Personal View site logo
Yes, and iPhone was also Sony idea :-)
  • 42 Replies sorted by
  • Apples or Oranges...different types of fruit.

I like Bananas myself :-)

• Bananas? There is always something better at a cheaper price. ALWAYS. It is too bad that most people purchase fruit names, not the fruits themselves.

:-)

• exactly...

• Just to add to the irony of it all, Kodak invented the digital camera but never persued it...

• Don't believe everything you read. Apple just released prototype pictures "proving" they had their design prior to Sony "unknown digital device"

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/30/3201162/apple-refutes-claim-they-cribbed-notes-from-sony-reveal-prototype

• @shian

It is a trial documents. As I believe Samsung, as they clearly stated that they could present internal designs and it was Sony inspired article and prototype that changed direction.
    As for Apple claims, all they did is that they found one design prototype, one out of thousands, and told that this was the real foundation.

• I don't know who to believe, I'm just saying. i just feel this is a pointless discussion because it seems anybody can fabricate "evidence" any time they like.

• This is really stupid. What in the hell else would a touch-screen device like this look like... a hexagon or a circle? It's a fucking rectangle with rounded corners and a speaker on it. Both the iphone and the sony device are not "designs"... they are just what a device without key-inputs looks like ... give me a break!

• http://www.electronista.com/articles/12/07/27/samsung.filing.claims.apple.copied.sony.for.iphone.design/ It appears that the "stolen" Sony design is actually an internal Apple idea of what phone Sony WOULD design. So despite the Sony logo, it's an Apple design.

Not to defend Apple, but Samsung's not on firm ground by any stretch.

• @Promit

I always advise to actually read the thing you are discussing :-)

• I'm pretty late to this, but this case is looking pretty dramatic. The Sony design was drawn by an Apple designer, but the idea was taken from a Sony designer. I don't think this is the most damning case against Apple, but the F700 incident should be raised.

Samsung missed the deadline to present this evidence which is why Judge Koh wouldn't allow it to appear in court (you'd think with an elite legal team, they at least get their shit in on time).

Apparently Apple was showing the jury various Samsung phones that were allegedly copying the iPhone. One of the phones was the Samsung F700 because it was rectangular, had rounded corners, a raised bezel, and a single multi-function button at the bottom. The only problem was that it pre-dated the iPhone and was already patented. So Apple thought "oh, shit" and removed it from future presentations. When Samsung wanted to bring in the designer of the F700 to testify, Apple said it wasn't relevant to the case and the judge agreed barring the designer from court. Apple says the F700 isn't relevant to the case, yet it put that very same phone on their presentations accusing Samsung of copying the iPhone.

Since the court barred this evidence from court, Samsung decided to spread it through the media landing in places like this forum. While this wasn't illegal. it pissed off Apple and Judge Koh. It seems Samsung needed the jurors to know about this at any cost.

Apple made the best product of its time, but none of their ideas were new. Now competitors have caught up and instead of increasing their specs or lowering their prices, they're trying to get competing phones banned from the market. I just can't get behind Apple on this one.

• What is amazing is that they borrowed, or swiped, or whatever, everything for many of their products, then turn around and sue people for "stealing" their ideas. Where would we be without the mouse? And Apple did not invent it. I mean, come on. Puhhhhleeeeeeze.

• @bwhitz Yeah, the design seems pretty intuitive. The success is because of the Apple culture. People already bought into an iPod so why not an iPhone and then why not an iPad, iCar, iHouse...

• imo, VISION and TIMING are the two things that set Apple apart from every other company and allowed them to change consumer electronics forever.

• I think the big thing they did is to promote compressed music, which is basically convincing the entire world to eat freeze-dried food. Yuck! Take me back to at least the level of CD tech from forty years ago. It would be a different world if they had decided to really make sure that musicians get some of the money from the frozen food that is sold. Sadly, only a fraction, if any, goes to the artists.

• To Apple lawyers:

"I mean come on. 75 pages! 75 pages! You want me to do an order on 75 pages, (and) unless you're smoking crack, you know these witnesses aren't going to be called when you have less than four hours," Koh said.

Via: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57494755-37/judge-says-apples-smoking-crack-with-giant-witness-list/