Personal View site logo
Special deals: Matteboxes, ND filters, ND holders, follow focuses
  • 233 Replies sorted by
  • @andycorleone
    >because it doesn't have a raising mechanism probably some lens will have problems

What do you mean?
    Just lower or raise camera support platform.

None of the matte boxes have "rising mechanism", some have small vertical adjustment.
  • only problem I have with this Mattebox is because it doesn't have a raising mechanism probably some lens will have problems. I can think in the 35-100mm
  • Meant to ask here, about how long will shipping take?
  • >Swingaway: Yes, but rails can get in the way if they are too long?

It can touch rails, but it'll open ok.
    If you don't use bottom flag you can removge it's mount and it won't touch anything at all.

>Cannot adjust height - correct?

Yes. It is the same on any of such boxes except pricey shoot35 (but it requires to unscrew 3 bolts and amount of adjustment is small:-) ).
    Adjustable camera mount is used with such boxes.
    After you installed it's height all will be ok as center of the lens don't change :-)

>For 15mm rails?

:-) Yes. Not for 25mm.

>Only 1 filter holder rotates.

Yes. In 180 degrees range.
    Normally it is enough as rotation is for polarizers or graduate filters.
  • Want to buy this but need to confirm a few things.

Swingaway: Yes, but rails can get in the way if they are too long?
    Cannot adjust height - correct?
    For 15mm rails?
    Only 1 filter holder rotates.
  • I will donate to this site for having no freaking annoying banner. Also the site is full of goodies. It's growing fast into a full blown vdslr community. Yeah the community discount is awesome.
  • Thanks for that deal guys, just sent funds...I had the Genus mattebox pegged in my B&H Wishlist for purchase next week so timing was perfect....
  • @stefanos

HTML :-) b tag :-)
    We'll move to Markdown soon, I think (like Stackoverflow). Will be simpler.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev
    how can you make bold letters when typing?
  • >do we know what kind of shipping is it and if they can lower value for customs?

Most probably shipping will be good (as only courier shipping requires phone).
    But ask seller in comment. Same for customs (you know that this is breaking the law, yes?)

>where did u find it? any link with pics and specs? is it worth it for the cheap 10" monitor?

I pasted what I found in public.
    It can be folded (made fron thin plastic that can be bend on special lines).
    So it came flat :-) This is why seller could ship this as addition to mattebox :-)
    It can be used, but requires holes for HDMI and power buttons made by stepler or any other way. :-)
    Otherwise it is of very good quality, very deep.
    I have 10" one.

>btw. sending a few dollars your way for saving us bucks wouldn't be out of order now would it:)?

Nope. This is how we live and pay for hosting.
    God is somehow bad with money, can't make it (c)
  • >Lack of swing away feature isn't a showstopper.

It has swing away :-) Read in my notes in separate topic (link is present on top).
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev
    thank you a lot. I PM'd you. So this is for forum members, no need for group buy.
    do we know what kind of shipping is it and if they can lower value for customs? better ask this at seller though, sorry:)
    about monitor hood: where did u find it? any link with pics and specs? is it worth it for the cheap 10" monitor?

Has the seller imposed some kind of time limited offer?

btw. sending a few dollars your way for saving us bucks wouldn't be out of order now would it:)?
  • Glad I didn't spend big bucks on crappy mattebox last year. Cinematics mattebox is looking great. Lack of swing away feature isn't a showstopper.

GH2VK & GOP3 patch looking great and giving me enough confidence to start my own biz. But my gears are tailored to a soccer dad. Hopefully the matte box gives the extra muscle!!!
  • @PixCanFly
    Don't see anything wrong with it :-) Looks cool.
  • Cinematics should be a bit more subtle with their logo. It's plastered everywhere on their product.
  • >if the group cost could get it down into the 200$ range, you can count me in. These things are made in china on machines. They can't cost more than 25$ in materials(if that much).

Sometimes I do not know that to say. This is the exact case :-)

@Rerbreg

Same thing. Do not live in fairy tales.

>Yes, it's a good Mattebox, but it's made of plastic, not aluminum, or it's no important?

90-95% mattebox hoods are made from molded plastic.
    Cinematics is exception, yes. But plastic do not make other MB bad.

@cordvision

>the TRUSMT can rotate the stages individually, but the others can't.... is that correct?

Others also can, check links in first post please.
    Cinematics have one rotating stage with 180 degrees range.

• Unfortunately there's no discount for the cinebox... At the moment it's roughly $720 including shipping to the US.... I guess this puts it out of question....
  • Count me in if any of these is below $350 including shipping.
    Only request, it must have a swing away function :)
  • In any case it will be interesting to see, they reduce the price or not.) it seems that more quality мattebox.
    Yes, I just wanted to write about Chrosziel. )
  • Plastic or aluminum can be both good choices. High quality "plastic" is very impact resistant and doesn't deform like aluminum. Chrosziel matteboxes which are really respected in the industry but pretty expensive are made out of "plastic"....
  • Yes, it's a good Mattebox, but it's made of plastic, not aluminum, or it's no important?
  • Besides the Arri MMB-1, which is too expensive, I really like the cinebox from shoot35 ( http://teddydanhfilms.wordpress.com/2011/02/15/my-matte-box-has-arrived/ ). It's well built, has two rotating stages, and is very compact, which is perfect for a dslr. It's a little expensive, especially because of the weak dollar. Nevertheless, I decided to write Wayne (owner of Shoot35) to see how far he would lower the price if a group buy would happen... Let me know what you think about the cinebox, and if you think it would be worth looking into it....
  • looks almost identical, the one that in the video with the light carbon curtain is not bad, I would take it.
    If you are going to buy,TRUSMT, I'm with you.
  • the TRUSMT can rotate the stages individually, but the others can't.... is that correct?