Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • @aked Thanks for great interview.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev lol, BTW I would have cast you as Dr. Evil in a world-premiere GH3 short film!

• @AKED

Great job! Now get some rest.

• I dont undestand that chart 'Required extra investment: Lumix X 12-35 f2.8 and CV 25mm f0.95'

The lenses go according to what you want to do and your pocket. You can buy the GH3 and use old lenses or other lens M4/3 more economical.

• Hi to all,

today I made the interview with Markus Matthes, Senior Product Manager of Panasoniic Germany. I got many answers, and many questions not answered. Find the answers to the questions in bold. I collect all unanswered questions, and I have been offered by Panasonic, that I shall send them, and that Panasonic Germany will send these questions to Japan, to get the answers from there. We will see.

You can find it here,:

http://www.personal-view.com/photokina/coverage/interview

• @mozes I just noticed that the video was posted twice before and removed once. I don't want to be redundant but at least people can now go straight to the only good part of the video instead of having to go through all the marketing BS.

• @ahbleza

What lens does the BM come with?

• ahbleza - That graphic makes no sense. Why is a Mac Pro required for the BMDCC? Why did the Sony require a 70-200/2.8 when none of the others required a telephoto zoom?

• weird if people are interested in the gh3, but not reading what is posted before, how many times is that video now posted?

• It is extraordinary how people omit the Nikon camera. Do these people look through there ass. The only camera beside the BMC of Panasonic gh3 that I would consider is the Nikon D600. Just look at the Nikon D600 promo video and at the Sony one or Canon ones. Super Dr, very very low moire and little aliasing, fully uncompressed 422 hdmi out and very low rolling shutter for $ 700 more than a gh3 or $ 800 less than the Sony alpha camera.

People are just entrenched in there brands and hype and just never look beyond that.

• This a long but interesting video. They talk about LED hybrid lighting/flash and the GH3. They threw some good questions at the Panasonic guys and even they did not provide a straight answer you can kind of figure out where all this is going to in terms of future features and firmware. They even talk about the popularity of hacking the GH cameras and how they expect people to try to hack the GH3 as well. For those of you who just want to go to the hot questions, forward to 34:12.

• @ahbleza

Why does one need to buy the Panny x lenses, and Nokton 25mm? I sold my Nokton couple of months back, and have never regretted it. Use whatever lenses you have accrued with GH2. i have a complete suit of Carl Zeiss zfs and am very pleased thank you

• @ahbleza - I know it's not your chart, but immediate implementation of Resolve doesn't seem so necessary. Especially, if I'm getting my feet wet... AE/Colorista will be pretty good for grading pro-res. To the GH3, why is the $1300 12-35 required? I have 3 zooms, (actually 4, but I won't count the 14-42) 2 of them are Nikon mount.

• Here's an interesting comparison (not mine.)

h1tbd.png
    1503 x 436 - 102K
  • B&H is accepting pre-orders now.

• Don't know how it is at Photokina but at NAB, the major manufacturers like Sony and Panasonic also send engineers to the show and they are in the exhibits floor. They dress like any sales rep and stand next or close to the product they help to develop. Sales reps only learn a script based on a standard list of possible questions which is very limited. When someone throw a curb ball they call the engineers to come to the rescue. The problem in the case of Sony (my experience) is that those engineers are Japanese and only speak limited English, so it's hard to get any information unless you speak their native language.

• I'm hopeful the engineers have built in some gems. Panasonic marketing is useless. With a shipping date of November 30th. When do you think firmware will be locked?I mean they have had 2 years to build this. I wonder how difficult they have made it to hack now? I can imagine some very professional quality Android apps for film makers. Maybe even roll Ptools into an app, that can adjust the firmware bitrates remotely.

• Did the photokina team or anyone else for that matter report on what the increments for Shutter speed are?

• i own a GH2 Hacked and 5D mark2 ,i will trade my 5d 2 for GH3 yeah man,and people please ,stop crying for AR GH3 TINA :-)

• So where, again, did Panny specifically say that the sensor is not muli-aspect?

In their spec sheets :-) Check resolutions :-)

As for your "bigger pixel" idea. It is wrong. If you make sensor smaller (not multi aspect now), you reduce number of total pixel count. Simple.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev thanks VK, so it is probably due different encoding or implementation of avchd h.264 and h.264 codec right?

• So where, again, did Panny specifically say that the sensor is not muli-aspect?

Also, you guys wanted lower light useability, so to keep the same sensor size, they decreased max pixel count by 1million pixels, presumably to increase the pixel sizes. Wouldn't this ruin the potential multi-aspect ability of the sensor? It sounds like you guys got what you asked for and now aren't happy that you got it.

• @hedrox

No, it is CONTAINERS, and with proper software you can transfer one to another without affecting video, at all.

• I know this post goes a little bit off topic, but in regards of gh3 .mov container, I´ve had colorgraded some music videos which were shoot on canon 7D (which stores videos in .mov ) and I noticed that the colours holds better and are better to grade than my hacked GH1 .. could someone smart clarify if .mov container can store more color information than .mts even that both are 4:2:0?

• I love how disappointed everyone is without ever using the camera....first-world problems.....

• 2 Graded frames form the 'Cat video', I am not vaguely skilled as a colourist, but the latitude/colour in these clips were very easy to achieve results.

Screen shot 2012-09-19 at 13.40.54.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Screen shot 2012-09-19 at 13.49.30.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions