Personal View site logo
GH2 Flow Motion v2 - 100Mbps Fast Action Performance & Reliability for Class 10 SD cards
  • 1036 Replies sorted by
  • Here is an example of post production color grading of a Flow Motion v2 video. It was shot in 1080p 24H 80% Slow-Motion mode using a Sigma 70-20mm f2.8 zoom lens. Exposure was adjusted at the time of shooting to flatten the contrast ratio in order to facilitate color correction:

Here are results after color grading in Adobe After Effects CS5.5. The video then conformed to 1080p30 and rendered to H.264 at 50Mbps. Both original and corrected video files are available for download at their Vimeo pages.

I've uploaded additional sample footage and commentary in the first four posts of this thread:

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/3337/gh2-flow-motion-v2.01-update-failsafe-hbr-720p-modes/p1

• Great setting Lee - thank you!

• Lee, I like it when you go AWOL from PV. Every time you do I know there is something good "cooking" in San Fran. Awesome work on closing the gap on the 24p vs HBR differences and in PAL as well, mate this is as big as the Golden Gate Bridge turning 75yo! Truly I cannot visually see the difference between these two and 24p was the benchmark.

Only downside, now I have the urge to buy more lenses..lol.

Thanks for the many hours spent on this and the professional way you present it.

Cheers R

UPDATE > The extended ISO levels box is UNTICKED in the new V2.01 so people will still need to enable that in Ptools before patching the FW.

• @towi - "Good HBR settings should be indiscernible from 24p in usual shooting scenarios."

Thanks again for your interest in Flow Motion v2. Have you had a chance to check out the 24H vs HBR comparison footage I uploaded in the third post of this thread? To my eyes, the still image details look virtually indistinguishable.

• @5min

"well, it was not the solution, apologies"

No trouble at all! It's always good to see people trying to find intelligent solutions. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't … that's fine as we all learn from it. And that's what I like about internet forums in general…

"With FM2, I've found that an HBR footage re-encapsulated as progressive has virtually the same image quality than a 24p footage"

Good HBR settings should be indiscernible from 24p in usual shooting scenarios. The higher bitrate and better quantization of 24p only comes into play in dark tonal values and in lowlight scenarios (especially tungsten lit scenes).

@LPowell

Many thanks for the update! I'm not sure whether or not lowering the Frame Limit is the way to go… however, I'll try your updated version soon. Thanks again!

• @LPowell will do more tests tomorrow.

• @LPowell Looking forward to testing 2.01 and thanks for including my audio settings!

If I already said that, bear with me - it has been a really busy week. :)

• @Gerald I'm curious as to how the camera would have trouble in H mode, since its bitrate is limited to less than 60Mbps. It would help if you could post more details about your testing conditions and in what manner it fails. I would also be interested to examine a short SH or H mode video that did record successfully.

• dunno why, but on my PAL gh2 with Lumix 14mm 2.5 and 14-140, FL2.01 720p50 will crash in SH and in H modus. With fresh formated sandisk 64gb 95mb/s and with all settings manual. Even with resetting all settings. Going back to "seaquake" everything works fine H & SH. Then FW1.0->1.1->FL2.01 and card-speed-freeze happen again.

• GH2 Flow Motion v2.01 Update

This update addresses reliability issues with HBR, FSH, and SH video modes in both NTSC and PAL. It has been successfully tested for failsafe operation under all shooting conditions and options, including 80% Slow Motion and ETC zoom modes. The stability adjustments in Flow Motion v2.01 should produce little or no visible reduction in motion picture quality in any of the updated video modes.

In response to numerous requests, I've enabled and verified reliable operation of Flow Motion v2.01 with extended ISO levels. By default, all levels up through ISO 12500 may now be selected for use with any NTSC or PAL video mode. In practice, however, levels above ISO 3200 produce considerable noise, which may require excessive bitrate and perceptibly reduce motion picture quality compared to lower ISO levels.

Download the Flow Motion v2.01 Update at the following link:

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/3337/gh2-flow-motion-v2.01-update-failsafe-hbr-720p-modes/p1

• I just tested it to see how low a card I could go. A 16 gig 15mb card wouldn't start. A 16 gig 45 mb card spanned for 22 minutes in 720-60 before filling the card, but wouldn't span in 24P. Same thing with a 64 gig 95 mb card.

All Sandisk

One odd thing. As a rule things look a little better one tick to the right. FM2.1 gave a blue tint therebut was near perfect (as perfect as the GH2 can be out of the camera) at dead center.

All smooth -2

lilly.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 476K
  • @LPowell what did you exactly change from FM2.0 to FM2.01?

As I want to use it with no Panasonic lens (Olympus 4/3) and with no AF - which both seem to put more load on the codec/cpu. Card is Sandisk 30MB/s. Will FM2.0 work or should I use 2.01? Is the picture quality lower with FM2.01?

And thanks for your great work!

• FM 2.01 tested with HBR and SH, PAL, Panasonic 14-140, Sandisk 32MB 30mb/s, high detail ultra bight scene in nature : no more problems, all went flawlessly!!! Cool! Thank you @Lpowell, FM is now, dare I say, perfect :-)

• @Zaven13 Thanks for your test report. I'll confess that I've never actually tried shooting video in Intelligent Auto mode before. As you found, Flow Motion v2.01 can fail under Intelligent Auto when used in SH mode. However, the patch does appear to work reliably under Intelligent Auto in 720p H mode, and produces bitrates comparable to your personal modifications, which have the drawback of degrading the bitrates of 1080p HBR and FSH modes as well. For users who find Intelligent Auto useful for 720p videos, I'd recommend the workaround of using 720p H mode instead of SH mode for this purpose.

• @Zaven13 ok,thanks for the detailed info. It helps to understand and improve. I have not tested it with the pansonic lenses yet, but its quite possible this to be reason.

• @Luxis. I use two SD class 10 cards, Genuine Sandisk Extreme HD 32GB 30mb/s and Genuine Transcend SDXC 64GB. I only use Panasonic lenses for GH2, 14-140mm, pancake and 100-300mm. The scene is nature (trees, flowers in the sunlight). I tried Intelligent Auto (IA) mode and Nature setting that comes with camera and sets the various values for you. I think one of the factors effecting is the Panasonic lenses that do continuous zoom in AFC mode and OIS on. 720p H mode works fine. It is the SH mode that fails. I have found out the the limit before it fails with write error is 55 MB/s. Once details get higher and it gets close to 60MB, it fails. The way I have gotten around it in FM2.0 is to reduce the bitrate for 720p/1080 from 99/55 to 77/55 along with associated top and bottom bitrate settings. This modification keeps the SH mode to approximately 55MB therefore avoiding the write errors. I have read that others have no issues using other lenses but Panasonic lenses seem to put more stress on the sensor.

• Has anyone been editing FL2 footage, native -- particularly 24p? If so, what kind of performance are you getting, compared either to stock or intra, and on what system? Thanks.

• Tested FM2.01 in 720p60 SH mode with Sandisk Extreme 65GB 95mb/s...all good now! even etc mode is fine. 14-140 kit lens Iso 320 ....no card write errors this time..Yea!

Thanks @LPowell !

• @Zaven13 it failed with: what lens, shutter speed, iso,what scene/context,etc? are your cards genuine? have tried with another card with the same speed if you have one? also i have noticed sometimes some cards perform better in terms of storage size 16gb vs 8gb vs 64 vs 32...for different patch settings

• @LPowell. I just tested FM2.01 in 720p60 SH mode with Sandisk Extreme 32GB 30mb/s and it failed with write errors.

• Thanks Lee!

• Fantastic! Thank you for this quick update. I will try it ASPA! Your samples are impressive. With FM2, I've found that an HBR footage re-encapsulated as progressive has virtually the same image quality than a 24p footage.

• @wigginjs Regardless of which patch you install, HBR mode is always a progressively-scanned version of FSH mode. Flow Motion v2 supports 4GB file-spanning in HBR mode only with 95MB/sec Class 10 SD cards. File-spanning is also supported in 24L, FH, and H modes with standard Class 10 cards rated 30MB/sec or faster.

• @LPowell Thanks for the update ! I will try this with my 64g/95 card today. I will post later with results.

• @LPowell Thanks Lee! Does HBR inherit from FSH or FH? Is HBR spanning supported on this new patch on 30MB/s Class 10 cards?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions