, pulled em tight and they work on all my lenses including the SLR just fine! They are a little stretchy so you can pull em nice and snug. Best lens gear I've bought. Also, of course they are releasing their own special gear soon. It'll probably be $50! Just like their precious step up ring for $50-$80 that I found on ebay for $8. By this, problem solved.

20120713_160030.jpg
    720 x 540 - 57K
  • Ditto @vicharris! Did you ever get the FDFF? Here's my geared 12mm.

DSC06141.JPG
    2592 x 4608 - 2M
  • @Fosterchen I didn't. It doesn't reach long enough on my current rig setup but I might change some things to get it. Still working well for you?

• Seeking advice for a hood option for this lens. Searches yield no results, other than I need a 58-77mm step up ring to do this without vignetting. am constantly battling flares and lighting artifacts whenever the sun hits it, and I'm pretty sure I have the updated version that supposedly handles flares better. I tend shoot at f2.8 and higher, only use faster apertures when I need them in low light or for DoF. Anyway, aside from a matte box any ideas for hood options? I realize its hard to do considering its such a wide lens.

• @jdert Not sure how much research you did before you bought this lens or what you plan to use it for but just about every review and multiple times on this thread alone people state that this lens is prone to flares. It's one of the characteristics of it. It's not a clean, perfect piece of glass. It has lots of character and imperfections, that's what makes it unique. I'm afraid if you want a perfect image that looks like video, you might have made the wrong purchase. Also, I posted earlier about a cheap step up ring alternative I found that works just fine but there isn't a hood i've found that works for this thing. Just too wide. I'm sure there's something out there. I have a wide angle mattebox that works but other than that it's just my hand at this point but I bought the lens for it's flares. If I wanted a clean wide angle shot, I'd throw on my 14mm pany and add the wide angle adapter that Rambo uses.

• I researched it pretty thoroughly actually, but was still a pretty early adopter so there werent a ton of reviews on it. Its actually my glidecam lens mostly, and controlling light on a glidecam without a hood is a pain...unless I rig a matte box on it but that gets pretty large and clunky. Overall I actually love this thing, especially for creative capabilities such as macro with shallow DoF. I suppose I'm not used to lenses so wide and not being able to put a hood on them, I was on fullframe and APS-C for the past several years. One of the caveat's of the 2x crop I suppose. Anyway, thought I would ask around. I may offload it for the Olympus 12mm f2 or a Tokina 11-16, but have to test those first.

• I picked up one of these wide angle metal hoods for $6 a few weeks ago. It went down in price!! Works with 77mm ND filter. Step up ring was only $2.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/220885139766?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

• Nice, can you post a pic of it on your lens? No vignetting?

• @jleo That little guy looks awesome! Might have to grab one.

• @vicharris, the FDFF still works great, though on certain gear belts it might slip somewhat...have to really get it tight and in the grooves and no fast focusing! I'm starting to look for an alternative (more traditional) follow focus just to see which works better.

• Interesting article Vitaliy...Posted my experience about the 50mm cine T0.95 in that specific threat: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2748/50mm-slr-magic-cine-t-0.95#Item_30

• Just received my new SLR Magic Lens Gear. Great quality, heavy and robust. I will post pictures and let you know how I get on with it next week after my shoot.

• @thoughts2uk How much is it?

• Quite expensive at $80 but is an interesting design, fits perfect and built like a rock. Will put up a picture later next week. I will be putting it to the test this week on a short film shoot and will post my opinion too.

• @thoughts2uk Wow! For a gear? Well, that sounds about right coming from that company. I found some that work really well for $8. I actually just emailed SLR about more concerns with the lens and of course they have never heard of such things. Seems everytime someone has a problem, it's the first of such issue. Anyways, after telling me this, he offered to sell me one of these gear rings!!!! That should tell everyone about this company. STAY AWAY!!! Period. A customer emails about a concern, they deny they've ever heard of such a thing, which is BS and then try to sell me a overpriced part, just like their $50-$80 step up ring that I'm sure is the same as the $8 one I bought. I'd bet all my gear on it.

• They just posted a picture of the gear on Twitter

https://p.twimg.com/AybbM9lCQAAeuKF.jpg:large

It seems to cover the marking, that's quite bad.

They confirmed the 80$ price tag in a reply to me. I also asked why they don't make their lenses with built-in gears right out of the box, that's what they said "The gears increase the lens price for photographers so it is made as optional" - I find it strange. Probably another term for "we can't make money from accessory gears if they are built-in"

• I sold my lens, got my money back. Bought a used Tokina instead. Not as fast, but at least it's sharp and focus to infinity. Using it at 11-13 on the GH2, but when using it on s35 I use it at 15-16. Perfect :P

• ...looks like they found an oversized gear from an old clock radio ( 29 cents) and selling it for $80

• $80 for that!! This company is out of their mind!! My $8 gear works perfect.

• Selling my SLR Magic 12mm f1.6 with original box and receipt. Used for a few shoots, original condition. $100 less than retail my friends. PM me if interested.

• Hi guys,

I've been using the SLR Magic 12mm for a few shoots. I just came off a short film shoot and it performed amazingly with the Voigtlander 25mm and Zeiss ZF 50mm 1.4. Grading the different shots won't be too much of an issue to make them look the same. I'll post some shots when I meet with the editor next week. Before I bought the lens I was toying between the SLR Magic or the Olympus but went for the SLR Magic for the cinematic look. I've been lucky in that I haven't had any problems so far as so many people seem to have had.

One issue I originally had was the lens gear for the SLR Magic. I couldn't find a suitable one which I was comfortable working with, so I contacted SLR Magic and they had just released a custom build for the 12mm lens.

I have to say it is expensive as you'll be paying as much as set of gears for just one gear, but on the other hand, if you use the 12mm a lot, it is totally worth it. It is a metal design and fits around the lens in 2 pieces and then screws together with an allen key. It is solid and made out of metal or aluminium and adds to the weight quite a bit, but it worked with my Lanparte Suitcase rig and follow focus without any problems. I actually just leave the lens gear on permanently now, as with my other gears.

Would I recommend it? Definitely if you need it. Sometimes spending more on something once is much better than spending something cheaper but many times. Just my opinion.

I will stick a picture of the gear when I get back to my office.

if you have any questions about the lens or the gear, let me know.

Cheers

• Just got back from Budapest and Prague where I was playing with this lens wide open. Here's a few raw screen shots of some night stuff. I guess it's a fun $500 play lens!

Screen shot 2012-09-03 at 7.33.04 PM.png
    1375 x 604 - 1M
    Screen shot 2012-09-03 at 7.25.34 PM.png
    1379 x 611 - 1M
    Screen shot 2012-09-03 at 7.26.46 PM.png
    1381 x 611 - 1M
    Screen shot 2012-09-03 at 7.34.32 PM.png
    720 x 321 - 323K