Personal View site logo
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • @Mirrorkisser I don't even pretend to know the inner workings of these settings, which is why the advice from Driftwood, LPowell, Onionbrain, BKmcwd, Ralph_B and of course Vitaliy_Kiselev, is so important. Like the country folks here say "I just take pitchers".

The way I understand short vs long GOP is that there are theory's such as the need to cut exactly at the I frame (Long GOP) or Long not handling motion well because only the I frame contains the image data.

These arguments are highly debated.

Best thing to do is try them all and see what works best for you.

• Ok, I'm fairly impressed!

14-140 at 35mm, vibrant -2 all, 800iso

ProRes422 HQ output - first photo straight out of camera, second is 'corrected'

Screen Shot 2012-08-30 at 1.45.19 PM.png
    1917 x 1075 - 3M
    Screen Shot 2012-08-30 at 1.45.19 PM.png
    1917 x 1075 - 4M
  • Hmm, am I the only one who like the first photo straight out of the camera?!?

It looks much more cinematic to me somehow.

• @producer i think so too

• @producer Yea :) hence why I put corrected in hypens!

• Pardon for potentially ignorant question: Is "Apocalypse Now" an Intra hack? I've been using Mysteron hack for sometime and like the results very much - minimal, almost non-existent noise, minimal banding, smooth gradation. I'm wondering if anyone else uses Mysteron and how it compares to Apocalypse?

• Ok everybody, here it comes. Dumb fuck question, What Ptool are we using? 3.65 or 3.66 or does it matter. You see I have been reading and admiring and realized, hey stupid get into it. Be nice.

• @mastroiani I use Mysteron right often but only have about 80 low light clips and another 50 or so of Apocalypse Drewnet Sharp (when I should have been using Soft) My opinion FWIW, as good as Mysteron is, Apocalypse blows it away.

• @peternap thanks, do you mean that Mysteron is good for low light shots? Also, do you know if the Apocalypse is an INTRA hack like Mysteron?

• @mastroiani An intra hack is scheduled to come out sooner or later. Right now, there's GOP 3, 6, and 12/15 available. Some have the option of a soft (for Panny lenses) or sharp (other lenses, especially old ones) profile.

• Sorry for the newb question. But, will I be able to use a SanDisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC Class 10 / 45MB/s (SDSDX-032G-X46) card with this?

Or do I need to finally invest in this guy: SanDisk Extreme Pro 32 GB SDHC Class 10 / 95MB/s SDSDXPA-032G-X46

I ask because I'm about to purchase another card.

• Thanks Nick for going to the hard work for this test. Put it up against CM Night and liked the way the noise is rendered in this one much better. Appreciate all you've done for the GH2 community

• @thebmillz I use a cheapo 32gb scandisk class 10 and have no issues!

• @exilenorth Not a bad question. I didn't know what I was using. I looked and it appears to be 3.65. I didn't even know there was a 3.66.

@thebmillz In theory, in theory, DREWnet will work with these cards. I don't actually know as I don't actually have them. The main thing you need to know is that if you want the card that works with ALL settings -- then you need the 64gig version of the Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MBps SDXC card (and NOT the 32 gig version with the same name). Only the 64 gig version uses a file structure that handles the big stuff -- like the 150 Mbps intraframe settings from Driftwood.

• @bkmcwd : thank you for your reply. After reading your whole thread, i must say that i enjoy your work on the hack as much as your politeness and patience with the people who use your hack.

@peternap: Thanks for your reply. Its almost the same for me, i really need to look very long to see a difference. And then i am not sure i would spot it if i did not know it. I definitely lack technical experience there, although i worked in the tv and filmproduction for some time (there we always had professional editors or cameramen though, so i did not have to worry about technical details, just about aesthetic preferences :P)

I did not have any motion issues with cluster 6, also i liked flow motion 2.02 really a lot. Now i am trying cluster v7 nebula and bkmcwd's gop 3 patch and will also compare that with flow motion.

• thebmillz-> I've been using sandisk cl10 30mb cards for a long time now without ANY problems [using mostly Nick's intra patches in 24p/50p (with FD glass for the most part)]

• AN444 Nebular Sharp at Night. Zeiss 50mm 1.4 and Schneider Anamorphic. Most shots between f/2-4, ISO 160-640.

• @silvertonesx24 Nice job on that. What was your white balance setting?

• hey Guys Is that normal that i get a max bitrate of 24mb with the 6gob nebula??? It seems low... I'm i doing something wrong?

• @schprox Are you using 24P Cinema Mode set to 24H?

• @BlueBomberTurbo
    yes i on movie 24h...mediainfo tells me ax 24mb sec?? All videos in 24h are at 24mbsec and the 720p stuff is at 18mb... I need help!! thanks

• I am loving the 'Apocalypse Now' patch. Can't wait for the Cinema Smooth version.

• @ onionbrain Thanks! It was always set to AWB. It was pretty easy to CC it the way I wanted, either taking out the tungsten or adding to it.

• @schprox Try applying the hack again. I had an issue where I installed a hack, but for some reason, it didn't remove the time limit. 2nd time worked. Also, make sure it's not getting blended in with any other hacks in Ptool when creating the firmware.

• Just started with 'Apocalypse Now' DREWnet 444 sharp, Canon FD mount lenses and the lumix 14 to 45 mm. Cheap PNY 32gb, Class10, 35mb no problems. ZERO. I think I bought the card for 30 bucks or so..... Bitrates are considerably lower than anything I have used in the past. But the quality is certainly there. The Wizards continually out do themselves. Thanks gentlemen. I will post results as I wait for lower light here in the Bay Area. Hey, @onionbrain where you been?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions