Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • @GH3 i had the same issue on "Singularity" the addendum tutorial will show you how I solved it.

• I created a vimeo group to share your triumphant ColorGHear videos when you feel ready to show them off to the public. Join if you feel so inclined. http://vimeo.com/groups/colorghear

• More tutorials please :)

• Just ordered my copy. ColorGHear looks like an awesome tool and at that price is a total steal!

• Stoked to be included on the channel. Hopefully I'll have some actual content to contribute. Little skate video should be up in the next few days as well as a new short "Elliot" that's waiting to get it's creative grade.

• Thanks guys. It only gets better from here.

Took my car rig out for a test drive...literally. Took along the GH2 loaded with @driftwood quantum v9b.

Download the MP4 to see the true quality.

The raw form of this footage will be available to users for download to play with.

• @shian, most of that looked awesome, especially the shots looking up at the trees from I'm guessing the roof of the car. The shots looking straight out from the hood had some major stabilizer funkiness though - was it harder to get smooth shots from that position? Anyway, like I said, the roof shots and also the driver side & wheel shots looked rock solid, very nice.

• @Oedipax actually the tree stuff was on the hood, I just angled up from where I shot the clean front view stuff. The whole thing was just jello, though, considering how bad the raw is, AE did a decent job of smoothing it out. Except for the driving shots through the window, I had to track those by hand. I have to say I'm not as impressed with the warp stabilizer as I had hoped to be. I'm sure with global shutter cams, it kicks ass, but the jello just gives it fits.

• Wow, interesting. The only shots where it was obvious to me at all were the front-facing ones, but those were really obvious! Especially the way it adjusts the frame size dynamically, there's something really disorienting about it. I could actually see that being used productively for the right kind of shot, kind of like the old dolly-in/zoom-out move from Hitchcock.

• Here's some footage from an creative commons gathering shot with Quantum 9b and graded with ColorGHear

• hey i just buyed ghgears will see how it turns outs :) probably gonna ask lots of questions haha be patient! anyway thanks for this great tool. cheers!

• @shian : Nice! Micmacs?

• @redbaron very nice. What did the raw look like?

@duartix Nope, mostly ColorFist and and Warm Gradient, with CineGhamma and Spectral. I actually toyed with mapping the shadows red, but everything looked sooooooooo artificial.

@sebasp1 I found that look you want - a quick version is to add the following adjustment layers (in order bottom to top) Grunge, shadow lift, toner, and CF Tony Scott. You might have to boost the lift by setting blacks to -.0800, dial the toner back a bit, but that should give you a start. Play with the Tony Scott hue offsets, play with adding a mild light leak over the top and mixing it down. (Keep in mind, all that footage in that example you sent me was overcast. It likely won't work the same on hard light sources)

• http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/the-scitech-award-goes-to-the-lowry-process

Congrats to all my former co-workers, the development team, and my mentor John Lowry (RIP) It's been a long time coming. I'd like to claim I was part of the process, but these guys had it all figured out long before I came to work for them, they are true pioneers and much deserving of the Academy Award.

• @shian Here is a before and after color grade:

BEFORE

AFTER

• Question regarding AE (I am a noob so apologies in advance): Is it normal that the footage plays below 24fps before I've even applied any effects or made any changes? I find this very odd as I am running an i7 4.2Ghz with 6GB of RAM and a GTX295 graphics card. AE is installed on an SSD drive. I know this is not a turbo system but I never expected it to be soooooooooooooo sluggish. Perhaps I've overlooked something or there is a quick tweak to remedy. I would appreciate any advice as I just can't work like this.

• @redbaron Very Nice!

@spacewig Are you using the RAM preview, or the space bar? AE will not playback normally with the spacebar, you need to use RAM preview, and it helps to drop the playback quality to half or less, also check and see how much memory you have allocated to AE, and use the disk cache if you have enough HD space to allocated some virtual memory. And check that the RAM preview settings are set to 23.976 or whatever frame rate you wish. Also, even with 6GB of ram, I would close everything else you have running. I always run AE by itself so I have my full system resources available.

• Upgrade to 16GB if you can. I'm stuck with 8GB. Yeap it's slow even without RAM preview. Yeap I wanna apply minimal color grading.

• .. and I thought 24GB of RAM is just wasting money.. now I see it's not :) Preview runs smooth as hell with ColorGHear.. + it's pretty damn nice for 3D simulations. Just year ago I did work on 4GB ram laptop in 3Ds Max.. now I can see the difference..

(btw. the Nvidia GTX 590 helps A LOT. It's running all GPU only..)

• I only have 8GB, and I do just fine. My laptop only has 3, and I still make it work. More RAM won't help you much in FCP or Premiere, but with AE and all the 3D graphic programs, RAM is king, (your GPU is queen). The more you have, the faster your machine performs.

• 'I'm in'. :) Will start on this like white on rice next week. Today is the last day to get ColorGHear at 50% off just a reminder.

• Go for 8gb. No brainer. Watch youtube how-to.

• Just purchased and looking forward to firing up AE when I get home. Might have to buy a new PC tho as AE takes a week to load. What swung it for me is the quality of @shian's work and what people have said about the tutorials which will be great for me as I've only used AE in a limited way. Can't wait!

• Hopefully I can spend the upgrade money on AE CS6. Color Finesse might be replaced by SpeedGrade. Hopefully faster overall performance.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions