Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • footage looks good, resolution looks good, dynamic range doesn't look much better from the way the juggler's white shirt is blown out looks the way I'd imagine the gh2 would, and lastly check out the moire on the guys shirt in the back right in the last cut. That's one of my favorite things about the gh2, moire is almost never an issue. The sony A99 seems like it's got the kind of enthusiasm from the engineers that i'm looking for in the gh3. Any chance of hacking it's codec? ;)
    edit: just rewatched it in HD and full screen. noise in the blacks seems better but not in the non black shadows looks just as bad as gh2. video overall looks average for a dslr these days. but that moire is screaming 2009 at me in that last shot.

• @bwhitz

You are using wrong topic for your posts, this is the right one

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4657/official-gh3-deficiencies-and-whines-topic

Considering posted footage, my understanding is that it is not original and comes from NLE.

• @bwhitz, I think until we get a direct comparison it's really hard to make such a claim. I just don't see footage as bad as 7D IMO, but I have no direct comparison. Also as i've said we don't know for sure what the settings are and what the footage looks like tweaked for best image.

What I can say is that i'm seeing some nice color and what looks to me like better DR. That much has at least been the consensus from those who were actually at Photokina or have used the GH3. Highest resolution isn't the only thing IMO. I'd trade a bit of sharpness for getting all of the things we've gotten with the GH3 overall. However, there's been no definitive proof we lost any resolution.

• It would be funny if it took better vid with a Sony sensor than an actual Sony cam. But it would also be funny if the Sony took better vid. Funny either way.

• @GH2UW

Your enlightened "bullshit" comment the other day about what I said regarding manufacturers cynically "unlocking" new features in the same camera hardware with only a firmware upgrade is itself "bullshit" in view of recent comment from Canon that "Canon confirmed ... the 1D C 4K DSLR is a 1D X with a firmware update. Identical hardware." $6,000 firmware that is. (canonwatch.com)

Yep, just this guys (and this is just 43rumors other domain) copy-pasted this from Voldemort post.
    And this claim is exactly bullshit if you think at least a little.

• Maybe it is just crap. I'm suspicious because Canon "expert" is not named. I was considering something less grandiose.

Voldemort...LOL.

• @GH2UW Just saw your earlier comment about one-to-one testing. Yes, I agree - that is going to be the only way to really judge image quality.

• Ahhhh, the crazy bus seems to be gently coming to a stop =) Maybe it them boobies in the last clip that reminded everyone there is more to life than freak outs ;)

GH3, we will meet you soon enough.

• To Quote Voldemort who posted the vid..

The GH2 remains unique for being so clean in the way it scales the full sensor from 18MP to 1080p in video mode. What is the tonic? I feel it is needed again here.

Perhaps that is what some of us are seeing, to some ...not a big issue, to others it is. Not a gripe...just an observation.

• Anybody interested in RAW and JPEG pictures from the GH3? I could upload some of them later

• VM's footage looks pretty good, I don't get the moaning... The only thing I'm worried about so far is moire attack (guy's shirt at about 1 min.)

edit: LOL Vitaliy, you're a busy bee ;)

• @ AKED

I would be interested in any additional clips you might have. There's so much controversy swirling around the GH3, it would be helpful to see more video, both AVCHD and MOV. Thanks for all your work!

• Ι have to confess. GH3 looks to me NOT so impressive BECAUSE my eyes used to GH2 with SANITY 5 and Flowmotion!!! But if i recall the original firmware of GH2 then , yes GH3 with this premature firmware looks better. Finally, i have to wait tests and it is a Personal View for us if it is 600$ worthy to GH2.

• for all I have seen the last days in different forums and videofiles concerning GH3 ( video part) the steps forward for me are GH1... GH2... BMCC, os far I'm not amused about the GH3

• I'd like to see a locked down video clip + a JPG and RAW still. to compare DR and compression artifacts.

• I'm now convinced that the the odd colorless moire that's cropped up in some high contrast patterns is actually a bug in the chromatic aberration auto correction software. It would explain why there are no funky colors going on and things like brick wall patterns in the Genesis vid seem unaffected.

• I do not know what you mean with a locked down video clip.

But here are a few JEPG Samples between 125 and 1600 ISO

Where can I upload the respective RAW files? Here it is not possibe 8 MB limit and they are 16 MB

P1000184.JPG
    4608 x 3072 - 6M
    P1000185.JPG
    4608 x 3072 - 5M
    P1000189.JPG
    4608 x 3072 - 5M
    P1000191.JPG
    4608 x 3072 - 5M
    P1000194.JPG
    4608 x 3072 - 4M
    P1000199.JPG
    4608 x 3072 - 6M
  • I dont think that the footage of Voldemort is better than a GH2 with a patch. And wich is the real innovation in GH3 in comparssion of GH2, it seem that its only the better lcd.

• Only lcd is in GH3 better than GH2? Ha ha ha. I look forward to the Timelapse-Feature (for Weather-Synopsis). Pictures at ISO1600 are very Clean. In Video-Mode there should be much cleaner, 2-3 stops. This means, a Video with ISO6400 can be so clean like a Picture in ISO1600, this is really great! We get 1080p with 50p and 25 p and higher Bitrate! So we don't need a patch on GH3! (Hope the conuniues recording-feature is also enabled by the 29:59 Time-Limit in Europea).

• @DealjagdLtd As far as I understood the 29:59 feature is especially for the EU version.

• @AKED Yeas i know Dieter. Panasonic-Page says "When recording the video in MOV, AVCHD Progressive and AVCHD, the DMC-GH3 automatically generates multiple seamless files for continuous recording." But is this for the 4GB-File-Limit or is it also for the 29:59 Limit? (Is it allowed to write German here?)

• I'm glad to be out of Gh3 fever. Just don't sell Gh2 yet ;)

• @DealjagdLtd That is because of the 29:59 limit. The GH2 could record longer than 4GB. So that would be no feature.

But we know when it is out.

• Regarding the Raws, send me a PN. You can download it from Dropbox then.

• @AKED Ok, if this feature is for the 29-Minute-Thing, then i never need a patch on GH3 (sorry Vitaly, your work was really good and has influenced the GH3).

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions