Personal View site logo
Zacuto 'Revenge of Great Camera Shootout,' featuring GH2
  • 261 Replies sorted by
  • @TrackZillas

That's pretty much what I thought the first time I looked at my first 10 seconds of unhacked GH2 footage in 2010 . I realized that the camera was no longer the limiting factor.

I'm not especially excited about the GH3, how much better can it be?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev well said VK.. you are a visionary to have foreseen what the GH2 could be & now is. Thank you for all your work.

• now it will all go back to talent.

Good note.

Best idea is just look at all this shootouts as fun thing.

• My thing is if you can't shoot quality images with the GH2 than don't even try with other high end cameras cause you will get the same results. For them to even put the GH2 up there with 60K + cameras says a lot, now it will all go back to talent. One more thing let's stop with the 8bit 4:2:0 talk it's limiting I know that, but can't stop you from creating quality content. I will be going to the Boston June 13th Screening anybody going? Let me know so we can meet-up..

• Wow. They started it in April and the release is planned for mid June. Zacuto must admit that they're producing web-shows, not tests or shootouts. Kinda fun to watch, but I'd be glad should they cut the crap - all those invited cinebiz celebrities with their "precious" opinions and other blabla - and rather include 5D Mark3 and newer Nikons that they missed. I'm for better SNR, more actual tests - less jibber-jabber.

• Sold my old 7D for $1200, and some other equipment for another $500. Picked up a new GH2 and new Voigtländer 25mm f/0.95 for $1700 combined. At no additional expense, the quality of my output went up massively. I feel a little bad for the guy that bought my 7D. But he's mostly a photographer, which does makes the 7D an attractive option, I guess.

Back to the shootout, I can't wait to see it. I'm most excited to see the GH2 and the F65 footage, in relation to the Epic and Alexa. I expect the F65 to revolutionize high-end Hollywood production, while the GH2 revolutionizes low-budget and independent filmmaking.

• "But...I just want to shove this in my myopic Canon-ite friends faces. "SEE??? Now never bring up your 7D...ever again.... In fact, see if someone's dumb enough to buy it off you, and use the money to buy a GH2.""

+1 I'm sick of having to keep my dumb 7D around for these random jobs that request it...

• shit nevermind, someone already posted it..... my bad, I didn't catch that it till just now.

But...I just want to shove this in my myopic Canon-ite friends faces. "SEE??? Now never bring up your 7D...ever again.... In fact, see if someone's dumb enough to buy it off you, and use the money to buy a GH2."

• "They are already whining over at reduser.net! ....grabbing popcorn" LOL, me too..

• Well, everyone here has seen what hacked GH2 can do in terms of res (and my congrats to Vitaliy and Driftwood once more!) but come on... If i only see any GH3 gradable flat footage anytime i can even think of it but as long as it happens...hhmmm...i cannot believe GH2 is in third position for any human being above Red EPIC for instance.

• As for the famous filmmaker, it would be VERY wrong and unfair for anyone to spoil what Steve will probably show in his shootout. Won't get a peep out of me, and Steve has already teased it on another forum, anyway.

Watch for the shootout, it's a good one. I love hearing how people are reacting to it, I think Steve's done something special (one way or another).

• I like how Andrew pulls quotes from other people/forums (PV) and forces them into this other guys post.

Seriously...

• They are already whining over at reduser.net! ....grabbing popcorn

• I'm personally really interested to hear opinions on the F65. On paper, its a very cool machine, and would seem to kinda be in a whole new league.

• At least in one preview, the GH2 is sitting in the top three.... with Quantum v9B.

• @NickBen

A couple of my buds on that shoot as well as the Zacuto shoot, in fact I still have Jonny's 28mm Nikkor. He has yet to reclaim it from me. I haven't seen him since he left for that shoot.

• I think my favourite aspect of this shootout is the premise that is a rather refreshing change. No camera is the best but it is the craft that is required to get the best out of a camera that is important.

• @mpgxsvcd They used a hacked GH2 running Quantum v9b.

• So did they not do the unhacked GH2? Would have been cool to see the difference. Do any of the cameras besides the GH2 do Continuous Auto Focus during video?

I guess we can only assume that this was pre version 1.1 hackable cameras, right?

• GH2 finally getting respect.

• @jrd

I've been hearing the same thing come from nearly every single screening. And, that fellow in the link up there (HDVider) is echoing similar thoughts about the F65 and GH2 comparison to others that I've talked to.

Sorta sad that I haven't been able to see it yet, but still.

• Really looking forward to seeing this. Just the fact that they included the GH2 in such company is pretty cool.

• @kholi

The audience at my screening was floored by the GH2.

• I was the one that prepared Colt for the GH2 segment of Zacuto's shootout.

They used Quantum V9B, Sandisk 64GB Cards, more than likely Smooth or standard dialed all the way down, etc.

I sent a pretty simple to follow "check list" of things to do when you shoot, including the ISO bug etc. After reports back from various people that I know that have seen it, the GH2 was done justice and went beyond expectations in a way that made a certain very famous filmmaker pick it as his choice of image.

Personally, I can't wait to see the results.

• V9b was no slouch, imo...