Personal View site logo
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • Wow! I tried the new Drewnet v7 12/15 GOP, Sharp2 Matrix setting and the Red and Blue colours are popping... more Canon like which I appreciate. I think this patch has fixed the muddy look of the red and blue. No banding as far as I'm concerned. Tested on 64GB 45MB/s Sandisk Extreme Pro using HBR 1080i 25 with Minolta MD 28mm F/2. The noise is so clean, no macroblocking and has filmic grain at 12800 ISO

Sunset Colours.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 260K
    Black and White Ruins.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 367K
  • thanks @cbrandin what causes this and how can it be avoided?

• The only way to avoid it is to use settings that don't do it.

• 5th candidate Sorry....wrong thread.

1standard -2-2-2-2.png
    1280 x 720 - 954K
    1smooth -2-2-1-2.png
    1280 x 720 - 1006K
    2standard -2-2-1-2.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    2standard -2-2-1-2.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    2smooth -2-2-1-2.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • @cbrandin Thanks Chris. That's a shame too but it is stretching that little processor pretty thin.

• @peternap wide hi detail and data rate high could very force fallback hence why I stated Boom! is very experimental. It works well on closeups/midshots.

• @cbrandin @driftwood Is the fallback responsible for the uneven color. In the frame I posted, the lights around the doors and the sign should be the same shade of red.

In post, bring up the red saturation got the doors where they should have been but had little effect on the sign.

Even with the fallback, it preforms very well under low light. I think Drewnet soft is better though.

• @peternap Yes because luma and chroma qualities of the fallback matrices are high set values enough to simply just work but produce poor returns.

Upload a grab which demonstrated the problem.

Chile is amazing! Atacama desert grabs up soon from Cluster v8 Boom!

• @driftwood so you don't suggest if 90% of my footage is made with 7-14mm panasonic , high shutter speed (1/500 to 1/250) and higly detailed subject? is there a risk of fallback ? any alternative for this specific use? Thanks

• @Driftwood Upload a grab which demonstrated the problem. This is the one. The sign is supposed to be the same color as the doors.

Yes, Chile is amazing, beautiful and dangerous in some places...watch where you go.

dinner.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • Dont forget 25P please :-) All the devs on this seems to be in NTSC land (USA, Japan)

• @zcream Actually @Driftwood is based in the U.K. It is just that the GH2 supports the 24H mode better than HBR (and many of the users are using HBR in NTSC so that gets talked about a lot). But there is no way to push the GH2 as far in HBR as in 24H (and that is just in terms of bitrate per second, not even accounting for the difference in data per frame).

• @driftwood - THe AN settings are really amazing. Thanks for all this and to the others who test and test... There's somehting of a hobby to all this and it's really fun. Vitaliy is like a father figure here for us all, looking out for "us". My first time getting involved in any sort of forum and it's a great experience.

THe Atacama is like the moon or mars in places, as you must be seeing. Hope you get up to the observatory there. Crikey! that's a life changer.

Bye for now.

• @peternap can you check you were defo filming in 24H mode when u experienced fallback as only L mode should produce that problem. L mode is not primed at all for flat 4s.

Thanks.

• When's IntraVenus coming out? :D

• Patch Boom L lens leica 50mm and Nikon 24mm Grading with After effects -2, -1, 0, 1

• @retrospective +1, I think they are holding IntraVenus for when the GH3 gets announce lol

• @HillTop1 when GH3 comes out we might not need anymore hacks :(

• @Driftwood can you check you were defo filming in 24H

I started to not check Nick. I never, absolutely never, shoot in L mode. But when Driftwood speaks, I listen, so I looked at my settings and sure enough, I had it in L.

Whoever said "You're not getting older, you're getting better"...didn't know what the hell they were talking about.

I'll reshoot it tonight. Thanks!

• @peternap Whew, that's good news!

• @mlysbakken The bad part is that I have to retest everything I've done with that camera lately....which is a lot. That'll teach me to look at ALL my settings.

I was getting annoyed with myself. I'd looked at Onionbrain's tests and they were great. He can take an I phone and make it look like a Red but I just couldn't figure out why mine were coming out so low quality.

• I just finished a shoot with my GH2 as "B" camera, using Driftwood Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now' - 6 GOP Nebula '444 Soft' - setd, and I'm not very impressed.

While the quality is fine, I was disappointed that the camera would stop recording several times with no warning, and apparently lose some of the files.

Here's the list of files on the card now:

00000.MTS 32.8 MB 00001.MTS 6.2 MB 00002.MTS 4.29 GB 00004.MTS 4.29 GB 00006.MTS 4.29 GB 00008.MTS 3.37 GB 00009.MTS 2.22 GB 00010.MTS 4.29 GB 00012.MTS 4.29 GB 00014.MTS 1.23 GB

What happened to files 3, 5, 7, 11 and 13?

Basically, I get around 6 minutes of recording before it stops silently. I simply start recording again. Camera settings as follows:

24P cinema -2, -2, -1, -2 Quality 24H Exposure mode M i.Dynamic Standard i.Resolution Standard Aperture 4.5 Shutter 1/50 Lens Olympus 75mm f1.8

I will upload one of the files to Vimeo as soon as I can to check quality, which I'm sure is fine.

I chose these settings because I thought they would span, and be stable. Was I wrong to expect that from this patch?

• @ahbleza No problems here. Many others have been good too.

• @ahbleza As I wrote before, I shot some tests and the recording lasted 37 and 48 min before I stop it myself. Beautiful and efficient spanning ! The only "main" difference with your settings is i.Dynamic OFF and i.Resolution OFF... And I shot these tests with the Pany 14-140 !

• @ahbleza BTW Is your card a 64GB 95mb/s extreme pro ?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions