Personal View site logo
12mm f/1.6 Noktor
  • 739 Replies sorted by
  • @jo447 nice video thanks!

What were your aperture settings? Did you shoot at widest 1.6 or stopped it down to 2.0 - 4.0? What recording mode did you use: cinema or nostalgic or standard or else? my experience was that in the range of 1.6-2.0 aperture with GH2's cinema mode (-2,-2,-2,-1) 24p the details were too much blurry in sunny days (no nd filter as well). Used Driftwood's patch at 176mbs. My test footage was actually looking as if it was shot at lower resolution and showing strong chromatic abberations, the image quality was similar to cheap camcorder/smartphone. my consideration was that I was doing at wrong camera settings, aperture/exposure. I believe I have to increase sharpness settings up to 0 or +2, may be changing from cinema to nostalgic or standard recording mode, stopping down aperture to 8, adding ND filter during sunny days might be a plus as well. Please inform about your suggestions.

If I do not succeed with other settings, could it be due to defective lens?

• Hi HillTop1, that's good news, I might get a free lens if everybody say that!!! :D I don't know if they are still in back orders. But I would say it takes around 1 month to get the lens after you order it directly from the manufacturer.

• @jo447, your video might actually make me buy this lens. I wonder what's the ETA time when I order this lens from SLR magic in the US.

• @stonebat: Thanks, there was no color correction applied in post. Only a denoiser filter (starting at the starbucks section)

@Crazypete: Thanks, the fireworks looks really good with this lens (it actually looks pretty good without camera as well). The music is from ewan dobson. It's a great lens. It's a good addition to my voigtlander 25mm

• When you are in a cramped hotel room, you are reminded it's only a 24 on a full frame, but either you can work it or not! Lovelly sharpness, colors (I bleached this out as requested) and build quality like from the 70-ties! An absolute YES to this lens, even if Oly 9-18 would have done a better job. I bought this one for me :)

• please click on the linkas embedding does not work

• It is, offcourse sharper than most my FDs.

• Sorry, forgot to share my first opportunity to use this lens: it's exactl(e)ly what I thought - bitchy, flary lens with a personality :) I could have gotten an Oly 9-18 for much better results, but I was selfish. All in all, a great lens for the price!

• @fosterchen

Got a couple of these - thin and sturdy enough to hold a Kood 77m WA hood + LCW Fader ND

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200696126710?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

• @jo447 The ending to your video is particularly terrific - the fireworks look spectacular and the way the light reflects off of the people in the scene... I really liked it. What was the music?

• @jo447 Good work. That's exactly what the fast wide angle lens is for. That's OOC color?

• Now that I have the lens again with all elements intact, I'm looking for the right 58-77mm step up ring to use for filters..anyone have suggestions and what they're using?

• Hey, I made a small video with this lens. You can see here :

I used a hacked GH2, no filters, I applied a noise reduction filter in post for the second half of the video

• @Ptchaw Re: distortion see Seb Farges video above.. the tilts at 0:44-0:47.. You won't notice anything wierd on a still because there are no points of reference! If you think about how extreme the OLY distortion is (uncorrected) it is not hard to understand why these things happen, and why the SLR Magic would be easier to try and correct in post.

On the OLY, extremes resolution is 30-20% lower than centre (30 wide open up to ) from wide open up to 5.6, when it starts to even out slightly more. Extremes and border resolution is pretty similar for this lens - troughout - the only exception is wide open when the extremes suffer quite a bit more than border resolution. On the SLR Magic, extremes resolution is 40-30% lower than centre in the extremes (40 wide open up to f4) whereas border resolution is in-between 5-10% of centre sharpness troughout the entire range. If you crop the image (to 2.35:1 for instance), you will loose the extremes alltogether.

The differences in construction is clear - slr magic sacrifice a lot in the corners and little in the borders whereas OLY sacrifice borders and corners troughout for centre sharpness - where you get about a 5% increase in resolution compared to the SLR Magic. I would hardly make that out to be such a massive difference as you describe. (tack sharp vs. super soft out wide)

I'd avoid both in instances where I want things (in focus) happening in left and right edges of the frame.

Then you talk about how you cannot shoot the SLR magic wide open.. well - the OLY starts from f2 not f1.6. Stopping down a faster lens to avoid flares cannot really be a problem in comparison to a slower lens - unless you need to stop down a lot - which you don't! It evens up already at f2-f2.8!

How these two work for stills photography is a different matter alltogether.

• @RRRR http://www.photozone.de/images/8Reviews/lenses/olympus_12_2/12mm_distortion.png doesn't look weird to me!

It's not fair to say that neither of them is unusable in the corners; the Oly is almost tack sharp, even wide open and resolves more than enough for 1080p, the SLR Magic is just a blur at f/2.

Of course the SLR magic is fine for flaring stopped down, but so is any lens! My point is, wide open shooting into a light source it is totally unusable, where the Oly degrades elegantly; many shots on the Oly would simply not be possible on the SLR Magic. Considering the margin between the two lenses has come down a lot, it's quite a heavy IQ sacrifice for a smooth aperture and apertures that you'd ideally avoid shooting at anyway.

• @Ptchaw, not true! The image looks wierd, the software compensation is not the same as the image created by optics.. Panning / movement at the edges of the frame looks bad as a result. You can't correct a fisheye lens without some wierd stuff starting to happen, for instance.

Don't use the SLR magic if you want to put sharp / highly detailed objects in corners. Don't use either of them. Use a 25-50mm (50-100 ff equivalent) lens and step back instead.

Flaring is virtually non-existent on the SLR magic unless wide open. And it's indeed a matter of personal preference.

• @RRRR But once you take into account the distortion compensation, which would be compensated for by the GH2, the distortion on the Oly is virtually non-existant.

The SLR Magic is very soft in the corners, even when stopped down to f/2: http://kanauru.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/edge02.jpg and has some very ugly flaring, whereas the Oly is much more controlled: http://kanauru.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/00123.MTS_snapshot_00.10_2011.12.17_14.35.29-1024x576.jpg

Obviously it's down to personal opinion at the end of the day, but the IQ of the Oly is far higher.

• @Ptchaw I think the barrel distortion of the OLY looks more unnatural (at least in video) than the slr magic, that is the point I'm making. I have not tried to correct either of them in post so I can't say how that works out for either of them (video footage) as I have not tried.. Distortion is to be expected on such a wide lens even if there are aspherical (correcting) elements in it. Soft is a relative term that is only fit to describe your own tastes..

In terms of resolving power, the slr magic is very OK for such a wide lens. I would certainly not descibe it as soft, when stopped down to f2.8 or so..

Off the cuff I think the slr magic seems the current bargain (if you can deal with the hassle) in this focal length.

here you can get the facts:

OLY distortion: http://www.photozone.de/olympus--four-thirds-lens-tests/673-oly12f2?start=1 (hover on the image to see the raw, uncorrected image)

SLR Magic distortion: http://www.photozone.de/olympus--four-thirds-lens-tests/685-slrmagic_12_16?start=1

And you can easily see that the difference in resolving power between the two isn't massive. A slight edge for the OLY.

• Send back your Voigtlander 25's then folks - soft's officially out lol

• @RRRR Anyone who says they prefer barrel distortion or softness over sharper, rectilinear lenses is lying to themselves. A lens with no distortion is the most 'natural'. If you want to loose resolution, gaussian blur to your hearts content.

• Third pic didn't fit in 1st post.

_P1000469s.jpg
    4752 x 3168 - 3M
  • Mine came in as well. Even a couple of days earlier than promised. Here's a couple of pics (GH2). Only the trees had a bit of Photoshop treatment. Didn't take any representative video's with it yet. Working on that tomorrow.

I like.

_P1000508e.jpg
    3360 x 2240 - 3M
    _P1000482.JPG
    4752 x 3168 - 6M
  • Well, if you have a quick look at seb farges quick test of oly 12mm and slr magic 12mm, I wouldn't say there's a massive difference in terms of "clinical" (both are pretty clean, depending on how they are used):

If anything, I quite prefer the barrel distortion of the slr-magic (looks more natural IMO).. The main difference to slower offerings / other lenses in similar focal length is that there are more particular / extreme looks available from the slr magic: flares, extreme close ups w. heavy bokeh e.t.c. but you can also used it stepped down, sharp. Maybe not THE sharpest of the lot, but sharp enough to do the job for such occasions.

• It seems i totally forgot to post this video sample in this thread! I posted it in the driftwood thread since I was mainly testing the patch but it's also a nice lens test ;)

• @allenswrench

There are lots of "FD" word. So how's the image quality from 12mm 1.6? Any sample footage for sharing? Thanks.