Personal View site logo
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • @Driftwood Upload a grab which demonstrated the problem. This is the one. The sign is supposed to be the same color as the doors.

Yes, Chile is amazing, beautiful and dangerous in some places...watch where you go.

dinner.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • @driftwood so you don't suggest if 90% of my footage is made with 7-14mm panasonic , high shutter speed (1/500 to 1/250) and higly detailed subject? is there a risk of fallback ? any alternative for this specific use? Thanks

• @peternap Yes because luma and chroma qualities of the fallback matrices are high set values enough to simply just work but produce poor returns.

Upload a grab which demonstrated the problem.

Chile is amazing! Atacama desert grabs up soon from Cluster v8 Boom!

• @cbrandin @driftwood Is the fallback responsible for the uneven color. In the frame I posted, the lights around the doors and the sign should be the same shade of red.

In post, bring up the red saturation got the doors where they should have been but had little effect on the sign.

Even with the fallback, it preforms very well under low light. I think Drewnet soft is better though.

• @peternap wide hi detail and data rate high could very force fallback hence why I stated Boom! is very experimental. It works well on closeups/midshots.

• @cbrandin Thanks Chris. That's a shame too but it is stretching that little processor pretty thin.

• 5th candidate Sorry....wrong thread.

1standard -2-2-2-2.png
    1280 x 720 - 954K
    1smooth -2-2-1-2.png
    1280 x 720 - 1006K
    2standard -2-2-1-2.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    2standard -2-2-1-2.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    2smooth -2-2-1-2.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • The only way to avoid it is to use settings that don't do it.

• thanks @cbrandin what causes this and how can it be avoided?

• Wow! I tried the new Drewnet v7 12/15 GOP, Sharp2 Matrix setting and the Red and Blue colours are popping... more Canon like which I appreciate. I think this patch has fixed the muddy look of the red and blue. No banding as far as I'm concerned. Tested on 64GB 45MB/s Sandisk Extreme Pro using HBR 1080i 25 with Minolta MD 28mm F/2. The noise is so clean, no macroblocking and has filmic grain at 12800 ISO

Sunset Colours.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 260K
    Black and White Ruins.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 367K
  • @maddx1930 - It happens when the codec runs out of bandwidth and has to use the fallback matrix, resulting in significantly reduced quality - not something you want to have happen. When bitrate (or frame size) suddenly drops a lot, that usually means that fallback mode has kicked in.

• @cbrandin what is fallback mode?

• @peternap - According to the StreamParser screenshot you posted it looks like Boom is going into fallback mode.

• NEW!!!

I released 5th candidate of following Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 AN.

bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 Candidate5 'Apocalypse Now' with cbrandin 'Pure Original 444 Matrix' and 'Modified 444 Matrix' - Setd.ini - Released 12/09/2012

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/84396#Comment_84396

While improving, I am going to develop this in my thread so that it may not become the obstacle of Nick. :-)

• The new Patch : Boom by Driftwood is very very Boom!

Thank you Driftwood!!

• First test with AN Boom was amazing yesterday. And rock solid with the 95mb/s 64GB Sandisk. In camera playback included!

Uploading a serious test this week.

Definetly AN is a game changing.

• Is boom safe enough for a feature shoot at 24p?

• @Cinexa Download Stream Parser. If you have Boom loaded, it should look something like this.

stream.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 773K
  • My footage is very noisy in lowlight If I shoot something like peternaps grab, I get banding and lots of noise. I was told to look at the time left on a card to determine if ou have h hack installed. I shw 14 minutes on a 16 gb sans disk 95 mb. I'm using nikkor ais lenses. My panny 14-42 is even noisier.

• I played with Boom some tonight and I think AN Drewnet soft handles low light colors better. 14-140 lens standard -2

dinner.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • NEW!!!

I released 4th candidate of following Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 AN.

bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 Candidate4 'Apocalypse Now' with cbrandin 'Pure Original 444 Matrix' and 'Modified 444 Matrix' - Setd.ini - Released 12/09/2012

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/84273#Comment_84273

While improving, I am going to develop this in my thread so that it may not become the obstacle of Nick. :-)

@MisterBink

Many thanks for your report! I am glad if you were satisfied. :-)

• @mlysbakken I do like Boom, but there's something magical about the 444 Smooth matrix. Nebula 444 Soft is my current favorite, but I'm really looking forward to an Intra variation.

• @Sangye No, but I believe it is getting released soon. The only intra setting right now is "Boom!", which uses a matrix by driftwood. Produces lovely results, by the way :)

• Getting confused by all of the lovely new AN settings! Are there any Intra settings publicly available with the 444 soft matrix?

• @driftwood Thank you so much, the Boom intra settings are beautiful. Just managed to play a little with an FD 50, FD 85 and an SLR Magic 12 lenses and the footage looks fantastic. I can see no banding anywhere, renders lovely detail, and the normally horribly noisy red channel looks great! Standard 0-0-0 -2 used it handheld, on a slider and on a tripod. Works with crappy Transcend class 10 cards (both 16GB and 32). Thanks again, can't wait to get to use this on a nice project!

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions