Personal View site logo
Shooting a documentary in Europe, need some help
  • Guys, I've posted here already a couple times about the documentary we are working on (called "Planet of Babel" http://tv.globalresearch.ca/2012/05/planet-babel-story-greatest-recession-trailer) We are in the midst of production cycle — been shooting for the last week in Spain and had a really great experience in working with the GH2 ppl there.

We are now going to Italy through France and then — Greece.

If you guys have time/ideas and enthusiasm please don't hesitate to contact our crew.

As our previous experience showed nobody knows the situation better than the folks on the ground.

What we are looking for are people's stories, characters, plots, stories which can tell us something new/unusual about the current crisis.

Use this chance!!!

You can reach me here or through ksyomin @ gmail.com

Peace to the GH2 world dwellers!

• 67 Replies sorted by
  • Economics seems to be a huge factor in this. Here's one point of view, which seems quite interesting -- deflation. A total collapse of debt, and therefore money supply.

• @ahbleza

I don't think that he meant this kind of help. :-)

• I'm shooting like crazy on another project but have been meaning to get up the road and get some interviews from the Quebec student strike. Let me know if you are interested or have that covered already -- and if I can find a weekend somehow between shoots I can knock it off.

• Or if you are interested in the topic, get in touch with this guys; great video

• @JDN Definitely interested. Might go to Canada as well in the coming months. Do get in touch and do make your own piece which we might use. Or (if you don't mind) just contribute the footage. But remember we are mostly interested in human stories (following 1-2 characters)... although franky it isn't really happening so far in my own work. One important angle to remember is the economy in general — not just cuts in education. Another — the global downfall of morality caused by the neoliberal ideologies and propaganda of globalization (hence the reference to Babylon tower). Cheerz

• Another — the global downfall of morality caused by the neoliberal ideologies and propaganda of globalization (hence the reference to Babylon tower).

I do not agree here. Globalization is quite natural thing. As for morality - people are not very far from animals. You don't need propaganda to lower it, it'll just naturally slide if people do not do anything creative (and, no, under creative I do not mean art, films or music).

• We should not lower ourself as being just another animalrace which happen to be more intelligent then others, neither should we think of ourselves as being ranked high above other forms of nature. Instead, we should use these extreme opinions in a Hegelian dialectic art of conversation. I think the same applies for globalization, to some this word expresser pure horror, others define it ast the system the world thrives by. Yet, it neither of these two...

• Okay, I support the cause and everything, but I saw something in your footage that just made me laugh out loud. A guy walks in front of the camera banging on a saucepan... He's wearing a Toronto Blue Jays shirt (a mere $30-40) with Jose Bautista printed on the back. For non-fans, Bautista is one of baseball's premiere hitters. According to several sources, he recently signed a 5-year US$65 million contract. He's only 30ish, so he stands a good chance of getting at least that again at the end of the current contract. Now, I don't begrudge Jose his money, but who the f**k are we kidding here about morality?

• @Ruub @sherwood

This is topic for guys who could help with shooting. Not to discuss politics.

• I'll reply because it answers @GOODEMPIRE 's question, although sorts gets at @sherwood @Ruub too. Education is just the point of fracture but what is happening is about something much bigger, namely a generation waking up to realize, around the world, they've been sold out by another one that used the entire world as a piggy bank, exploited all its resources, did nothing to solve any problems, and now is trying to destroy the world for anyone under 50 so that they can retire safely and drop dead of a heart attack on a golf course somewhere.

• Which isn't to say there are not monied interests really driving things. But the biggest ally of those interests is the baby boomers who are willing to ally with anyone who will let them scorch the earth at everyone else's expense.

• @JDN

I already said that this is not free discussions topic.
    I am sure guys are quite sad looking at all this instead of help offers.

I'll clear this topic soon to leave only necessary things.

• If it can help you this is a website for the french tv news in english : http://www.france24.com/en/france there's a link in the right to streaming TV in english too .Actually in the news the car factory PSA (peugeot) is closing factorys in France and is building factory in cheaper country ,around 8000 jobs will be directly lost and many more in society producing parts for them .You can look at the arcelor/Mittal steel factory too the indian industrial Mittal bought the factory and close them soon after (best way to kill the concurrence i think) Good luck for your report

• I'm not living there now, but I'm sure you can find some interesting stories in Emilia Romagna in Italy, where a earthquake, two monts ago, have make worst the already bad situation for the crisis.

• Hello everyone, I lived on Paris as video-cutter, so after one month I worked with "Les Indignés" (=Occupy Wall Street in France), the life/my heart has brought me to a mountain in the south where I discovered an alternative way of life. I just spent 8 months in 4 communities autonomous(there are a lot of more...), totaly different each others... So I'd like to go back their to show viewers the new way of life, sharing more, with less needs, replacing the radio by live music, buying by constructing more bio and efficient, new agriculture: the permaculture, new way of education helping each others understanding more instead of the competition... All of that from west to east in France everywhere, the new world is growing.

• .. so i got a GF2, a tripod... ;)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev There always have been different concepts of globalization. The Christian one, the Communist one, the Capitalist one. I believe what we are seeing now is the latter (the one claiming that humans are in fact animals) falling apart. I also tend to believe people are not animals even if they are pushed downwards on the ladder of evolution.

back to Moscow after 22 days of shooting. planning, recuperating, recharging batteries. broke 1 lens, seriously damaged my Nikon (which proved to be a really good camera). Really really sad.

I need to admit we had to abandon our initial (no experts, only watching ordinary people) approach. Too much time is needed for that. Plus, we are experiencing tremendous difficulties when working in I-dont-speak-English countries. This is where PV people came to our rescue.

Would be cool to find sympathizers in Greece (for late August). Also, I heard today that despite all the healthy look Germany has gone through serious deindustrialization. Hints, idea? After what I've seen I'm starting to believe that deindustrialization (green energy, WTO and other crap) is going to cause very severe pain in Europe and the US in the nearby future.

I'm also looking into Goldman Sachs role in what's happening. Was stunned to learn that while the last remaining state mines in Spain are dying out, Goldman Sachs is beginning to ship coal to Europe from Colombia. Because they see the profit. WTF!?

• I believe what we are seeing now is the latter (the one claiming that humans are in fact animals) falling apart. I also tend to believe people are not animals even if they are pushed downwards on the ladder of evolution.

I think exactly reverse. That we are going to see animal side of people.
    As soon as resources and life quality will be dropping it'll happen for certain.

Was stunned to learn that while the last remaining state mines in Spain are dying out, Goldman Sachs is beginning to ship coal to Europe from Colombia.

Nothing surprising. I am just not sure that it is completely true. Most probably state mines have something that require big goverment spending, may be some pension money or some financing.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I don't see a contradiction here. Capitalism is pushing people to act as animals. And hence they do. Especially when markets go bust. But at the brink of survival, facing complete annihilation people should (can't prove it, can only believe in that) somehow stop and reject this social darvinism. This is what actually happened in 1945. Now the time is rewinded and the bomb is loaded again.

• I doubt that it is capitalism.

Most of the positive changes that we saw in 20th century are attributed to science, resources and cheap energy.

Right now population became very big and resources become harder and harder to get, as well as energy.

Most people thing very positive still because all mass media very elegantly block information how huge number of people live actually.

• Are visiting the Netherlands?

• If so contact me @ hello@sicovdplas.com

• @sicovdplas Is it worth visiting?

• Depends, netherlands is undergoing some major changes, maybe not as harsh as other countries but i can most likely give u a story.

• As plain as it is, the normal average hard worker is gonna pay the bill of the bankers.

I've been raised the right way and got some people here that might wanne work on this aswell, one works as a artist (painter) but also as a designer for underground movements and activists and me myself as a cinematographer and i have a vision of my own and of the country i am born and raised.