Personal View site logo
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • I'm sure you did, I'll watch again. Thanks.

• Pete - did I not cover enough in Tutorial #5?

let me know

• shian -

Can you explain in a little more detail how you incorporate QT Pro into your workflow? I got QT Pro, I'm not sure where it goes in the chain.

BTW, thanks so much for the Film School! It came at a perfect time for me!

• @Mark_the_Harp Thank you so much! Just finished the tech grade on an 11 minute short in Color Finesse and about to do the creative pass with CGT. CGT is the best film purchase since the GH2

• @tcarretti yup. But the $30 you spend on QT Pro is well worth it. It does an amazing job at compressing for the web. It has been my "go to" compressor for years.

But do a test, render out of AFX using the vimeo preset, and compare it to handbrake and QT Pro, you may not need the extra step... like with anything else... don't take my word for it.

• @shian,

Thanks so much. I guess I was assuming that I would be round tripping from PP to AE and back to PP again. So basically, if I get this correctly you would:

Edit in Premiere - meaning hard cuts, audio finalization, titling. Grade footage in AE, bring in PNG converted titles matching frame rate to footage. Render final edit from AE (in my case DNxHD linear off, since I'm on a PC...) Convert to mp4 ( I could use Handbrake I guess...)

Does that sound about right?

Tony

• I'd try exporting the titles to a PNG sequence, then import that sequence into the AFX file you already did your grade in. (make sure that you conform them to the proper frame rate, AFX imports image sequences at 30fps default unless you tell it differently. Goto preferences> import > and change the frame rate from 30 to 24 (I'm assuming - see attached image)

Lay the PNG sequence over top your grade, either in the comp you did the grade in, or pre-comp everything and lay the sequence over top that pre-comp. And export. (I only use the vimeo preset for stuff I don't care about. All high end stuff goes out to QT Pro via 444 linear off, and then from there to mp4 at 11000 kps)

Screen Shot 2012-05-18 at 9.57.48 AM.png
    829 x 593 - 53K
  • @shian,

I have a question. I posted a camera test yesterday of ungraded footage. Last night I imported the PPro project into AE to give it the ColorGhear magic. Since AE won't bring in titles from PPro, I took them out figuring that I would just bring in the rendered DNxHD footage back to PPro for the final encoding to mp4.

Well, the file that AE generated was about 6.5gb. When I imported it back into PPro it choked it so bad I could do nothing. Is there a file size limit in Premiere that you're aware of?

Anyway, I guess I'll try re-importing the project into AE along with the audio and then do the titling there as well. Then I'll export using your Vimeo preset.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I don't think it's my computer because it's an i7, 16gb ram and Nvidia graphics card, if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Tony

• @chauncy this should answer your question. But simplified, 50 and 60 for your shutter speed depending on the frame rate should cover it.

Here in the North America shooting 24p a shutter of 60 should fix the flicker In Europe shooting 24 at 50 should do it. You shouldn't get any flicker shooting PAL, but as I've never shot there, I don't know for sure (from experience)

http://www.cinematography.net/edited-pages/50-60_htz_Flicker.htm

But that's what your lab is for....experiment and find out. Id experiment with it here, but I don't have the right power configuration to test it.

• @shian These videos are really helpful. Extremely well done, thank you sir.

• @artiswar Love your videos. Engaging, beautifully edited.

• ok. I'll see what I can do.... Sorry, it was working for me as an admin, but apparently doesn't want to work for everyone else. I'm starting to not like wordpress.

• @shain

when I try to click on the forum topic you created it takes me to a page saying "Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here."

Also, on the forum page it says at the bottom "You must be logged in to create new topics." but I already am logged in, I made sure of that.

• What happens when you try to access the forum?

• the forum doesn't yet work.

Can you please discuss light flicker some. I know you threw in to use 1/60 shutter speed when shooting 24p under flourescent lights. But that's in the US right? What do f. lights flicker at in europe? What about other types of light? In both US and europe. What shutter speed with 24p? With 25p? For which type of light?

I find this confusing. Thanks

• Thanks Shaian! Lots to absorb but I review the tutorials every day.

• film school is looking great thank you very much man! appreciated!

• @redbaron - GHrain Killer tweaked the way I discussed in the Grain tutorial.

• Okay, all the basic tutorials are up in the Film School section, part 2 of the contrast and metering lessons are coming tonight and tomorrow. The Ansel Adams and Intensity tutorials are still in production. The forum is live, but its kinda ugly, I should have the redesign of the site done before June, which will fix many things including all the bad javascript when it comes to logging in. (EDIT - forum is down until further notice...not working correctly)

Learn, enjoy, experiment!

Also, a quick note, I found some MAJOR funkiness with the GH2 in-camera meter while shooting the new dynamic range tests, I know this will likely re-ignite the whole which is the best film mode argument, but this test is a hell of a lot more objective than, "this is the one I like the best"

http://colorghear.com/tutorials/film-school/ (keep in mind, the "login" script is broken, you have to use the "member login" menu item.)

• Whats the best way to achieve a diffusion look? Glow, blur luminance?

• @shian And the most recent paid gig. From a local new agey money advisement center.

• @shian Another piece graded with your help. had to interpret color bars and tone from broadcast in a unique and meaningful way.

• I'll be going through all the film school stuff. Thank you.

• @shian now I got it to work. I had to reboot, delete old modules and then re-load them. Thanks.

• Did u import the output module settings .aom like in the video? #5

If so, U might have to do it again. I've never seen this problem before on any system or version of AE, I'm assuming you've restarted AE and your system since the install...

Also might. Want to move this to PM to save thread space.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions